Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler has packed it in

Options
  • 21-03-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I would love if anybody could offer me some advice on replacing a boiler.

It's pretty knackered and I think it needs replacing. It was installed in 2000 and I don't hink it's ever had a service!

We have LPG, but are hoping to get natural gas soon. Can you get a boiler that does both?

We have an underfloor heating system (and the sq foot is 2,500 bungalow) ... do I need a special boiler for that??

Any advise on good brands vs not so reliable?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I would love if anybody could offer me some advice on replacing a boiler.

It's pretty knackered and I think it needs replacing. It was installed in 2000 and I don't hink it's ever had a service!

We have LPG, but are hoping to get natural gas soon. Can you get a boiler that does both?

We have an underfloor heating system (and the sq foot is 2,500 bungalow) ... do I need a special boiler for that??

Any advise on good brands vs not so reliable?

Many thanks

Can't help but suggest that first port of call should be to get it serviced? It's probably costing you extra money and it isn't the safest to let years go by without having it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

A new condensing boiler would be perfect for your underfloor heating. Underfloor is low temperature and condensing boilers are more efficient when run at low temperature.

The Viessmann Vitodens 200W would be a fantastic boiler to get if you had the budget and you dont need a conversion kit for nat gas or LPG. It also has a 4 pipe conection system so one circuit can be for your underfloor and an indipendent circuit for your hot water so it can be run at different temperatures.

If you dont have the budget then there is the Vitodens 100W has most of the above but a conversion kit would be needed. It's easy for the installer to convert most new boilers, any of the ones I've installed anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ChoosySuzie

Thanks for the responses.

Johnnie K, what kind of price are they (ballpark) for supply and install? What is the efficiency rating of them?

many thanks!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Whats wrong with, and what make/model is the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ChoosySuzie

Hi DGOBS,
    It's a Buderus Logamax Plus GB112
    It wont fire at all anymore
    For a while it was making a really loud sound and I think the fan needs to be replaced???
    Additionally it has never worked with the timer (since we bought the house) it goes off when the timer goes off, but never comes back on again unless you manually refire it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement