Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlay Park.

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Ive been to marlay park a number of times and everytime I see the ponds there I think these would make a perfect coarse fishery. They are well established ponds with mature growth most of the way around them. I know nothing about making a fishery but to it would seem like a really good spot to do it. A few fishing platforms around the pond as well as stocking it. There is a serious amount of weed there so that would have to be cleaned out. Ive no idea of the depth but there is an old boat house so there might be some depth to it. It looks to me to be a perfect opportunity for DLRCC to utilise this feature. I dont know how people would feel about paying for such a thing in a public park but surley a small fee to help towards upkeep and baliffs would be acceptable.
    3681071177_3337fc4954.jpg1845411656_9126090512.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Some parks are managed to protect flora, and some are managed with a protection bias towards fauna, which would iclude ducks, aquatic birds, fish etc.
    You can read the byelaws which are usually on a sign just inside the main entrances into every park.
    Based on my recollection, admittedly from many years ago, I don't think Marlay will ever be a place where fishing is permitted.

The ponds are a part of the Owendoher stream, headwaters, which are a part of the River Dodder, a trout river. So stocking alien species into those ponds would be eventually stocking the Dodder with the same species, because small fish drop downstream in the natural run of time. So coarse fish would not be natural in such an ecosystem.

The species present are trout, minnow (a few), sticklebacks, stoneloach, all species that are low ph tolerant and native species, and typically present in mountain streams in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

That is reasonable enough Coolwings. I suppose i was thinking coarse fishing beacuse it as so weedy and looked like fairly still water still is has potential if things were improved to make it more of a trout fishery instead. Like you said its probably not possible that there will ever be any fishing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

as a matter of interest is there any fish in those ponds at the moment??

I havent seen any life or movement in them the last few times Ive been there. They are very over grown with weed so it would be hard enough to spot them.

You should have seen the trout that were in them a year after the stream was dammed and flooded the dry land to make the lakes.
    They were the second biggest trout I ever saw in a Dodder tributary, all around 2-3lbs and with a lovely mountain trout speckle pattern colour, clearly visible in the clear water for the public to see and admire.
    Then they all disappeared at the same time ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Then they all disappeared at the same time ....

inst that a big surprise.........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

the lakes in the phoenix park look "coarsey" they might be worth a shot?

Perch, carp, rudd, perch, more perch .... did I mention perch?
    It was many years ago.

Someone may have fresh info.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/about/naturebiodiversity/wetland/

Pity the two biggest lakes are in the Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

grew up beside Marlay Park.
    remember we used to go up and try catch small trout in the streams leading into the lakes- we hadn't a clue :)
    Very small trout- presume they're still there.

• Advertisement

There was a one off pollution in the stream that comes out of the Golf Course a long time ago. I would expect the finger size mountain trout are long since re-established.
    Must take a walk up along it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I was under the impression you couldn't fish in the phoenix park ? , there were plenty of carp in there at one stage.. hard to know what left now ..

Setting up a commercial in Marley would be tough if the stream has been blocked off, you'd need some way to oxygenation the water

Advertisement