Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do failing the Leaving Cert.

Options
  • 12-08-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have received my results and would say I failed English, Chemistry and Maths. All in higher level. I have expected much from the looks of the principal. Can anyone tell where I should strive and what direction to take on with my life? I have not yet discussed this with my parents and they are still deciding me in what to do as they know my results.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aaronlp5

I have received my results and would say I failed English, Chemistry and Maths. All in higher level. I have expected much from the looks of the principal. Can anyone tell where I should strive and what direction to take on with my life? I have not yet discussed this with my parents and they are still deciding me in what to do as they know my results.
    What do you want to do? If you really want to do something you could repeat, I think I might.
    Does anyone know how many points one can go up in a year? I'd need to go up from 450 to 550...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Aaronlp5 wrote: »
    What do you want to do? If you really want to do something you could repeat, I think I might.
    Does anyone know how many points one can go up in a year? I'd need to go up from 450 to 550...

In the space of four months from the mocks to the real thing,I went from 80 points in my mocks to 255 in the leaving cert,So yes with focused study you could go up 100 points.

Op If you tell people what you want to do then they can make suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

Apologise to your parents and get a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

How many points did you achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

omri wrote: »
    Apologise to your parents and get a job :)

And end up in a low paying dead end? Not certain but most likely.

I'd say repeat, or apply for a PLC OP. Failing that, do a FETAC course, or take a year out and see what courses are available to you with the points you have gotten.

Repeating is probably the best option, you can drop English for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 WheelyFeely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go and speak to people in your local ETB (VEC). They will discuss things like possibly repeating, FETAC courses, FETAC entry paths etc..

It's funny, sometimes people who turned their nose up at the VECs for secondary education find they are far more on the ball if things go a bit wrong.

Are there any relevant places/sites where I can repeat some specific subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends where you are in the country. There are specific full time day repeat LC courses. There are also part-time night classes in particular LC subjects.

Well I live in Cork and am not sure where to find a suitable place for me to repeat besides Bruce College.

• Advertisement

Talk to Cork College of Commerce. They are a large ETB school.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

check the following, it may present you with an answer.
    http://www.careersportal.ie/
    Click on CAO 2015 points checker and you'll see courses that you might be interested in?

Good luck

I've got an offer a course BUT am not clearly sure whether to apply now because I found another which I am interested in which I have not added it yet in one of my course choices.

I've got an offer a course BUT am not clearly sure whether to apply now because I found another which I am interested in which I have not added it yet in one of my course choices.

Can you clarify the following:

Is the course you are now interested in a CAO course, or a PLC course?
    Is the course you were offered a PLC course or a CAO course?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't accept that offer because I was not interested in it and also I believed I can get a different course from doing the pass maths from that college. I got another offer today but it is not even my interest as I hoped for Computer Science to be my first choice which required a pass maths and 5OD3s.

This was offered through CAO.

Edit: End of my rant. I got the course I wanted. Thanks for the help everyone. I will soon lurk through websites to find a job ^^

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Edit: End of my rant. I got the course I wanted. Thanks for the help everyone. I will soon lurk through websites to find a job ^^
    Closing ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement