Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free DVD to avi converters

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi folks,

I've a brother who's heading off to Australia and he wants to put all his DVD collection onto an external hard drive and bring them with him.

What DVD to avi converters would this board recommend?

Preferably freeware.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marcusb

:o

Ahem, I just looked in the essential free software sticky and found a DVD to avi converter.

Thanks boards.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Problem here is that DVDs carry various copy protection mechanisims and you'll end up with multiple softwares trying to copy some discs.

This market is changing though, keep an eye on likes of Warner who have released DVDs with mobile versions included on the disc. Until they all get this sorted we as consumers have to obey the letter of the law and not decrypt copy protected works.

{sigh}

There are a few ways. Enjoy the fun, PM me for tips and clues.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marcusb

Odd.

I downloaded and installed AutoGK and tried to run it for the DVD "Arrested Development".

It's telling me that "no video streams were found".

Could this be the copy protection that you were alluding to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

AutoGK is great. But you need something between your software and the copy protection on the disc.

I can't post information on this to a public thread, I'd be banned. ;)

Cheerio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use Handbrake myself. Assuming you're on Windows you will need to read the first FAQ under the Support heading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement