Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA/rugby clubs charging for use of function room

Options
  • 26-03-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

My girlfriends best friend was pricing a function room for her 21st which is on in May. Her preferred place, the GAA cub, were looking for €300 whilst the rugby club said she could have it free! That €300 didn't include food or dj or the security they said they'd have to hire. My point is do you think it's reasonable to be charging for an otherwise empty room when they're already guaranteed X amount in bar sales?? Obviously she opted for the free option but the local would have been way handier!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's reasonable to charge for anything once someone is willing to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

€300 is a lot but the club needs to fundraise somehow. Around €50 for the room and extra for bar staff would be normal though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

but are ya from de parish? who's yer father? how many hang sangwiches will be available? all these things matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Cutting edge drama in AH tonight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

.... My point is do you think it's reasonable to be charging for an otherwise empty room when they're already guaranteed X amount in bar sales??...

Of course it is! They would be wasting an important revenue-generating resource if they did not.

How do you know it would otherwise be empty?

And, do you think it is reasonable to expect to be able to use a function room for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

krudler wrote: »
    but are ya from de parish? who's yer father? how many hang sangwiches will be available? all these things matter
    We're from the parish alright! Her dads the local painter/decorator/jackofalltrades. But the manager of the place isn't local so probably doesn't give a damn! Plenty of hang sangwiches gonna be needed though (",)

Cutting edge drama in AH tonight :rolleyes:
    Knew there'd be at least one :))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I used to do lounge boy in a GAA club for functions. It's 30-40 per lounge staff, usually 3 so there's 120 of the 300 already. Then there's the glasses, the amount of drunk idiots that destroy them. And of course there's the organising of the room, you have to try and work around the use of the schedule of the hall's use for this.

It all adds up, but in the end it is all for profit, like any other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Well they're definitely going to make a load of cash when the OP and all the birthday gang are in the rugby club

Ridiculous if you ask me, should I course be free I charge, a 21st is expensive enough and there is enough competition out there as is evident...the GAA club just lost itself quite the few quid in bar sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Pubs are the same. Some pubs charge, some are free. I was ringing around for a place a while back, some pubs were charging €300, then wanted another €100 for a dj.
    Strangely enough, the dublin city centre ones seemed to be free, the local bars further out that you'd imagine would want the extra trade seemed to be the ones that charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

My girlfriends best friend was pricing a function room for her 21st which is on in May. Her preferred place, the GAA cub, were looking for €300 whilst the rugby club said she could have it free! That €300 didn't include food or dj or the security they said they'd have to hire. My point is do you think it's reasonable to be charging for an otherwise empty room when they're already guaranteed X amount in bar sales?? Obviously she opted for the free option but the local would have been way handier!

Does he play any foreign games? They don't like those type, it was hard enough to get Croke Park for them, handing over the local GAA Clubs to a pro-english sport lover and his mates to party comes at a price.

Does he play any foreign games? They don't like those type, it was hard enough to get Croke Park for them, handing over the local GAA Clubs to a pro-english sport lover and his mates to party comes at a price.
    Or she.. :) no she doesn't play any sports! Its not as if we wanted the function room to play a 5 a side it was for a 21st...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

GAA halls are a subsidiary of the Fianna Fail party, they need all the finance they can get. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Paying players and refs mileage ain't free you know, needs to be covered somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What sort of facilities have the local soccer team?
    Maybe they have a rusty old shipping container you could use?

Advertisement