Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing Channels - no Satellite Signal is being received

• 31-08-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm having an issue receiving some channels on 2 different boxes. I have 2 Sky+ box - 1 with no sub as a free to air and an Irish sub on another box. They are running on a quad LNB.

On the Irish box I cannot get RTE1, TV3E, Watch, Dave, Gold and others. I do have RTE2 fine.

On the free box I have all BBCs, ITVs - but am missing Tiny Pop for example. It comes and goes sporadically. I had suspected the LNB, but changed it for a spare quad I had, with no change in reception. Signal on both boxes is around 75% with quality around 50%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Loos

TMC99 wrote: »
    On the Irish box I cannot get RTE1, TV3E, Watch, Dave, Gold and others. I do have RTE2 fine.

Apart from 3e, all the Irish channels are on the same transponder, so if you get one, you should get them all.
    TMC99 wrote: »
    Signal on both boxes is around 75% with quality around 50%.

I would think the quality should be better than that. Usual suspects: misaligned dish, dodgy cables or connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Loos wrote: »
    Apart from 3e, all the Irish channels are on the same transponder, so if you get one, you should get them all.

I would think the quality should be better than that. Usual suspects: misaligned dish, dodgy cables or connections.

I seem to get same issue with Sony TV and its +1 version. Other channels fine and Sony TV breaking up and showing no signal received message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Vintage TV (music) was always missing, pausing, freezing on me.

Installed new cable and put up a new dish I got with HD box 2 years ago. Good improvement considering I used a €10 dish alignment meter.

Happy with all my work. Got cable and meter from tvtrade (no affiliation to company).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

My Dad is having a similar problem, he has lost the following channels, 105 3e, 113 Universal, 114 SyFy, 144 Dmax, 146 CBS Reality, 147 CBS Reality +1, 150 Universal +1, and some others.
    I have checked cables and connections at both ends, they appear to be fine. Dish has not moved.
    Checking signal strength I found no signal on input 2, swapped cables around and got no signal on input 1.
    Performed forced software download and got signal on both inputs, however as soon as any of the above channels are selected, signal disappears from 1 input?
    Its a quad LNB with only two outputs in use, so tried swapping outputs around to no avail. I suspect the LNB may be faulty.
    I hope so, I cant see Sky replacing his box for him

Does anyone know whats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Lofty123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats going on?

Have a look at http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php and see if there's any pattern to the missing channels such as same satellite, same frequency, same polarisation etc.

A very small movement of the dish could lose the signal from the weaker Eutelsat satellite, those channels you list appear to be on that particular satellite. It could also be an LNB problem.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Have a look at http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php and see if there's any pattern to the missing channels such as same satellite, same frequency, same polarisation etc.

A very small movement of the dish could lose the signal from the weaker Eutelsat satellite, those channels you list appear to be on that particular satellite. It could also be an LNB problem.

Thanks for that :)
    I thought that all the channels on Sky came from the Astra satellites, I didn't realise they also used Eutelsat :confused:

Does this mean that when I managed to restore signal on both inputs that both signals were from Astra, and I lost signal when trying to access signals on Eutelsat?

I have a basic signal strength meter, will it be sensitive enough to allow me to realign the dish, if it needs it, given that you say only a small amount of movement could have caused the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Does this mean that when I managed to restore signal on both inputs that both signals were from Astra, and I lost signal when trying to access signals on Eutelsat?

If you cross check the channels with the King of Sat link then you should see a pattern.
    I have a basic signal strength meter, will it be sensitive enough to allow me to realign the dish, if it needs it, given that you say only a small amount of movement could have caused the problem?

I don't know how well your meter will work. The adjustment is probably so little you may not even require a meter. If you had someone watching the box's own signal meter and simply flexing the dish east/west, up/down it would indicate the direction the small adjustment is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

My Dad is having a similar problem, he has lost the following channels, 105 3e, 113 Universal, 114 SyFy, 144 Dmax, 146 CBS Reality, 147 CBS Reality +1, 150 Universal +1, and some others.
    I have checked cables and connections at both ends, they appear to be fine. Dish has not moved.

I presume RTE, TV3, TG4 are still there?

Thurston? wrote: »
    I presume RTE, TV3, TG4 are still there?

Yes they are and he still has the majority of his channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Have you checked the skew of the lnb is in the rite position such be on no2 if its marked on the lnb....other than that the dish is offline slightly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement