Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clearcoat Peeling

Options
  • 07-03-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Not sure is this quite the right place was half thinking might be better in car detailing.

I've a section of clearcoat that has started peeling on my car and am looking to remedy the problem, I don't necessarily need to get a perfect fix really just to stop it progressing anymore.

The origin of the peeling is from one time the car was in a garage and the mechanic must have had something hard in pocket or something anyway a bit of the clearcoat de-laminated itself from the paint now it wasn't broken in anyway so it was like a blister and was that way for about a year or maybe two, no changing at all, then the 'blister' broke and it has started to slowly peel back from the edges and is getting bigger and bigger. currently is a bit smaller than my hand.

So I am looking to stop this from progressing and do as good a job as I can on it. Now I know with paintwork the general consensus is to take to a professional but as I say I'm not looking for a perfect fix the car is worth less than a grand and I to replace the other wing cause some idiot crashed into it and drove off so I'm looking to spend much money.

The approach I was planning on taking was to take off all loose clearcoat and to sand the edges, from edge in so as not to peel anymore, then maybe a bit of t-cut and some other polish, what does boards think, would this be sufficient to stop it from progressing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Once it has started it will grow unfortunately. Yeah, you can try peeling away flakes, sanding and clearcoating it, I've describe process in this thread.
    It will still look **** though, I know this from having done it myself to an old car of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Thanks for that, I'm kinda holding out hope as its not peeling because the clearcoat has degraded or that, it because of a specific bit of damage so if I remedy that it might be ok.

I'm not expecting anything amazing or that but I'll have a go some day there is nice bit of weather guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What you could try as well but probably will make it worse is getting a big sticker of clear plastic and stick that on top. It will look **** but should hold the coat.
    Take some clingfilm and put over it first, that's how it will look with a sticker.

Of course my suggestions are just for keeping it from getting worse and if you can live with sorry-looking paint.

Advertisement