Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coil Spring

Options
  • 01-03-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

A piece of my Front passenger side Coil spring broke off today,at first glance it seems to be a semi-circle size piece,but not sure if its from the top or bottom,but it definitely an end bit,if you follow me,

My car is a Renault Megane Estate 2004,want to try replace this myself if possible,has anybody done similar lately,any pointers apart from the obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a spring compressor?

Found this on google
    http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17818

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

biko wrote: »
    Do you have a spring compressor?

Found this on google
    http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17818

That's the one I found m8, was going to follow post 12,i should be able to borrow some spring compressors so was just wondering if any body here had any hands on does and donts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

wiz569 wrote: »
    That's the one I found m8, was going to follow post 12,i should be able to borrow some spring compressors so was just wondering if any body here had any hands on does and donts :)

All I will say to you is be very careful with those spring clamps. They slide very easy and if they do you will know all about it. Simple job for anyone that's done a few but first time just take your time and don't have your hands in the way of anything because if they slip well you will know.
    Personally I'm terrified of doing springs only because one nearly took my head off hit the roof of the garage and came back down on top of the cls I was changing them on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

burke027 wrote: »
    All I will say to you is be very careful with those spring clamps. They slide very easy and if the do u will no all about it. Simple job for anyone that's done Afew but first time just take your time and don't have your hands in the way of anything because if they slip well u will know.
    Personally I'm terrified of doing springs only because one nearly took my head off hit the roof of the garage and came back down on top of the cls I was changing them on

Somebody recommended that I take the strut and the new coil and ask one of the tyre fit places to swap them for me,but not sure if they would be open to that?

And to make matters worse I tore the side of the car trying to get around a car that was parked in front of my drive,mind you it was do able,I just had a senior moment,first ever accident as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

wiz569 wrote: »
    Somebody recommended that I take the strut and the new coil and ask one of the tyre fit places to swap them for me..(

That's what I would recommend too.

To do the job yourself you need to borrow or buy spring compressors and that might not be economical for the amount of use you get from it. Then the job can be dangerous with the type of compressors you buy for €20, if they slip the spring could literally take your head off.

I had to replace a broken spring on an Almera recently. I bought a new spring for a little over €40, took off the strut and took the lot to a local indie. He had a professional machine worked by compressed air and he had the spring changed in a few minutes. He charged me €20 for the job, well worth it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement