Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation maths for sixth year?

Options
  • 29-08-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I have dyscalculia which is a learning disability that's basically the dyslexia equivalent of maths. I've been in ordinary maths since 2nd year but in 5th year I really struggled with it - I even got grinds but it didn't help much, which isn't to do with my grind but due to my learning disability. My teacher also isn't that great.
    I failed the summer exam by a few marks, and my mam's suggesting I move to foundation level for this year. Although I know I won't get any marks for it, I'd much rather focus more on my better subjects (English, History and Biology) than be constantly stressing over maths. Also, none of the courses I'm interested in have a maths requirement so I wouldn't be affected in that sense.
    Basically, I want to know if I'm doing the right thing in moving to foundation level? Like, is there any serious disadvantages I'd be at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

http://www.independent.ie/life/family/learning/add-it-up-picking-the-best-maths-level-for-you-26469319.html :)

Is it more sensible for more candidates who are not comfortable with maths to take it at foundation level, asked a caller, or are there any disadvantages in doing so? Does foundation-level maths satisfy college entry requirements?
    The answer is that foundation-level maths is acceptable as a subject for entry for a broad range of third-level courses, particularly in the institute of technology sector, subject to certain specifications. Six of the colleges participating in the CAO system will not accept it.
    Many colleges, even the universities and the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT), will accept foundation-level maths as a subject to satisfy minimum entry requirements, but will not award points for it, and will not accept it as satisfying a specific course requirement for maths.
    However about 16 colleges, including most of the institutes of technology and several private colleges, will consider foundation-level maths as a passing subject and will award points for it as follows: A1=20; A2=15; B1=10; B2=5.
    The maths requirement for many courses in this sector is satisfied by a grade D or higher at ordinary level, a grade E or higher at higher level, or a Grade B2 or higher at foundation level.
    Foundation-level maths is not accepted for consideration for entry to any honours degree in nursing.
    So foundation-level maths could be the answer for students who are not choosing third-level courses with a significant maths component. Where maths is significant, applicants should present with at least ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

aisxo1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have dyscalculia which is a learning disability that's basically the dyslexia equivalent of maths. I've been in ordinary maths since 2nd year but in 5th year I really struggled with it - I even got grinds but it didn't help much, which isn't to do with my grind but due to my learning disability. My teacher also isn't that great.
    I failed the summer exam by a few marks, and my mam's suggesting I move to foundation level for this year. Although I know I won't get any marks for it, I'd much rather focus more on my better subjects (English, History and Biology) than be constantly stressing over maths. Also, none of the courses I'm interested in have a maths requirement so I wouldn't be affected in that sense.
    Basically, I want to know if I'm doing the right thing in moving to foundation level? Like, is there any serious disadvantages I'd be at?

if you are finding maths at ol level to be difficult then there is really no point in struggling with it. at least in foundation there is self satisfaction when you are able to do it. I found ol irish difficult so went to foundation irish.

Advertisement