Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSkyB changing our service provider!

• 11-08-2014 11:30am

Letter received today for exisiting BSKYB subscribers.

"As part of our ongoing commitments to provide outstanding service to our customers in Ireland we are reorganising our Irish operations. From 1 January 2015, your current service provider, British Sky Broadcasting Limited, will be replaced by Sky Ireland Limited, another company within our group. Your Sky services will remain unchanged and Sky Ireland Limited will continue to provide you with the same great service you are used to."

So are the changes being carried out so Sky can get away with different charges for Irish subscribers, or is this more to do with the planned merger/acquisition of Sky Italy and Sky Germany?

Will we now have?,

Sky UK
    Sky Ireland
    Sky Germany
    Sky Italy

All part of BSKYB ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,312 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So are the changes being carried out so Sky can get away with different charges for Irish subscribers
    We already have different charges compared to UK subscribers for example.

muffler wrote: »
    We already have different charges compared to UK subscribers for example.

Yea, just wondering if these changes are the way that they can draw a line under the moans of Irish subscribers for instance,

"Sorry Sir but Sky Ireland is a different company to Sky UK, so our charges and services are different."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As OSI says above is probably related to the changes in EU VAT law from Jan 2015, discussed here previously - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89618027

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Big win for the Irish taxman, about time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just an internal reorganisation and as others have said likely related to the VAT issue. British Sky Broadcasting Group plc will still be the ultimate owner and they are not going to pay Astra for a second set of transponders for a separate Irish service, so it will be still the same service (more or less) from the same satellites as the UK. AFAIK Sky Germany does the same thing with Sky Austria, there is a separate company Sky Osteriech Fernsehen Gmbh which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sky Deutschland AG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

So there'll be a small increase in price then? [VAT in England, I believe is 20%? Here's it's 23%]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BeerWolf wrote: »
    So there'll be a small increase in price then? [VAT in England, I believe is 20%? Here's it's 23%]

More than likely yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Sky have recently removed the Irish Section on their Community Forum. What other changes will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Was thinking of ditching sky anyway as I can't justify €51 per month anymore now we have a good broad band and netflix!

Unless they want to offer a vastly discounted deal to keep us (like before), then it's farewell Sky after being a subscriber 1st in the UK then in Ireland for probably 20years now!

Any price increase that benefits this current government via vat ain't gonna sit well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Migworks wrote: »
    Was thinking of ditching sky anyway as I can't justify €51 per month anymore now we have a good broad band and netflix!

Unless they want to offer a vastly discounted deal to keep us (like before), then it's farewell Sky after being a subscriber 1st in the UK then in Ireland for probably 20years now!

Any price increase that benefits this current government via vat ain't gonna sit well.
    Ring and ask to cancel and will be offered a discount to stay we were offered
    A reduction from i think it was €33 or something like that for the basic package
    to €23 as we had been with them 12 years
    I still cancelled and got an amiko alien 2 triple + for €160 It will have paid for itself in six months and no more bills
    give them a ring they are loosing customers hand over fist
    I know 5 of my relatives have gotten combo boxes in the last few months you are sure to be offered a discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,312 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Technofobe wrote: »
    and got an amiko alien 2 triple + for €160
    Where did you buy at that price?

muffler wrote: »
    Where did you buy at that price?
    tvtrade.ie
    had an online discount

Product Quantity Unit price Subtotal Amiko Alien 2+ Triple Tuner Code: AM_AL2

Options: Operating System: ENIGMA2 LOADED (+€5.00) 1 €149.50 €149.50 Subtotal: €149.50 Order discount: €14.95 Coupon: EASTER2014 Taxes: VAT 23% (IE9749137J): €30.95 Shipping cost: €0.00 Total cost: €165.50Take away the 5 for enigma loading as its easy to do sorry invoice looks completly different when pasted to the way it looks when I post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads with these satellite boxs can you record and have they the exact same channels as sky? Total neewb here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads with these satellite boxs can you record and have they the exact same channels as sky? Total neewb here

Yes , if you add a hard drive.

MrMac84 wrote: »

With the Amiko Alien 2 you add a usb external then you have similar recording features to Sky (better as you have an extra tuner)
    You can get paid Sky channels on this box if you know how but as it's illegal you cannot get help or discuss the card sharing features of it here on Boards as it's against the charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'd take a pm tho from
    Someone on places too buy these please

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no discussing card sharing. If the thread does not go back on topic it will be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Looks like one of the new changes in "Sky Ireland" is that TV boxsets will now only be available to HD subscription customers. I'm not particularly happy about that as it was a feature I used a lot. I don't feel that €15pm justifies HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

logic wrote: »
    Looks like one of the new changes in "Sky Ireland" is that TV boxsets will now only be available to HD subscription customers. I'm not particularly happy about that as it was a feature I used a lot. I don't feel that €15pm justifies HD.

Same, typical really. There's rarely a letter that comes through the door from Sky that doesn't have either a price increase or some rearranging move to make you pay more to keep what you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Same, typical really. There's rarely a letter that comes through the door from Sky that doesn't have either a price increase or some rearranging move to make you pay more to keep what you already have.

I got rid of Sky last month and I have to say I am so glad I did. I use an ariva 150 combo box with a removable hard drive and a Humax freesat recorder. I get to pause, rewind and record all stations and I get RTE1, RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, CBBC, CBEEBIES, ITV, UTV, C4 and all the regional variations in HD alongside all the C5 channels, RTE News etc all for free!!!! In fact I watch more HD tv now than I did when I was paying €45 + €15 for the sky HD package.

It really is a rip off but they will charge through the nose for it until the sky customers desert them and they realise they have overmilked the cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭DvB

corm500 wrote: »
    I got rid of Sky last month and I have to say I am so glad I did. I use an ariva 150 combo box with a removable hard drive and a Humax freesat recorder. I get to pause, rewind and record all stations and I get RTE1, RTE2, BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, CBBC, CBEEBIES, ITV, UTV, C4 and all the regional variations in HD alongside all the C5 channels, RTE News etc all for free!!!! In fact I watch more HD tv now than I did when I was paying €45 + €15 for the sky HD package.

It really is a rip off but they will charge through the nose for it until the sky customers desert them and they realise they have overmilked the cow

Where did you buy the ariva 150? The specs online make it a v.tempting purchase indeed.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Personally I only live a 10 minute walk away from satworld dot ie, so i use them a lot, they have a great selection of satellite and combo receivers in their shop and they are cheaper than most people think, so the savings can be huge when you think about how much sky charge.

By the way there are also loads of other reliable sites mentioned in the satellite section for buying boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    Personally I only live a 10 minute walk away from satworld dot ie, so i use them a lot, they have a great selection of satellite and combo receivers in their shop and they are cheaper than most people think, so the savings can be huge when you think about how much sky charge.

By the way there are also loads of other reliable sites mentioned in the satellite section for buying boxes.

I've used satworld before too, would recommend them.

Advertisement