Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Think it all came from a times piece but there's a few places today reporting that we've made a bid for Paulinho, some Brazilian CMF.

I find it very hard to get excited about this. I'm very sceptical at the moment about Brazilian exports. They're being reported far and wide as amazing and now there's a list as long as your arm of players like Oscar, Ganso, Neymar etc who are all the next massive thing.

All serioulsy overhyped if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

gosplan wrote: »
    Think it all came from a times piece but there's a few places today reporting that we've made a bid for Paulinho, some Brazilian CMF.

I find it very hard to get excited about this. I'm very sceptical at the moment about Brazilian exports. They're being reported far and wide as amazing and now there's a list as long as your arm of players like Oscar, Ganso, Neymar etc who are all the next massive thing.

There was some screengrab on Twitter from Sky Sports Italia saying (I think) that there was a bid for Paulinho for 9m.

The Daily Express is saying that Arsenal rejected a bid of 25 m for Walcott and chelsea are out of the race
    Last night, Walcott's agent said that he did not believe Chelsea would make a higher offer and that he was no longer in negociations with them,

Although they apparently can't spell negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Snakeblood wrote: »
    gosplan wrote: »

There was some screengrab on Twitter from Sky Sports Italia saying (I think) that there was a bid for Paulinho for 9m.

The Daily Express is saying that Arsenal rejected a bid of 25 m for Walcott and chelsea are out of the race
    Last night, Walcott's agent said that he did not believe Chelsea would make a higher offer and that he was no longer in negociations with them,

Although they apparently can't spell negotiations.

I don't believe that Walcott bid for a second

But if wenger does try hard to keep him I see him been moved into the number 9 role playing off giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've been a bit out of the loop. So it appears our away kit is purple this season. What's the story with that 'Dennis the Menace' red and navy stripes shirt?

First pics of RVP back training are floating around I'm sure someone will post them up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    I've been a bit out of the loop. So it appears our away kit is purple this season. What's the story with that 'Dennis the Menace' red and navy stripes shirt?

3rd kit probably. Or 4th. I'm losing count at this stage.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/44126/arsenal-back-in-training-picture-special

Team Time. You can see RVP has let the worry get to him greying savagely, he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/44126/arsenal-back-in-training-picture-special

Team Time. You can see RVP has let the worry get to him greying savagely, he is.

what the hell is that judas doing in our training session? after the crap he said about arsenal? sell him already

Weird seeing Bendtner and Arshavin there too - how quickly we forget.

• Advertisement

Goal_UK have just tweeted that RVP has been told he's staying the remaining year of his contract.

Goal is a house of lies, but I could see it happening. He's worth 20 million, the champions league place that he got them last year is worth more than that. Then as a free agent (granted a 30 year old one), if he has a good season this year he can get a huge payoff from his next club.

Edit: Plus the message it sends that Arsenal aren't a selling club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And hopefully he'll play out of his skin so all the top dogs in Europe will want him. I'd be happy with that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

greendom wrote: »
    And hopefully he'll play out of his skin so all the top dogs in Europe will want him. I'd be happy with that tbh

Same here. Keep him for the year. At least it will show that we don't bend over every time someone takes out their money clip in a transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's exactly what we should do. I said something like that as soon as the statement came out.

Make him stay. If he wants a big contract at the end of it he'll be breaking his back doing everything he can to impress. If he has a crap season or gets injured, he'll have to come crawling back when nobody wants to take him on the huge wage he is probably now expecting. We don't really have anything to lose by keeping him, but we could lose a lot of we sell.

Not one pic of Wenger looking happy.

NB52 looks fuming!!!
    zp_148655970_SM_7901_7_9A64A2_copy_9572.jpg?ic=ad8b66T

And a Gunner, through and through just spies the camera:
    zp_148655970_SM_7875_A_9A64A2_copy_1255.jpg?ic=8ceca1T

Not one pic of Wenger looking happy. And NB52 looks fuming!!!

