Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script viewing: rounding up error

Options
  • 29-08-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

So I went to view a few scripts yesterday and in biology i got 359 out of 400 marks which is 89.75%. The teachers in my school said it should have been rounded up to 90 and thus I should have gotten an A1 instead of an A2. Is this true? is it worth getting it re-checked? I feel like it was very harsh as I would have gone up by 10 points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

dazzadazza wrote:
    So I went to view a few scripts yesterday and in biology i got 359 out of 400 marks which is 89.75%. The teachers in my school said it should have been rounded up to 90 and thus I should have gotten an A1 instead of an A2. Is this true? is it worth getting it re-checked? I feel like it was very harsh as I would have gone up by 10 points.

I thought they never round up

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

No unfortunately they don't round up. The minimum grade for an A1 is 90%.
    I suppose the way to look at it is that an A1 in Biology is 360 marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I'm not sure but I don't think they round up, like 89.95% would still be an A2. Like if you can find the two marks to bring it up to an A1, then it can be brought up but I don't think they can round up. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

OMGeary wrote: »
    I thought they never round up

Really? Were you told by a teacher or?

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Really? Were you told by a teacher or?

I am a teacher and have lots of experience of this unfortunately. Many an A narrowly missed! I had a girl one year got 84.66 repeating but unfortunately that was a B1 and she missed her A.

I was very disappointed with the standard of correcting yesterday. Not so much the marking schemes but crazy errors in totting up. One girl got 41 out of 65 in a question which they incorrectly totted as 31. Another lad had a B3 written on his transcript two weeks ago and an A on the paper when he viewed it yesterday. Careless stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

skippy1977 wrote: »
    I am a teacher and have lots of experience of this unfortunately. Many an A1 missed. I had a girl one year got 84.66 repeating but unfortunately that was a B1 and she missed her A.

I was very disappointed with the standard of correcting yesterday. Not so much the marking schemes but crazy errors in totting up. One girl got 41 out of 65 in a question which they incorrectly totted as 31. Careless stuff.

Oh ok. Thanks. I guess I'll get it re-checked anyway to see if they can find a mark somewhere.

dazzadazza wrote: »
    Oh ok. Thanks. I guess I'll get it re-checked anyway to see if they can find a mark somewhere.

Exactly, no harm, and very little chance of it going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

skippy1977 wrote: »
    No unfortunately they don't round up. The minimum grade for an A1 is 90%.
    I suppose the way to look at it is that an A1 in Biology is 360 marks.

This is the issue. Grades are awarded based on the number of marks received. Examiners might not even assign percentages to the scripts they mark because of this. Mark scheme says people need 360 to get A1, then you missed out on it by just one mark. It happens.

Get it rechecked. Very unlikely you will drop down a grade.

Advertisement