Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Work

Options
  • 26-01-2012 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Long time boardsie, first time poster on the Web Design forum. Apologies if this has been asked in the wrong place, but here goes...

I'm in college and I do a bit of web design. I am interested in doing some web design work on the side, I've had one or two people ask me to build a site for them or their small business.

I am not here to ask for work, but rather about working. Like I would love to do some web design work, for local people or small businesses, however how do I go about this?

Again, I'm not asking how to actually obtain the work, but rather is there things that I have to consider beforehand?

Like getting paid. In a sense the jobs are like "nixers", but do I have to pay tax on what I earn?

It's hardly just as simple as building a site for someone and getting cash in hand and that's it. So anythings I should know?

Like I know people that have done some web design jobs and got paid a few quid for it and that's that. But I'd love to go into this area when I graduate from college so I will need to know for the long term anyway.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Hi Guys,

Again, I'm not asking how to actually obtain the work, but rather is there things that I have to consider beforehand?

Like getting paid. In a sense the jobs are like "nixers", but do I have to pay tax on what I earn?

It's hardly just as simple as building a site for someone and getting cash in hand and that's it. So anythings I should know?

As a web designer myself, and registered with the CRO and Revenue.. I pay my taxes on what I earn from web design.....

so should you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Some helpful info here:
    http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33702

I'd suggest paying taxes. It's not too much, plus you get a nice warm fuzzy feeling, and you can learn really useful skills about invoices/accounting/business that'll stand to you later in your career.

If you register as a Sole Trader, it's easy to declare your freelance income and just file a return on ros.ie. The Revenue are very helpful when you want to pay tax :)

Advertisement