Wenger smiling is not permitted. The man is looking at Arshavin and Bendtner train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

More than likely the club are just trying to get back some leverage lost by RVP's statement so they get a decent fee out of it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Does Robson know more than us with regards Wenger and his power at the club? Sounds like he is talking a load of rubbish there.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Does Robson know more than us with regards Wenger and his power at the club? Sounds like he is talking a load of rubbish there.

He might well do to be fair.

He might well do to be fair.

Maybe. But.

Saying this:

“There is only one person to blame [for this situation] and that’s the manager. His philosophy hasn’t been working in recent years,” Robson told talkSPORT.
    “He wanted to get in young players and build them up but it hasn’t worked because players want to leave when they’re not winning things."

It's grand to say this if you can suggest an alternative but did he offer a different solution to Arsenal's situation with his comments? We have been a club stuck for cash over the last number of years and Wenger adopting the nurture the boys into men mentality was our best option at the time and made the most sense. He has been successful that we are still in the champions league consistently and can still build the club up.

Bould coming out with sweeping statements about Wenger without offering an alternative solution himself is b.s.

• Advertisement

Arsenal legend - give me a break - he's just bitter about losing his job at Arsenal tv

Maybe. But.

Saying this:

“There is only one person to blame [for this situation] and that’s the manager. His philosophy hasn’t been working in recent years,” Robson told talkSPORT.
    “He wanted to get in young players and build them up but it hasn’t worked because players want to leave when they’re not winning things."

It's grand to say this if you can suggest an alternative but did he offer a different solution to Arsenal's situation with his comments? We have been a club stuck for cash over the last number of years and Wenger adopting the nurture the boys into men mentality was our best option at the time and made the most sense. He has been successful that we are still in the champions league consistently and can still build the club up.

Bould coming out with sweeping statements about Wenger without offering an alternative solution himself is b.s.

Exactly - he says that Arsene wanted to get young players in without going into the reasons why. The club had the huge burden of the new stadium on its back and had to find a way of funding it whilst remaining competitive.

What would you have done in those circumstances Stew ? Probably moan about it and blame someone else

It seems to me that many ex-players have become bitter and are playing the "get even" card. While I have been a critic of Wenger's at times I still acknowledge the job he did in keeping Arsenal a Top 4 team. I do however often wonder what we could have achieved with a little more investment and a bit less caution, but then I don't know what's happening behind the scenes either.

A lot of these old pros/legends played at a different Arsenal. Different stadium, different footballing philosohy and everything is so damn French now! There is some fierce anti-Frane sentiment in many parts of England. I find a lot of them are dying for Wenger to F-up and lash out at him at the first available opportunity.

Looks like Vela is off to Real Sociadad for keeps.

Looks like Vela is off to Real Sociadad for keeps.

Where's the party poppers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Arsenal and Caen have reportedly agreed a fee for M'baye Niang!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7908838/Gunners-agree-striker-deal

Apparently this Niang guy is the player 'everybody wants'. Anyone know much about him?

Apparently this Niang guy is the player 'everybody wants'. Anyone know much about him?

Only that if he's coming to us, that first bit isn't true.

• Advertisement

Feck all. Youtube has little videos of him :P Although, he's meant to be unreal. Can't see City going for him now to be honest either as they'll be able to buy an established great player with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Feck all. Youtube has little videos of him :P Although, he's meant to be unreal. Can't see City going for him now to be honest either as they'll be able to buy an established great player with no hassle.
    Or better yet, buy him off us when/if we develop him into a star player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

My FM team is looking crap for next season - he's a 30 goals a season scoring god in FM2012 and only costs £3 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Keep RVP imo.

If he sulks stick him in the reserves for the season and bounce him down to shirt number 50 or something. Will send out a decent message that we won't be bullied by players into being forced to sell them anymore.

