Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup is eating excrement

Options
  • 23-12-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I have a Samoyed, 15 weeks old.
    He was making great progress with the toilet training over the last few weeks.
    But, in the last week I wasn't seeing any poo left about in the morning or at any time for that matter, yet there was a stench in the room and he's obviously eating it.

The dog is extremely sensitive to a change in tone of my voice and I thought there may be an element of fear, but he has no problem stopping while on the lead to urinate or poo.

He's kept in the utility at night and this is generally when it is happening.

At the end of last week and the start of this week he also took to coming into the kitchen, either from the utility or after being outside and he'd urinate etc in the kitchen within 5 minutes. This has since stopped, but I suspect it's only because I have started observing him more carefully and on upon instruction he'll go to the door and I'll let him out to his 'spot'.

What can I do about him eating his own excrement?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Where did he come from OP? Pups learn doggy behaviour from the bitch who eats the faeces of the pups when they are small to keep the 'den' clean. Is he being taken out for a toilet break during the night? It sounds like he is just cleaning up after himself, take him out around 3 or 4 am for a week or two and see if this stops then gradually increase the time until he lasts all night. You can also put a restriction on the time he gets his last meal of the day and gradually make this later when the behaviour seems to have stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Firstly this is very common so don't worry in the first instance :)

Secondly he's only 15 weeks so I'm afraid maybe you might have to st the alarm and get up in the night time to let him out to go. What time do you feed him at last in the evening? If ity's late evening then try if possible to feed him earlier so that he has a chance to go when he is let out before bed time.

You could also try crate training him.

To stop this behaviour get some dried or fresh pineapple and mix it with his food, this will stop him eating it but it doesn't solve your problem of him going to the toilet over the course of the night so you will have to clean up in the morning.

Lastly - if you do a quick search on this subject you will find loads of older threads and much more great advice as this is a common problem and lots of posters have great tips to prevent it.

Good luck and Oh any chance of a pic of the little fella? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I'll try the pineapple see how it goes.
    We had have a baby in the house as well so I already have the alarm.
    The Pup gets to go out when it's feeding time for the baby, so he's getting out around 11-12midnight and again around 3 or 4 or 5 and again around 8 when the kids get up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Spinach seems to work as well. What are you feeding him OP? In some low quality foods, some pieces aren't digested and end up coming out the other end, making it appealing to the dog.

I'm feeding him Hills.
    I had been feeding him Pedigree Chum but he was suffering from severe flatulence. I don't feed any wet food.

Regarding picking the habit up off his mother. I've had him for 7 weeks, this habit is only after starting in the last week.

Everything else is spot on about the dog. Good recall. Excellent on the lead. Training in all other aspects I'm very happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like you may be leaving treats for him on the ground? Used to do so, but now only straight from hand, or in her bowl, as she went from eating tasty treats from the ground, to eating her own poop, and finally to eating her own sick; pretty much anything that smelt. :( Said "bad Holly" every time she did it, and tapped her on the head. She soon stopped doing it.

No treats at all. In 7 weeks he's got only one inch square of a slice of ham about 3 weeks ago.

I don't do treats at all with the dog. I used to breed spaniels and whilst a very different dog I never done treats with them either.

I only praise the dog for something well done and I'd spend alot of time playing with the dogs as well, but no treats.

Whether it's just luck or what he seems to have made more poos on his spot in the last 24 hours than in the previous 4 days. But I still suspect he may have eaten one in the early hours of this morning again.

The pineapple has arrived in todays shopping so lets see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hi micklcl09

how are things going now regarding the poop eating problem? does pineapple work ?? cheers

Pineapple is working. Found poo in the early hours of x mas. Rancid smell off it, like nothing I've smelt in my life. No wonder it works. Dog is signaling better as well for making trips outside to do his business. The smallest things work, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

My beagle went through a phase of eating his own poo, the likely reasons given to me were lack of nutrients in his diet or an eagerness to clean his mess up, since he see's you doing it.
    Generally it's part of the puppy process, some breeds are more noted for it than others, but thankfully he grew out of it pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Princess Aries

Im training my little fella at the mo too, a ten wk old Shih Tzu called Max, hes doing pretty well going on the paper most times only had a few accidents since we got him a week ago.. I did notice him taking quiet "an interest" in his poo, but pulled him away from it before he could get chewing.
    Ive read that the dogs see you picking it up and they think your eating it, so they will try eat it first, not sure if thats totally accurate but the advice was to clean up the poo when the dog isnt watching. Ive been doing that and he doesnt seem as bothered about it now?!

As you said OP sometimes the little things work, will keep the pinapple in mind tho for future reference! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Our dog did this when he was a pup, its not uncommon as someone said. He has stopped along time ago. Hes 9 months now.
    You just got to wait it out i think thats what we had to do.

Advertisement