Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dell PC

Options
  • 03-02-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all,

My neighbour has an old Dell desktop PC which isn't working properly. Basically, when she presses the power button, there is power reaching it, but the PC speaker beeps 3 times, constantly. Also the computer is feeding nothing into the monitor.

I have checked all the connections. Everything is where it should be.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? Any ideas how I can resolve it without having to pay a technician?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

These beeps are coming from the PC's BIOS, normally when there is a hardware issue. Was any new hardware added to it?

Check out this link
    http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/codemess.htm
    and look under the section "System Beep Codes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Those beeps are indicators of the problem. 3 usually means RAM issues, but it could depend on the model. Exactly what model of Dell does she have, and what is the pattern on the beeps (e.g. 3 short, short and long) etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'll have to check the model, but as far as I can remember, it's 3 short beeps.

Advertisement