We won't do so of course, but I'd like us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wouldn't say keeping him against his will is a good idea. However I do agree with arseblog in saying we should dictate where he goes; in other words not City. Something similar to Vieira would please me; RVP rocks up for training Monday morning to be told by Wenger he's off to Juve and go agree personal terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

cson wrote: »
    I wouldn't say keeping him against his will is a good idea. However I do agree with arseblog in saying we should dictate where he goes; in other words not City. Something similar to Vieira would please me; RVP rocks up for training Monday morning to be told by Wenger he's off to Juve and go agree personal terms.

Why isn't it? If he sulks he won't be getting a big contract next summer. He knows it will be his last big payday so won't want to risk that by sulking. He'll be giving it everything he has to drive his value up even more. Sulking would drive it down. We have almost nothing to lose by keeping him, but a lot to gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why isn't it? If he sulks he won't be getting a big contract next summer. He knows it will be his last big payday so won't want to risk that by sulking. He'll be giving it everything he has to drive his value up even more. Sulking would drive it down. We have almost nothing to lose by keeping him, but a lot to gain.

But do you really want to see him play week in week out an Arsenal jersey after the statement he issued? Arsenal as far as strikers go weve always managed to find great replacements everytime one has moved on, and I for one dont want to see a player openly admit hes leaving in 12 months and has no real desire to be here, even if he does have another great season you know hes only playing to earn himself a better deal somewhere else and not for the manager, team mates or fans.

If he wont sign a new contract sell him now, or if we are to keep him make an example of him and drop him to 3rd of 4th choice striker see how much of a payrise he gets after spending a year on the bench and the hype has died down, keeping him first choice would be crazy in my eyes it shows we have no faith in our own players and makes us look like a Wolves desperately clinging to our star man instead of going okay your off we dont need you this is Arsenal F.C .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sounds promising, I reckon Niang will sign for us because we can guarantee first team football. Depending on his development, he'll then force his way out of the club after his first or second contract citing a lack of ambition on the club's behalf!

"News" starting to filter through on twitter that Arsenal have made a €7 million bid for Dempsey. If Arsene wants the player and as the competition for him comes from Liverpool we should get him as he wants CL football. i think this is a good move for Arsenal, if true, as our experiment (created by panic) of going with an experienced PL player worked really well last season

• Advertisement

I think he is seen as an exceptional developing talent that was slowed last year through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Floating around twitter that our bid for Niang has been rejected as it wasn't enough. Now thats a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Frisbee wrote: »
    Keep RVP imo.

If he sulks stick him in the reserves for the season and bounce him down to shirt number 50 or something. Will send out a decent message that we won't be bullied by players into being forced to sell them anymore.

We won't do so of course, but I'd like us too.

agreed

dvemail wrote: »
    Floating around twitter that our bid for Niang has been rejected as it wasn't enough. Now thats a shocker.

Yeah 10p only gets you so far.

We should just sell him as soon as possible on concentrate on next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Only £25.50 for adults and £10 for concessions for Sunderland fans wishing to go to the opening game of the season. Cracking price that like, fair play. London trips are usually touching on £50 a ticket.

• Advertisement

Clint Dempsey on his way to Liverpool it looks like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18886354

Clint Dempsey on his way to Liverpool it looks like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18886354

That link doesn't really show in any way that he's going to Liverpool.

That link doesn't really show in any way that he's going to Liverpool.

Their official website puts up a draft report on how they are happy Dempsey has signed for them and it doesn't show in any way that he's going to Liverpool?

If he ends up somewhere else it's an almighty cock up by their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Their official website puts up a draft report on how they are happy Dempsey has signed for them and it doesn't show in any way that he's going to Liverpool?

If he ends up somewhere else it's an almighty cock up by their website.

Report was then taken down as site is run by outside agency. Fulham and Dempsey's agent have both said that there has been no bids for the player

greendom wrote: »
    I think he is seen as an exceptional developing talent that was slowed last year through injury.

Injury prone eh? Should fit right in.

What I'd like to know is how come we're the ones with Champions League football but have to watch our star players exodusing en masse while the same can't be said for Tottenham and Liverpool?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement