Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some channels missing - Sky cant sort it...!

Options
  • 12-09-2014 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Im posting this for a friend who doesnt do forums! She has Sky and Sky multiroom. Recently a lot of the channels on her multiroom box have disappeared. The screen comes up blue. The main one is Living. She has it on the main box.

Eventually she rang Sky, the guy got her to do all the usual turn off/on, take out card etc check cables, and I think even a reset. Nothing happened.

She rang again the next day and got a girl who was just about to get her to do the same, when a supervisor interrupted her and got on the phone and gave an explanation something on the lines of this:

Sky is changing the setup of the channels. Living is moved to Entertainment section, and it will be between such a channel and such a channel (!).

She said they have to update the boxes and do 200 at a time, and suggested that the one my friend has the problem with is probably "the one that gets less use"! And eventually it will be done.

But my friend hasnt any problem with the other box and the channels are still in their original place. Sounds like a load of baloney to me, as Judge Judy would say!

Has anyone an explanation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

You can do a forced software update this might fix the problem ,what you do is unplug the power lead then keep your finger on the backup button power box on again still holding the backup button wait till you see the screen change you,ll see software update on the screen let go of the backup button go make yourself a cup of tea and wait till screen disappear,s restart your box hopefully this will fix the problem ,and try take the box your having trouble with and connect it up in the room were the other box has been working fine for you as it might be a cable problem your having it,s worth a try ,regards bored_stupid

Its not one of the old Thomson HD boxes is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

I'll have to ask her. bored_stupid I think thats exactly what the guy got her to do the first day. What Im puzzled about is the reply from the girl the second day. Seems strange!

h

Good morning hawthorn i would ring sky again and tell them that she,s paying good money for a service she,s not getting don,t believe what sky are saying tell her to tell them she,s is will to cancel if this problem is not sorted asap this problem should have been fix by now the tuner could be at fault i had this same problem last year and sky had to replace the box in the end regards bored_stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just a thought, swap boxes (put the one that works OK in the room/connection which seems faulty) if all channels work OK then that means cable/lnb is fine.
    If same problem then its a cable or lnb fault, but if no problem then its a new box you need.
    If its a new box, might be worth getting a 2nd hand one, sky won't be too pushed in replacing it without major cost.......unless you threaten to cancel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭No Username Yet

I called them on this and only to be forced into a new box upgrade
    but the new box doesn't have the extension for viewing the same station in another room

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

but the new box doesn't have the extension for viewing the same station in another room

Yeah, sky generally don't want to help you pirate their service.

GarIT wrote: »
    Yeah, sky generally don't want to help you pirate their service.

Its not pirating to watch the same thing on to screens

OH and it used to be a big marketing selling point with sKy themselves

Its not pirating to watch the same thing on to screens

It is, it's in the T&Cs, maybe they did it before but you can't connect one box to two TVs, you're expected to pay for multi-room.

• Advertisement

It is, it's in the T&Cs, maybe they did it before but you can't connect one box to two TVs, you're expected to pay for multi-room.

My rooms connect, kitchen & sitting room, L shaped should i be expected to have two boxes
    even though both tv's (one small portable) would almost never be on simultaneously?

Anyway if you were to connect a freeview tv directly to the sky dish don't think its pirating

My rooms connect, kitchen & sitting room, L shaped should i be expected to have two boxes
    even though both tv's (one small portable) would almost never be on simultaneously?

Officially yes. Having one box connected to any two TVs at any time even if they are not turned on at the same time or even at all is piracy/stealing.

Anyway if you were to connect a freeview tv directly to the sky dish don't think its pirating

No, but that's freeview, sky's paid subscription is a different story. The dish doesn't matter at all. You can do anything you like as long as a sky box with a valid viewing card isn't connected to more than one TV at once.

No, but that's freeview, sky's paid subscription is a different story. The dish doesn't matter at all. You can do anything you like as long as a sky box with a valid viewing card isn't connected to more than one TV at once.

Yea your right there, I'm keeping my old pace box untl it dies, and bought a spare of advers for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

My mother had the exact same problem as the Op for years. So I did the forced software update and it helped from time to time.

Anyway my mother had then told me that every night she unplugs the box before she goes to bed and then plugs it back in when she needs it the next day. Seemingly the problem has disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I called them on this and only to be forced into a new box upgrade

The new receivers don't have an RF2 output but an IO Link can be added to restore this function for about €25 - http://www.tvlink.co.uk/iolink.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... it's in the T&Cs, maybe they did it before but you can't connect one box to two TVs, you're expected to pay for multi-room.
    ... Having one box connected to any two TVs at any time even if they are not turned on at the same time or even at all is piracy/stealing.
    No, but that's freeview, sky's paid subscription is a different story ... You can do anything you like as long as a sky box with a valid viewing card isn't connected to more than one TV at once.

All nonsense. Until recently, the majority of Sky boxes had a built-in UHF modulator, the output of which could be distributed to as many TVs as you want, with the 'magic eye' setup allowing remote control from other rooms. This is still possible, using the IO link or other kits that take an AV input from scart etc.

And Freeview (capital F) is nothing to do with satellite TV: it's the UK terrestrial TV system.

I Use a magic eye myself there very handy indeed and old type ones can be had from tvtrade.ie / freesat.ie for 10 euro and freesat.ie have the new io link for the new type sky boxes for 25euro i just rang him to check fairview dublin 3 regards bored_stupid

Advertisement