Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curved or not?

• 25-08-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Bought a new Samsung 32" Full HD tv 7 years and am still using it to this day. Great tv.
    Anyhow, Looking to replace it now and am looking at 40"
    I would like 3d.for the occasional movie.

Also looked at a curved samsung in my local shop last week and it looked cool..
    But.
    Is that as far as it goes? Looking cool?

Is it worth it or should I stick with flat 3D ?

Think it was thing one only dearer in the store.

http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/samsung-ue40j6300-curved-led-smart-tv/22613421-a.html#srcid=10264&merch=1

All suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Curved displays are just a nicety, some will find them more pleasing to the eye and thats it, they don't do anything else.

3D is dead more or less, some TV's still support it but were starting to see new TV's without it again so you've managed to wait through the all the rage, fad and now were in twilight phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

catfax wrote: »
    Curved displays are just a nicety, some will find them more pleasing to the eye and thats it, they don't do anything else.

3D is dead more or less, some TV's still support it but were starting to see new TV's without it again so you've managed to wait through the all the rage, fad and now were in twilight phase.

Any suggestions on something decent and fairly future proof? ( for a while anyway)

OLED 4K/UHD displays are the hot new thing however they are flagship TV's and cost quite a bit as they tend to be in the 60" or greater range. It's really the OLED display tech that is the worthwhile part if they just made 40" TV's with that those would be the one to get, unfortunately they don't. Samsung go as low as 48" for OLED but your still looking at over 2000-3000 euro for a series 9 TV with OLED.

Beneath them are the LED 4K/UHD displays, whether you really need 4K is debatable, there is little content that takes advantage of 4K resolution, most of it [thats worth watching] is on Netflix or Amazon. Your TV needs HDMI 2.0 ports as well in order to display legal 4K material via set top boxes that might offer Netflix/Amazon or via the forthcoming 4K Blu-ray standard, most new 4K sets have HDMI 2.0 but not all do so be sure to check when buying.

(4K Netflix is present on Samsung TV's own app store system but not sure on Amazon)

Underneath that are regular LED 1080p TV's, can't go wrong with those even newer models will offer improvements over your current TV set.

If you feel like splashing out the Samsung JU7000 can be gotten in 40" and is a 4K/UHD display with HDMI 2.0 and support for 3D so your bases are covered, they go for around 1500 euro roughly.

32" TV's are largely legacy products in Samsungs line [up older generation products kept around for budget market], any model will do and local stores should likely have them so you can check them out.

OLED 4K/UHD displays are the hot new thing however they are flagship TV's and cost quite a bit as they tend to be in the 60" or greater range. It's really the OLED display tech that is the worthwhile part if they just made 40" TV's with that those would be the one to get, unfortunately they don't. Samsung go as low as 48" for OLED but your still looking at over 2000-3000 euro for a series 9 TV with OLED.

Beneath them are the LED 4K/UHD displays, whether you really need 4K is debatable, there is little content that takes advantage of 4K resolution, most of it [thats worth watching] is on Netflix or Amazon. Your TV needs HDMI 2.0 ports as well in order to display legal 4K material via set top boxes that might offer Netflix/Amazon or via the forthcoming 4K Blu-ray standard, most new 4K sets have HDMI 2.0 but not all do so be sure to check when buying.

(4K Netflix is present on Samsung TV's own app store system but not sure on Amazon)

Underneath that are regular LED 1080p TV's, can't go wrong with those even newer models will offer improvements over your current TV set.

If you feel like splashing out the Samsung JU7000 can be gotten in 40" and is a 4K/UHD display with HDMI 2.0 and support for 3D so your bases are covered, they go for around 1500 euro roughly.

32" TV's are largely legacy products in Samsungs line [up older generation products kept around for budget market], any model will do and local stores should likely have them so you can check them out.

What would you think of this one?
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/lg-40lf630v-smart-40-led-tv/332638/397.0.3

Yeah that looks fine, as I said you cant go wrong with the 1080p 32-40" sets from Samsung or LG they are all decent.

If you still want 3D, that model does not support it, the LG website allows you to filter which models do have it. LG I would recommend more for 3D as they typically used passive glasses instead of the active type glasses Samsung used which cause headaches (for some people but not all).

• Advertisement

Yeah.
    Not pushed about 3d now to be honest.
    I am probably going to annoy you but how about this?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx40cx680b/pana-tx40cx680b

Yeah that's a pretty good deal for a 4K set with a discount on top (panasonicstore.ie sells it for 889 euros) I'd go for it. It has HDMI 2.0 ports as well.

Panasonic's are good TV's but totally rubbish with the smart TV side however Panasonic finally realized this and are now using Firefox OS for the smart side of their sets, Firefox OS is still pretty new (Panny are the only ones using so far) but it's gotten good reviews & that model has it so it's still better than the old Viera smart system even if Firefox OS never becomes too popular.

OK
    Time is coming close to making my decision
    I had it down to this

Sony
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201289-bravia-kdl40w705cbu.aspx

But just spotted this today
    http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/lg-40uf695v-ultra-hd-led-smart-tv-television/22703462-a.html#srcid=10264&merch=1

I suppose the Sony would be the TV of choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'd have a Sony in preference, have a 42" W653A that I got in Argos October 13 for €488 and a 50" Panasonic G10 that was €1300, great vivid picture on the Sony, watch it more than the Panny :-)
    Pixmania haven't the best reputation around here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you still want 3D, that model does not support it, the LG website allows you to filter which models do have it.

sorry for jumping on thread but as you mentioned 3D...

Does it ever come close to the RealD 3D levels you see in the cinema?

I would fancy getting a 3D-capable TV just to see Dredd 3D, Tron Legacy or Avatar as good as (or close to) they were in the cinema.

I'd be looking at a 55", probably Samsung, for less than €1,700, so might wait for sales in a few months.

EDIT: Spotted the Samsung UE55JU7500 .. it's curved, but specs look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I'm jumping in here too as I'm looking to upgrade my old 32 inch Sony Bravia to a 40-43 inch Smart TV. I've been in to a few local shops and while I have always been a Sony fan, the best deals seem to be in Samsung and Panasonic.
    The best deal in a Bricks and Morter shop seems to be the Samsung Curved Screen UE40J6300 for €689. http://www.did.ie/samsung-40-curved-full-hd-led-smart-tv-ue40j6300akxx-prd
    I spotted a Sony KDL42W829 for €749 but I think it's last years model.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or should I just go for the Samsung?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

mrcheez wrote: »
    sorry for jumping on thread but as you mentioned 3D...

Does it ever come close to the RealD 3D levels you see in the cinema?

I would fancy getting a 3D-capable TV just to see Dredd 3D, Tron Legacy or Avatar as good as (or close to) they were in the cinema.

I'd be looking at a 55", probably Samsung, for less than €1,700, so might wait for sales in a few months.

EDIT: Spotted the Samsung UE55JU7500 .. it's curved, but specs look good

Looking at that too,have been saving up for the 55" cx802b but the sammy caught my eye ,very nice TV and had an extra 7% off last week.Has 3% off this week so would work out at about €1680 inc. delivery.Same set is €2759 in harvey norman!
    Would be planking it ordering through Pixmania though.
    Just noticed Computer Parts Ireland have it for €1549 but know nothing about this company and would be very cautious about ordering through them,might just continue saving and get the panny off Richer Sounds later on in the year as they have a good rep,any advice any one?

ben101 wrote: »
    Just noticed Computer Parts Ireland have it for €1549 but know nothing about this company and would be very cautious about ordering through them

lol I spotted that very same price, and have similar reservations about them, but found a thread that seems to say they are fine to deal with: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056659178

Very tempted.

lol I spotted that very same price, and have similar reservations about them, but found a thread that seems to say they are fine to deal with: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056659178

Very tempted.

Yeah ,saw that when i was looking at an LG last year.The sammy looks like a beaut though for the price.Going around in circles what with curved,flat,HDR etc.really really confused at the mo:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yeah ,saw that when i was looking at an LG last year.The sammy looks like a beaut though for the price.Going around in circles what with curved,flat,HDR etc.really really confused at the mo:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It is confusing alright... one reason I might opt for a curved is that it seems to offer a wider-effective viewing angle.

At the moment I swivel my 37" flatscreen TV when other people are in the room and need to be able to see the screen, but the curved effect seems to allow people not sitting directly in front of the TV to have a better view without having to swivel the TV (none of the 55" I've found allow swivelling, so this might be a solution for my scenario!)

This is what I experienced while checking out the curved TVs in PowerCity vs the flat screens to their side.

Some pros and cons here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/curved-tvs-the-pros-and-cons

Set is €2759 in harvey norman!
    Just noticed Computer Parts Ireland have it for €1549 but know nothing about this company

Just curious, with Harvey Norman's Best Price Guarantee (http://www.harveynorman.ie/corporate-information/best-price-guarantee.html) wouldn't it be possible to pay 1549 or less in Harvey Norman as well?

Would prefer to pick up the TV from a local shop than online.

Just curious, with Harvey Norman's Best Price Guarantee (http://www.harveynorman.ie/corporate-information/best-price-guarantee.html) wouldn't it be possible to pay 1549 or less in Harvey Norman as well?

Would prefer to pick up the TV from a local shop than online.

If it was a couple of hundred they might but can't see them knocking over a grand off it,there is normally a clause in the fine print to say its got to be a bricks and mortar store ,I remember trying that with Richer sounds ,wouldn't do it because the Pixmania TV was intended for a different country and had slightly different specs and warranty.😞

Going to go for the Sony.
    Will buy local. 5 years warranty is enought for me.
    Thanks.

Harvey norman was out of stock yesterday
    Currys had them but only offered one year warranty. > Walked out and left it. :)

OK
    Just picked up the Sony in my local Expert store.

• Advertisement

Right
    Update.
    Not a happy bunny :(
    Took down my trusty 7 year old Samsung 32" full hd which never left me down.

Hooked up this one.
    Watched different channels on it for about half hour or so after setting it up.

Went upstairs. Returned about 5 minutes later to this :(

Dead line of pixels?

So Pi$$ed off right now.
    Have to try drop it back tomorrow morning even though I really don't have the time.
    Also don't want a replacement of a same set as I have a theory. If the first one fails buy a different model.
    Should I stick with Samsung and get a 40" ?

If they have one in stock that is. otherwise would I be entitled to a refund though I paid by card?

2015-09-20%2017.06.31_zpsjponlchg.jpg

2015-09-20%2017.06.31_zpsjponlchg.jpg

2015-09-20%2017.01.11_zpsumjnsudl.jpg

2015-09-20%2016.58.01_zpsowzobnn1.jpg

2015-09-20%2016.56.25_zpstylkqjdc.jpg

vectra wrote: »
    Also don't want a replacement of a same set as I have a theory. If the first one fails buy a different model.
    Should I stick with Samsung and get a 40" ?

The chances of two screens having the same issue would be minimal I'd say (perhaps Google it).

If you are happy with the display apart from the line, just get a replacement, otherwise go for Samsung (my personal choice) as they are pretty bullet-proof imho.

The chances of two screens having the same issue would be minimal I'd say (perhaps Google it).

If you are happy with the display apart from the line, just get a replacement, otherwise go for Samsung (my personal choice) as they are pretty bullet-proof imho.

Sony aren't as good as they used to be,customer reviews of the latest range are not fantastic overall Bought a Sony 46 smart TV in 2011 which sony more or last abandoned so the smart features are useless,fair bit of clouding too.Have to agree with the Sammy,got a 50 inch plasma about 5 or 6 years agoec and never had an issue with it,lovely picture too.Gonna wait till the next wave of sales,black friday or Xmas and might take the plunge then .Was going for a Panny because of full array HDR but gonna check out that set and the Samsung js7500 in Harvey Normans over the next few weeks.

Hmm.
    They are getting a new order in from Sony this week and asked if I would be ok to wait for one. I said ok.
    But should I go get a samsung instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ok tv experts, should I buy this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-49UF770V-Ultra-Inch-Model/dp/B00VLS5OII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443184106&sr=8-1&keywords=49uf770v
    Or this:
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U57RDC6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Don't care about curved or not, don't care about 3D.
    Want 4K and the best spec (for around this price).
    Also don't care that the German spec TV probably doesn't support freeview/saorview.
    Paying less for the Samsung than the Amazon price.
    suggestions welcome, thanks!

flyguy wrote: »
    Ok tv experts, should I buy this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-49UF770V-Ultra-Inch-Model/dp/B00VLS5OII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443184106&sr=8-1&keywords=49uf770v
    Or this:
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00U57RDC6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Don't care about curved or not, don't care about 3D.
    Want 4K and the best spec (for around this price).
    Also don't care that the German spec TV probably doesn't support freeview/saorview.
    Paying less for the Samsung than the Amazon price.
    suggestions welcome, thanks!

You can pick up the sammy for e660 Inc.del. on pixmania so for that reason alone it looks like a good buy.

Do you have a link for it? I can only find the 6500,6510,6570 and all a lot more than that.

Do you have a link for it? I can only find the 6500,6510,6570 and all a lot more than that.

Sorry,my bad ,wrong TV standard def I was looking at😳

lovely panny 50 inch at DID ,10% extra off this weekend,
    http://www.did.ie/panasonic-50-tx-50cx680b-prd
    work out about 920e with delivery

• Advertisement

That's a good find, same TV €1250-1500 in other shops. I should have said I sort of already bought the Samsung above (but can still cancel) for less than €800 delivered.
    Think the Samsung spec is better than the Panasonic (and curved) so I guess I'll stick with my order.

Advertisement