Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beware of energy companies "home services team"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 OFTEC REG TECH

JohnnieK wrote: »
    I got a call today, a man in my area got them in as he got a voucher when he switched supplier for a boiler service. They came and half way trough he said he must terminate the service as there is a gas leak on the main probably at the fire, he must now hire an RGI to locate and fix leak before the sevice can finish. I asked the man why didn't the person servicing the boiler fix the leak? He said " I asked him that and he said that he doesn't do that kind of work :confused:" He then told me that he has shut the gas down. I asked him did he say how much the test had dropped to which the man replied 2mbar:eek:. The engineer should go back to is813 and look up the section on soundness testing where is states "a pressure drop of 2.5mbar is acceptable on an existing installation".

Unfortunately I could not help the man due to work load and gave him some real gas fitter's numbers.

That's my tupins.

2.5 only acceptable with all appliance isolation valves open not on testing the main line with appliance valves closed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Find it hard to leave any GAS LEAK behind me, and the 2.5mbar is only deemed acceptable as long as there in no smell of gas.

Leaks normally get worse, not better!

And you must issue a notice of hazard, type A, whats the heading?
    Gas left on, PENDING A RECTIFICATION!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

i got call the other day from a chap who was looking for a third opinion!He replied to phone call from u know who bout getting a boiler service for their "special offer".anyway long story,short,they came serviced boiler,boiler started acting up from next day on i.e stopping,starting etc. so he rang them again but when chap arrived as the boiler was working at time he didnt even look at it just said it was perfect.next day it wouldnt start again so they sent another bloke out who said boiler was knackered and they would replace it for 2k.I was asked to have a look as customer didnt know what to think.When i saw the state of the boiler i was disgusted that someone had issued a certificate of conformance for this boiler after servicing it.on removing the cover the casing around the combustion chamber was corroded to such an extent that it had holes through it,it had been leaking for god knows how long and every component in it was rusted to bits,there was too much more to mention but still a cert was issued!!!!!! go figure1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

2.5 only acceptable with all appliance isolation valves open not on testing the main line with appliance valves closed

Totally aware of that.
    My point is these companys are quick to come in and service the appliance (apparently) and are not prepared to rectify ant other issues with the system. Quick money. The rest of use have to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

maybe someone could confirm this but I heard today that the lads doing the service get €100 bonus if they condem a boiler and the customer agrees to buy a new one on thier bill ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was with a client a while back, they had their boiler serviced by a BG agent. The client inform them that they could smell gas from time to time. The guy didn't check it out.

It only came up in converstation after I smelt gas in kitchen. Stuck on a test and sure as anything, there was a leak, behind the cooker. A simple tightening of a nut did it.

Informed my client to report service guy, for all the good it would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

anuprising wrote: »
    maybe someone could confirm this but I heard today that the lads doing the service get €100 bonus if they condem a boiler and the customer agrees to buy a new one on thier bill ,

To be honest I have not heard that before. I wouldn't put it past BG (Sierra) though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Consider it confirmed! Was shocked myself when I checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

hi all, APHCI has been working very hard behind the scenes,
    we had a press conference in buswells hotel 2 weeks ago. newstalk, daily mail, rte all covered the story. we were on ireland am on tv3 last week.
    have spoke with joe duffy about doing a piece on his show. we sent a letter to brussels to the european commissioner on competition. spoke with the competition auth here. there's a meeting in the red cow on thursday at 7pm. we had 90-110 enquires into membership with the recently media attention. :)

If you are not a member you can attend the red cow hotel this thursday at 7pm and join at the door. or join on our website aphci.ie. we need to work together to take our industry back, we are stronger as a unit. dont leave it to someone else....JOIN NOW!! we are also on twitter search for @aphci

Advertisement