Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Q

Options
  • 21-07-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about starting out with a wordpress blog, using one of their templates, etc. and how you might then go about making that site .ie or .com and without the 'wordpress' in the URL?

I'm curious as I've seen websites using wordpress templates but they are independent websites otherwise.

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You have a host, like Blacknight say, and you have a domain like username123.ie, and you do a wordpress install through the control panel on your host.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Wordpress is really easy...you just sign up with an email address and then start. It's very intuitive. There's a dashboard where you can choose a template and then you can add pages and then start adding posts of things you're interested in. To get rid of the wordpress bit you have to pay something like $20 per year...we didn't feel it was worth it. Here's our blog www.planetgeogblog.wordpress.com - you just need to play around and can wait till your happy before it goes live.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Wordpress.com is a restricted blog platform, similar to blogger. Fine for a blog type site but if you are building a CMS then you'll need hosting and host your own copy of Wordpress, which you download from Wordpress.org. If your only interested in creating a blog, and don't want to be delving into the technical details/installing plugins etc. I'd go with Wordpress.com (although self hosting may be cheaper). You should be able to register a .ie domain and have it point to your Wordpress.com blog

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks guys. I had no idea that I could do a straight up install from Wordpress via the host server. Just expected there to be some kind of licensing issue with the templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

pog it wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I had no idea that I could do a straight up install from Wordpress via the host server. Just expected there to be some kind of licensing issue with the templates.

You sound like you better go for wordpress.com. Template installation require some knowledge and experience. It may be very frustrating if you stuck with something you don't know or understand, and there are lot of possible issues you can cross. Try do blog on wordpress.com first and after some time you will know what to do with templates and hosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

zom wrote: »
    You sound like you better go for wordpress.com. Template installation require some knowledge and experience. It may be very frustrating if you stuck with something you don't know or understand, and there are lot of possible issues you can cross. Try do blog on wordpress.com first and after some time you will know what to do with templates and hosting.

I've used wordpress before but didn't know how it would work when it comes to keeping their templates and leaving wordpress out of url.

So thanks a lot for the info.

I'm into my 3rd week of html and css! Whatever I would produce now though wouldn't be too cool so I'll stick with wordpress for now.

Thanks a lot for the help all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm into my 3rd week of html and css! Whatever I would produce now though wouldn't be too cool so I'll stick with wordpress for now.

Nah, stick it on "your own" server if you are starting - better practice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've used wordpress before but didn't know how it would work when it comes to keeping their templates and leaving wordpress out of url.

So thanks a lot for the info.

Thanks a lot for the help all of you.

You'll have a lot more flexibility hosting Wordpress yourself, particularly if you will be heavily modifying the template at some point, relying on plugins. You can install Wordpress on your host generally with "1 click installers" but your best off downloading the latest version from www.wordpress.org and using that. Sometimes the versions the host uses can be out of date, sometimes access to the database/file system can be restricted and it can be a pain down the road if you need access to these things (everybody should keep backups of their CMS websites files & db regularly at any rate)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

I am a complete novice to wordpress but I am prepared to go with the flow and start a website. Do wordpress do hosting, someone mentioned that there is a charge of 20$ or so to get rid of the wordpress in the url .....

Yep I mentioned that...seems to have been shot down by other people but I think Wordpress is great for total novices...I was one!

• Advertisement

Hi Prettygurrly,

which one do I use, .com or .org and is there a charge for templates, I have a fair idea what I want so I'd say I'll get a template
    to suit me .....

We used .com...can't comment on .org. There's no charge for templates...i think you can do a tour of how to use Wordpress when you join...I had someone show me...but with most of these things they're made for people to be able to use them who have never written a webpage before - let us know when you have it up.

Also could you like our blog on facebook...would really appreciate the exposure - you never know who might be interested in Geography in your network :)https://www.facebook.com/pages/Planetgeogblog/654821997864571?fref=ts

Thank you so much Pretty,

I am going to give it a go this week, I have my own domain name, so I presume I can use this or do I have to go through Godaddy. This is where I get lost in control panels ....
    I'm not on Facebook but I'll get the family to like your blog there, thanks again ....

Advertisement