Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heel came off shoes after one wear, should I return?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Bought a pair of stiletto heels in Topshop last Sunday week. Wore them once during the week and when I came home, I noticed that the bottom of one of the heels had come off during the day (also did a bit of damage to my floors with the nail being exposed but not really the issue!). I know it's easily fixed but still I would really expect more from a pair of shoes that cost over a hundred euro. Should I return them?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi all.

Bought a pair of stiletto heels in Topshop last Sunday week. Wore them once during the week and when I came home, I noticed that the bottom of one of the heels had come off during the day (also did a bit of damage to my floors with the nail being exposed but not really the issue!). I know it's easily fixed but still I would really expect more from a pair of shoes that cost over a hundred euro. Should I return them?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

That would be an easy repair for them to sort for you. That job is €10 tops so as long as the store is near enough to make it worth your while not just getting it done yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hi all.

If the damage to the floor is substantial you should claim for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Slightly OT but a few years back I bought a pair of heels in Dorothy Perkins (same company as Topshop). First time wearing them was to a business meeting in London and somehow during the day both heel tips came off. On the way back I was on the travelator in the airport and one of the heels got caught in it. When I tried to get off the travelator the shoe stuck and I fell off. (Only thing hurt was my pride!) Reefed the shoe out and practically tore the entire heel off. Limped the rest of the way to the gate.

Brought the shoes back and had no problem getting a refund. They offered a replacement but I didn't want the shoes again after the nightmare I had with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it the small bit of rubber at the end and not the whole heel that came off?

A lot of shoes with very small heel footprints come with a warning that they can detach so check if yours did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

Hi all.

Yes!! definitley! they are topshop shoes, can't imagine they were cheap and should definitely not break the minute you wear them! defo return them they were clearly faulty!! The shop will have no prob taking them back or at least they shouldn't anyway!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Stheno wrote: »

A lot of shoes with very small heel footprints come with a warning that they can detach so check if yours did.

Yes, that's the bit. Will check later for that so I don't make a fool of myself.
    If the damage to the floor is substantial you should claim for that too.

Ah, it's just a couple of marks, nothing serious and certainly not worth claiming for.
    01902 wrote: »
    That would be an easy repair for them to sort for you. That job is €10 tops so as long as the store is near enough to make it worth your while not just getting it done yourself.

I kind of am so mad that that's how long they lasted. Like the repair isn't the issue, it's the shoddy manufacturing that bothers me.

Thanks all for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stheno wrote: »

Buying shoes that tell you that they are crap , that's some marketing department they have.

Does this supercede consumer law? We made it badly so if it falls apart on 1st use you are out of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Del2005 wrote: »
    Buying shoes that tell you that they are crap , that's some marketing department they have.

Does this supercede consumer law? We made it badly so if it falls apart on 1st use you are out of luck.

Usually there is a sticker on the sole/back of the shoe that says that due to the height of the heel and the strain the small heel will suffer that they can wear down/detach unexpectedly

I've had it happen plenty of times, makes sense if you are putting all of your weight on a very small area.

Not in a day though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

They took them back without a fuss. Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Good Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Del2005 wrote: »

Consumer Law comes first but consumer law won't protect you for making a bad choice if the warning was visible for you to read before purchase. If you don't like what the warning is telling you then don't buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

IIRC the disclaimer that is sometimes on the box is that the smaller the heel tip the faster they will wear down. From memory some shoes that I have bought have included a spare pair of heel tips for when the first pair wear down. But I have never seen a disclaimer saying that should the heel tips fall off (rather than wearing down) then there is no redress. Obviously when this happens the glue is not strong enough or has been used too sparingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Consumer Law comes first but consumer law won't protect you for making a bad choice if the warning was visible for you to read before purchase. If you don't like what the warning is telling you then don't buy.

Statute doesn't allow the retailer / manufacturer to contract out of obligations in many cases.

Advertisement