Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liga BBVA Matchday 6

• 04-10-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭

Saturday, October 4, 2008
    19:00 UK Villarreal v Real Betis
    21:00 UK Barcelona v Atlético Madrid

Sunday, October 5, 2008
    16:00 UK Osasuna v Racing Santander
    16:00 UK Mallorca v Sporting Gijon
    16:00 UK Getafe v Almeria
    16:00 UK Recreativo Huelva v Málaga
    16:00 UK Sevilla FC v Athletic Bilbao
    16:00 UK Deportivo La Coruña v Numancia
    18:00 UK Valladolid v Valencia
    20:00 UK Real Madrid v Espanyol

Match of the weekend in world soccer has to be Atleti vs Barca. Aguero and Messi can't stop scoring at the moment so lets see who comes out on top. Last year it was almost the same time and scenario when Barca and Messi strolled a 3-0 win against them.

Maybe if I changed the thread title to GAE there'd be more hits.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Cant wait to watch Barcelona-Atletico,its gonna be great match,i feel Atletico can make a surprise tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Presumably Atletico Vs. Barca is on Sky? What a match that could be!

Im up in Newry tonight so i'll have to tape it but I agree it's THE match of the weekend in Europe. hoping barca can keep up their recent winnign streak. Also hoping that they don;t have to come from behind again!!

besty wrote: »
    Presumably Atletico Vs. Barca is on Sky? What a match that could be!

9 p.m

Sky Sports 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Cant wait to watch Barcelona-Atletico,its gonna be great match,i feel Atletico can make a surprise tonight

If you've watched both Atletico and Barca this year you'd clearly see that Atleti winning would be nowhere near a surprise. Arguably the form team in Europe, they are probably favourites for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

barcelona are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I like to follow Atleti since a visit to the Vicente Calderon , I think they can win this especilly with Kun in such great form! Such a frustrating club though they'll probably get hammered

barcelona are at home.

Yes, and they've been universally awful at/ away from home this season, the last 2 wins have been ridiculously lucky. If Atletico play well they'll can win 3-0. Aguero is phenomenal. Although Messi has scored 6 in 7 so I guess I can't complain too much.
    gustavo wrote: »
    I like to follow Atleti since a visit to the Vicente Calderon , I think they can win this especilly with Kun in such great form! Such a frustrating club though they'll probably get hammered

It's hilarious, they are definitely the best club in world football at putting a good run together, looking like contenders, and then exploding in spectacular fashion... Is the Vicente nice?It seems awesome on tv, but I try to avoid all of Madrid... :pac:

EDIT: Good article actually if anyone has noticed the patterns in La Liga fixtures this year;
    They say that if you get 1000 monkeys to bash away at 1000 typewriters, they’d eventually come up with the Complete Works of Shakespeare.

Now, obviously “they” say a lot of things – and most of it’s complete balls. But La Liga Loca’s prepared to believe them on this one.

After all, if you got a single monkey bashing away at a single typewriter - a single, short-sighted, dyslexic monkey with writer’s cramp, a caffeine dependency and a 60-a-day habit bashing away at a broken typewriter where the “e” doesn’t work and the “s” keeps on bloody ssssticking – you’d certainly get the La Liga fixtures.

Yes, boys and girls, they’ve done it again. The league that crams in Madrid-Barça late on a Thursday night; that can’t tell you when the games are going to be played until a week before and often can’t even tell you then; that spread the final day of the 2005/06 season over three different days, has done it again.

Five games in and Sporting Gijón haven’t won a single game. In fact, they’ve not won a single point. And they’ve conceded a whopping 20 goals. Which might be because they’re rubbish.

Or it might be because after waiting 10 long years to get back into the first division the poor sods have already had to play Sevilla, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Villarreal. Not so much an uphill start as trying to crank a Citroen 2CV into gear on the north face of the Eiger.

With an elephant in the boot. No wonder they’re sitting at the bottom cursing their luck.

They’re not alone either. Málaga are down there too, but they really are rubbish. So are Racing Santander and Real Betis, and they aren’t.

Instead, Racing Santander have also had to play Sevilla, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Villarreal, while Betis have already faced Sevilla, Barcelona and Real Madrid – and still have Villarreal to come.

If you’re detecting a bit of a pattern, it’s because there’s a bit of a pattern to detect.

And that’s the point. You see, every single team this season has to play Sevilla, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Villarreal in a row. In that order. Twice.

Which means that the league table is as hideously skewed as Peter Beardsley’s jaw and which really doesn’t strike La Liga Loca as
    particularly fair. It certainly doesn’t strike La Liga Loca as very good.

Is it fair to sink a team before they’ve even started? Is it fair to give other teams a slow run into the season, a gentle ramp to get them flying? Or is it actually better to get the big boys before they’re up and running?

Do Real Madrid have a great big advantage by always following in Barcelona’s footsteps? Are they playing shattered teams who’ve given their all the previous week, teams that can’t raise themselves again?

Are they playing teams whose morale is sunk after a defeat and who, if they have beaten Madrid, have had their day in the sun and don’t need another, thank you very much?

Are they playing teams riddled with suspensions after they’ve flown into every tackle against Barcelona the week before?

Or is coming after Barcelona actually a disadvantage? Are Madrid going to play teams with extra motivation coming off the back of Barça?

And if it’s an advantage for Madrid, is it an even bigger advantage for Villarreal, who get teams who’ve run themselves into the ground for three weeks running?

Is it in fact a huge advantage for Mallorca, who week after week get the side that’s just come out of that four game run and are either a) knackered?, racked with suspensions after a month of vainly booting the big boys about? or c) completely lacking in intensity, suddenly ripe for the taking having relaxed after finally getting the big boys out the way?

Might that explain the fact that Mallorca – a team that are not very good – currently sit so pretty?

And it gets worse too. Because where the pattern can’t be entirely maintained – because Madrid can’t play Madrid (hell, they won’t even play against their own on-loan players so you haven’t got a hope in hell of getting them to play themselves) – it’s Valencia, those other title contenders, who’ve been slotted in.

In other words, Sevilla-Barcelona, Barcelona-Valencia, Madrid-Sevilla, Barcelona-Madrid, Sevilla-Villarreal, Madrid-Valencia, Villarreal-
    Barcelona, Valencia-Atlético, and Madrid-Villarreal all happen within a six-week period.

Two six-week periods, in fact - Weeks 13 to 18 and 32 to 37.

What happens if Madrid’s, Barcelona’s, Valencia’s, Villarreal’s or Sevilla’s key player gets injured during that period? Is it adiós, aspirations? The league is supposed to be a test of which team is the strongest over 38 weeks.

Instead, it could end up being a test of who’s strongest over two six-week spells. Is that fair?

So many questions. And La Liga Loca doesn’t honestly know the answers.

What it does know is that rather than having great games all season long, there are going to be at least 14 weeks this season when there isn’t a single game worth watching – and, yes, we were sad enough to go through them one by one.

What it does know is that the clashes mean that seeing some of the season’s big games is going to be impossible, that when you’re trying to get to Barcelona-Valencia you’ll be missing Madrid-Sevilla, and when Madrid play Barcelona you’ll be missing Sevilla-Villarreal.

What it does know is that it’s a mess. And a pain in the *rse.

Especially for uber-blogs like La Liga Loca that like a heavyweight clash to report on every week. And not sodding Getafe-Sevilla.

So, don’t blame us when we have to talk about that. Blame that monkey with the cigarette hanging out his gob and the typewriter between his legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I don't think I'll get to see this one tonight, which is a pity because I was really looking forward to it. That usually means that it'll be a guuaranteed goals fest!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

eZe^ wrote: »

It's hilarious, they are definitely the best club in world football at putting a good run together, looking like contenders, and then exploding in spectacular fashion... Is the Vicente nice?It seems awesome on tv, but I try to avoid all of Madrid... :pac:

;
    It's alright , seemed a bit dilapidated to me though , Preferred it to the sheen of the Bernebeau though :cool:

• Advertisement

If you've watched both Atletico and Barca this year you'd clearly see that Atleti winning would be nowhere near a surprise. Arguably the form team in Europe, they are probably favourites for this game.

Yes thats why i said i expect even Atletico to win,i watched few games of them this year and i am very surprised how good they are,still whoever win on Camp Nou its a surprise;)
    barcelona are at home.

Dont see this is so important in this game;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Promises to be a good game and I can see Athletico getting at least a draw.

Had a little wager on a Villareal/A. Madrid double with a no bet in the Madrid game - got 6/1 aswell!

It'll definitely be a goal fest, the last 3 outings ended;

2-4
    3-0
    6-0

Marquez 1-0 with a lovely header... Who would have thought we'd actually be good at set-pieces!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS....

Penalty!!! hahahahaha...

Etoo puts it away... 2-0 after 4 minutes...

GOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fcuking X-Factor.

Thought I wouldn't miss anything in the first ten minutes.

Two nil.:eek:

SantryRed wrote: »
    Fcuking X-Factor.

Thought I wouldn't miss anything in the first ten minutes.

Two nil.:eek:

You deserve it for watching that crock of shi*e... :pac:

3-0, Messi...

Jesus Christ, is this fixed?

3-1... Maxi with a beautiful goal.... EPL my balls... :pac:
    It'll definitely be a goal fest

I love being right.

4-1, oh my ****ing god... Blissful. Etoo.

What a goal by Rodriguez:eek:

Jesus, what a game of football. Proves this is the most entertaining league in Europe.

• Advertisement

Guess the final score?

6-4:D

5-1 Gudjohnsen after after 28 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

What a game

edit: messi... ****ing hell the talent that guy has!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

This game is good so it is.

Mark Hoppus(andreas iniesta) and me share same hairstyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mark Hoppus and Iniesta look nothing alike :confused:

ah they do...well they used to.

• Advertisement

Mark Hoppus(andreas iniesta) and me share same hairstyle.

His haircut now has to be a practical joke... Or maybe he had brain surgery and they had to shave the sides of his head. :pac:

Are you as pale as him? Iniesta is invisible to the naked eye in a white jersey, that's why Madrid want to sign him, nobody could mark him!

O....M....G....:eek:

What a madness of a game:D

When Abidal puts Aguero on his ass you know there's something wrong with the world... hahahaha

No goals since the 28th minute?

Pfft, La Liga is crap.

His haircut now has to be a practical joke... Or maybe he had brain surgery and they had to shave the sides of his head. :pac:

Are you as pale as him? Iniesta is invisible to the naked eye in a white jersey, that's why Madrid want to sign him, nobody could mark him!

Oh hell no. How is he so pale? There was a ginger in my school who was pale but damn Iniesta takes the biscuit.

His haircut aint that bad.:(

Henryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Class.

I'd love to play for Barcelona, I'd say it be class.

how random is gudjohnsen? how did iceland produce a player like him.

• Advertisement

Henryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Class.

I'd love to play for Barcelona, I'd say it be class.

how random is gudjohnsen? how did iceland produce a player like him.

Hahahaha! Where would you like to play, I'd be intimidated in midfield, even though I like controlling the tempo and passing, Xavi would scare him. I wouldn't mind being his destroyer though, or maybe a LB, I'd say I'm actually better than Abidal of late. (Bar today, he was excellent tonight).

Esteban, how much of a transfer fee do you reckon Barca would pay for you from Roma?

What a great game,Athletico so dissapointed,they need to forget this and start winning in a row if they wont CL next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What an absurd game of football!

maybe i should say,what a great goals period,it would be more precisely

• Advertisement

Hahahaha! Where would you like to play, I'd be intimidated in midfield, even though I like controlling the tempo and passing, Xavi would scare him. I wouldn't mind being his destroyer though, or maybe a LB, I'd say I'm actually better than Abidal of late. (Bar today, he was excellent tonight).

i can't even answer it upsets me knowing that its not even possible. :(

however yeah maby left back there might be chance.

did stephen carr and sol campbell reject the move to Barcelona? they were guests at the game rivaldo scored the overhead kick, but then nothing came of either move. were they crazy or something?

What is this all about?Estie is on drugs?:D

i can't even answer it upsets me knowing that its not even possible. :(

however yeah maby left back there might be chance.

did stephen carr and sol campbell reject the move to Barcelona? they were guests at the game rivaldo scored the overhead kick, but then nothing came of either move. were they crazy or something?

I would have bought a season ticket just to see the game against Valencia where Rivaldo scored that hat-trick. It's the single best solo performance I've ever seen a footballer produce in one game, especially considering the stakes. Some people say that win was the reason we eventually entered a golden era.

I think we all know Sol Campbell was a little crazy.... :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good God. Just returned home to watch the Sky+ recording of this game and I can't believe my eyes. 6 goals in the 1st half...Unbelievable! Was hoping to see Kun Aguero let loose and really announce himself á la Messi's hat trick in El Derbi a couple of years back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Missed the game due to a family matter, and just checked the Barca site expecting to see a scoreline on 1-2!!!! Good lord, what a result.

What a result and what a performance! Came in late last nigth and before I know what was goin on it was 5-1 Barca! Considering that a 6-1 final score looks disappointing but I remember United doing something very similar goin 5-1 up on Arsenal by half time and it ending up 6-1 full time!

Great performance and finally everything seems to have gelled! :)

Hats off to you Pep!

Edit: on the topic of goal of the season...had Messis dribble in the first half and little lob of the keepr which sailed inches wide, gone in that it;d have been a definite candidate!

Anyone watch the Madrid vs Espanyol game? Some excellent attacking moves from both sides, Raul was fantastic in the first half! The game ended 2-2! I'm delighted, we are above Madrid thanks to our better defense... :pac: Who'd have thought it... haha

It's a bit stupid the way Madrid play whoever Barca have plyed the week before every week:confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's a bit stupid the way Madrid play whoever Barca have plyed the week before every week:confused:

Nah, what's stupid is that once first they play Sevilla, then Barca, then Madrid and then Villareal.... And thats repeated twice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is that deliberate? Seems very odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement