Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clubfitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Tones69 wrote: »
    Exact same clubs/shafts/grips from Horans will be no cheaper than any other place i can guarantee you that. The extra price comes in with shafts. You could be fit into the likes of a dynamic gold or kbs tour though and the upcharge on them is minimal. Only when you get into the project x/nippon/kbs c taper shafts your talking at an extra 250ish. Some grips also are 15 quid each and some are 5 each.

Well, I think I would stick with original manufacturer grips to start as to change them straight off seems to be OTT to me and going into too fine of margins at my handicap.

In terms of shaft, If they recommend me a high end shaft at Foregolf, can I say Id like something at a lower price that is still beneficial but not as what they would advise. ie. They would fit the cheaper one If I wanted?

Also with foregolf, could I specify that I only wanted a 5i to PW which would be only 6 clubs or must I buy a full set of 7 irons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

poteen wrote: »
    Well, I think I would stick with original manufacturer grips to start as to change them straight off seems to be OTT to me and going into too fine of margins at my handicap.

In terms of shaft, If they recommend me a high end shaft at Foregolf, can I say Id like something at a lower price that is still beneficial but not as what they would advise. ie. They would fit the cheaper one If I wanted?

Also with foregolf, could I specify that I only wanted a 5i to PW which would be only 6 clubs or must I buy a full set of 7 irons?

Soooo 18 handicappers cant choose a different grip?? Ive honestly no answer for that question. Also what is the point in going to get custom fit for X shaft for you to turn around to them and say you wabt Y shaft cos its cheaper? Again i dont know what to say to you, what do you actually want out of the fitting? You can have as many irons as you want. 2-pw or 6-pw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

I think you'd only change grip if another grip was one you really liked/wanted. Thickness etc can be adjusted for most any grip.

Re shafts, you could tell them whatever, they're pretty open to conversation and certainly don't do "the hard sell". I'm not a promoter of them at all, and was firmly in the sceptic camp prior to my fitting, but their only motivation (running a business aside) seems to be to get you the best performing combination of head/shaft. They will welcome your input and you'll probably get a better fitting as a result of contributing. A cynic might wonder if they find a way to fit everyone into whatever bulk lot of shafts they got in this month, but, as with buying anything at all in life, there has to be some element of trust. I ended up with Nippons which were €45 per club to get my existing irons reshafted, including grip - my own pro was €55, granted the grip was a more expensive one than Foregolf's one, but its not like they're a total ripoff or anything.

I was given a price per club for the irons, so I could choose to get them all or just some etc. It might turn out that the best set for you only has five or six irons and the rest hybrids for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Soooo 18 handicappers cant choose a different grip?? Ive honestly no answer for that question. Also what is the point in going to get custom fit for X shaft for you to turn around to them and say you wabt Y shaft cos its cheaper? Again i dont know what to say to you, what do you actually want out of the fitting? You can have as many irons as you want. 2-pw or 6-pw

You cannot compare grips with shafts, c'mon now.......he is asking if there's anyway he can save a few quid, reasonable question but the real answer is that the clubs will be so expensive that not upgrading the grips is going to have a tiny %age difference to the price.

Personally I'm always astonished at the price of clubs from Foregolf quoted on here - whether or not you want to pay it is up to you.

You cannot compare grips with shafts, c'mon now.......he is asking if there's anyway he can save a few quid, reasonable question but the real answer is that the clubs will be so expensive that not upgrading the grips is going to have a tiny %age difference to the price.

Personally I'm always astonished at the price of clubs from Foregolf quoted on here - whether or not you want to pay it is up to you.

Thats what im getting at. So I might say that I want the shaft that best suits me within for example Cobras shafts even if they say that a non Cobra shaft is better suited. I think its a reasonable enough statement.

We would all like a Ferrari but maybe we can only afford a BMW. Its still a great car but no Ferrari....

In terms of Grip, Id just find it hard to bin the original manufacturer grip straight off and would use them at least until the point that I didnt like them. Surely you have to start off with them.

• Advertisement

Who compared shaft and grip? He asked about both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Who compared shaft and grip? He asked about both

I think there is a little lost in communication here, I belive he is saying the comparison with the importance of shafts vs grips, The right shaft is vital, the right compound of grip, while important, not completely vital, so he may save a few of his hard earned by not going for, say a GP Niion or Multicompound which may carry a surcharge of up to 15€, and just electing to go with a GP Tour Velvet or the like.

neckedit wrote: »
    I think there is a little lost in communication here, I belive he is saying the comparison with the importance of shafts vs grips, The right shaft is vital, the right compound of grip, while important, not completely vital, so he may save a few of his hard earned by not going for, say a GP Niion or Multicompound which may carry a surcharge of up to 15€, and just electing to go with a GP Tour Velvet or the like.

Ah i think i was misunderstood. I meant yeah the difference could be a tenner in each grip so he obviously could save a lot there. As stated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I don't think forgolf charge for the grips. They didn't for me anyway. I got the golf pride patriot ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Foregolf just ask what grip you want, the price doesn't change depending what you chose . They won't be taking off a grip to put on your preference as they start with the shaft from scratch so there won't be any grip on it to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Would the difference be that much to a 18 handicapper?

Somewhere between immeasureable and non-existant.

Somewhere between immeasureable and non-existant.

Thats what I figured. The debate is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Ronney

To Keep the costs down, as mentioned above,

Go with standard grips all top brands have a pretty good stock grip. In a few years it will be a nice treat to regrip them to a "better grip"

Also for an 18 h/c stock shafts should be fine, just down to Steel or Graphite and Regular or Stiff.

If there is a certain brand you prefer or like the look of, you could find a fitting day where they usually refund the cost €30-50 against any purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

I picked up a driver from them last week, with a shaft upgrade factored in, the price was comparable with regular shops. Of course, you could wait for end-of-line discounts etc. but that's not much use if you want something other than a stock shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 arkslippy123

I got fitted by Derek a few years ago, at the time I had a set of irons with dynalite gold s300 shafts, a driver I liked and 2 standard Callaway steel shafted fairway woods. I hit a good few shots and marked the board for impact ect. He asked what I would like to change about my driver if anything. I mentioned a heavier feeling shaft with a slightly lower flight. Fairway woods hardly ever used.

So he said to stick with my irons as I fell between stiff and regular but to have them a little longer and upright. He got me to try a few shafts, no mention of prices but the one I liked he had int the same head as mine. Price wise it was at the lower ed, no upsell pressure. He did recommend a wedge though to fill a gap which I bought. He did some adjustment and grinded the sole to reduce bounce. It was almost the Same price as retail. I got the driver shafted. I got my Spec sheet and when I had a few quid I ordered new irons directly from the manufacturer to my specs.

I'm still using those irons and wedge and ive changed driver twice but I learned enough that day to be able to judge specs on clubs retail to order custom shafts and lofts lies extra thick grips as I need them.

Look at it as a doctors consultation, there is a cost involved but its a bit of fun and to be honest 100 Euro for the guys time and expertise is well worth it. If you are planing on buying from him, challenge him on price and there should be a discount on the clubs to the value of half the fitting. If hes not competitive, walk away and order through retailer or direct from the manufacturer.

dubber wrote: »
    I picked up a driver from them last week, with a shaft upgrade factored in, the price was comparable with regular shops. Of course, you could wait for end-of-line discounts etc. but that's not much use if you want something other than a stock shaft.

Care to share the details with us?

Care to share the details with us?

Sure. I went in looking to see if I could improve on my Mizuno MP650. I hit
    a few with my own driver first, the numbers were pretty good, unfortunately
    I forgot to take a pic, but smash factor was around 1.47, launch 14 degrees
    and spin around 2.4/2.5K from what I remember. I tried out a few heads and shafts, the callaway big bertha alpha was the most consistent, same ball speeds/smash and launch as my Mizuno, but managed to drop the spin a few hundred rpm using a lower loft and stiffer tipped shaft on the bba,
    so was getting a few extra yards carry and roll. To be honest, the biggest thing I learned was my current driver is an excellent head and pretty good fit for me, but as my golf piggy bank had some reserve, I couldn't resist the allure of a new driver and a few extra yards never hurts.
    There was no hard sell, fitter even said current driver was really good.
    I haven't tested it side-by-side on the course yet. Price was 20e more than cheapest retailer in Ireland for an equivalent setup, but got a green fee for kileen castle from fg which equalised the cost.

Sure. I went in looking to see if I could improve on my Mizuno MP650. I hit
    a few with my own driver first, the numbers were pretty good, unfortunately
    I forgot to take a pic, but smash factor was around 1.47, launch 14 degrees
    and spin around 2.4/2.5K from what I remember. I tried out a few heads and shafts, the callaway big bertha alpha was the most consistent, same ball speeds/smash and launch as my Mizuno, but managed to drop the spin a few hundred rpm using a lower loft and stiffer tipped shaft on the bba,
    so was getting a few extra yards carry and roll. To be honest, the biggest thing I learned was my current driver is an excellent head and pretty good fit for me, but as my golf piggy bank had some reserve, I couldn't resist the allure of a new driver and a few extra yards never hurts.
    There was no hard sell, fitter even said current driver was really good.
    I haven't tested it side-by-side on the course yet. Price was 20e more than cheapest retailer in Ireland for an equivalent setup.

What shaft were you fitted for and what was the price quoted - I'm genuinely interested as most people I've spoken to paid RRP for their stuff.

What shaft were you fitted for and what was the price quoted - I'm genuinely interested as most people I've spoken to paid RRP for their stuff.

Aldila Phenom NL, which isn't a Callaway option, but closest Aldila is 80e surcharge with Callaway afaik, mcguirks would have been 20e cheaper with a similar aldila ...

Aldila Phenom NL, which isn't a Callaway option, but closest Aldila is 80e surcharge with Callaway afaik, mcguirks would have been 20e cheaper with a similar aldila ...

So what was the total price they quoted you?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing about €420 for that club, it's not one of the cheaper ones!

Does anyone know if Foregolf do fittings on a Saturday?

Friend of mine asked me today but I didn't know even though I've been there twice myself

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭skstretch

How does PureGolf in Leopardstown compare...
    I used Foregolf years ago and found them great, altho a little more expensive,
    not that I wouldnt go back just that Pure Golf is closer now

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭InterestedK

Does anybody know if they fit for Srixon or Titleist clubs?

Cant see it on their website but not sure if they left it out or not!

Thanks!

Does anybody know if they fit for Srixon or Titleist clubs?

Cant see it on their website but not sure if they left it out or not!

Thanks!

Deffo fit for titleist anyway not sure on srixon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

A mate got Srixon irons from them and they recommended a Srixon driver for me.

I'm heading to Foregolf next week. Third time there. Been just over two years since last visit so will be interesting to see if there are any changes to my specs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did you see improvement over the last 2 years?

Handicap has gone 8 to 4 in that 2 year period. 13 to 8 in the two years 2010-2012
    So happy enough with how the clubs have helped along the way. still have the irons i was fitted the for in 2010, in 2012 David said he didn't think there was any need to change.
    Changed woods in 2012 as my shot shape would have changed quite a bit in the previous year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

big_drive wrote: »
    I'm heading to Foregolf next week. Third time there. Been just over two years since last visit so will be interesting to see if there are any changes to my specs

How did it go this time around?

Did you get most benefit from woods or irons after fitting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement