Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He lied about his age

• 30-08-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been seeing a lovely guy now for nearly 4 months, everything is going really well and I haven't been this happy in a long time.

So last night he tells me that he lied about his age, he said he was 32 but he's actually 33 (I'm 30). He said he lied at the start cos he thought the age gap might bother me (would not bother me in the slightest), and he didn't know how things would go between us.

Is this odd or just a silly little white lie that went on for 4 months? Any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I wouldn't pass any remarks. If he actually turned out to be 53 then perhaps but lying over a year just smacks of immaturity more than anything, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you see a pattern of lots of other seemingly innocuous lies then I might have cause for concern if it seems to be a regular thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There's not much difference between 32 and 33 so it seems like a silly thing to lie about. My cynical mind is thinking perhaps he is even older than that and is checking to see your reaction. How sure are you now that he's 33??

If he's being genuine, it seems like a fairly immature thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd get it if he said he was 28 instead of 27 (and knocking a year off the difference) but less so if he was older. Maybe he had it in his head that 3 years might have been to a touch too much to you. Or other innocuous reasons.

On its own I wouldn't pass any remarks but of it was part of a pattern of white lies it might be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Its no big deal. Its something he just did in the spur of the moment to ensure you were more likely to go out with him, he didn't think it through and it doesn't mean that he's a liar where important issues are concerned. I wouldn't judge him harshly unless you started to notice a pattern of lies. Enjoy your relationship and good luck.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's even older again. A needless lie like that would be a big red flag for me OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

Ah common! Lads do this all the time meeting girls but it turned out he liked you and you stayed together so then he came clean. It's a bit immature but signifies nothing significant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

why one year though. Why was he so sure in his head that x years would be a deal breaker but x-1 would be acceptable ?

I reckon he's older too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

why one year though. Why was he so sure in his head that x years would be a deal breaker but x-1 would be acceptable ?

I reckon he's older too

I once told a girl that I was 25 when I was really 24. I would have turned 25 in three months time. So I lied by three months, never mind a year. She'd told me she was 29, had a very brief thought of "crap, she'll probably think I'm way to k young for her" and then without thinking about it for a split second more '25' popped out of my mouth. Straight away thought "well that was a ridiculously silly thing to do." But couldn't just admit right then to having done something so ridiculous. Just kind of happened.

Didn't mean I was really 14 and didn't mean I was a pathological lier. Just a brain fart kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I would ask to see his drivers licence, no seriously lol just for your own peace of mind in case you're worried he is really a few more years than he's maintaining!

Other than that don't sweat it too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I reckon he is older, I met a guy when I was 28 who said he was 32. Then he was 34 and then he was 38. I didn't really care how old he was, I just fancied him rotten and it was a purely physical thing. But the lies were a sign that he was a complete drama queen and he started lying about all sorts of other things. So I would get to the bottom of the lie before things move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I kinda don't get why he would lie and say he's 32 instead of 33, did he turn 33 just before you met and he made a mistake? If there was an age gap it might make sense but when there isn't much of an gap IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Bit odd to lie about one year. Especially when you are so similar in age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 conor8989

Sarah801 wrote: »
    So I've been seeing a lovely guy now for nearly 4 months, everything is going really well and I haven't been this happy in a long time.

So last night he tells me that he lied about his age, he said he was 32 but he's actually 33 (I'm 30). He said he lied at the start cos he thought the age gap might bother me (would not bother me in the slightest), and he didn't know how things would go between us.

Is this odd or just a silly little white lie that went on for 4 months? Any comments would be appreciated

i wouldnt worry about it he made a mistake and was probley worried that when he told you the truth you might have finished it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Call me cynical but my first thought would also be he's closer to 40 than 33. His explanation for the lie makes no sense.

Yeah if he was really 33 I don't get why he'd lie at all, as you could barely even call three years an age gap. It could be a fairly innocent (albeit strange) while lie, but I would be suspicious that he's older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I think he could be more than 33, maybe 35. Did he tell you his age first? Maybe he thought you were younger than 32 and was afraid that telling you his real age would ruin his chances.

If you like him tell him you don't mind what age he is and ask to see his passport or driving licence. If he turns out to be 35 or even 38 and you're ok with that ask him not to tell you lies in future. Tell him you like him for who he is and that honesty and trust are important to you.

Advertisement