Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM recommendation

• 27-05-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I am building a new PC and the motherboard I have is an ASRock Z97 Pro4. It supports RAM up to 3100MHz. I need to buy some RAM and my budget is a max of €80.

I am looking at the following 2 x 4GB kits:

G.Skill TridentX Series PC3-19200 2400MHz CL10 (10-12-12-31)

Kingston HyperX FURY PC3-14900 1866 MHz CL10 (10-10-10-30)

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT PC3-12800 1600 MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24)

Which of those would be recommended? Or indeed if you know of any others that would be better I would appreciate the recommendation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

For the majority of cases, the quantity of ram is more important than the speed of ram.

Being able to fit the entire task on 1600mhz will give you more speed than if you fit only half the job on 2400mhz.

I would suggest first sticking at 1600mhz up untill 16gb, and only then increasing the speed if you have the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks for the reply. So essentially the only figures worth worrying about are the capactity (GB) and speed (MHz)? The other numbers like 9-9-9-24 aren't really of any consequence?

In my case there isn't much between the cost of each of them so I might just go for the fastest set. I can't really afford 16GB now so I should probably make the most of the 8GB I can afford.

Thanks for the reply. So essentially the only figures worth worrying about are the capactity (GB) and speed (MHz)? The other numbers like 9-9-9-24 aren't really of any consequence?

In my case there isn't much between the cost of each of them so I might just go for the fastest set. I can't really afford 16GB now so I should probably make the most of the 8GB I can afford.

My knowledge of RAM is really limited unfortunately.

Those other numbers are called the "timings" and lower numbers are better.

Better quality RAM will have faster timings than cheaper brands.

The very best RAM will have a fast main speed and fast timings.

My advice is to go for the fastest you can afford if you are staying at 8gb. So the 2400 in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Don't you have to check what speed you processor can handle as well. What is your CPU?

I have the i5 4460. Just checked there that it only supports 1600 MHz...

• Advertisement

I have the i5 4460. Just checked there that it only supports 1600 MHz...

Fugg...

I forgot to mention that...You also have to check if your motherboard will support different speeds.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Fugg...

I forgot to mention that...You also have to check if your motherboard will support different speeds.

The mobo supported it alright but the CPU didn't. No harm done anyway I bought the RAM from memoryc.ie and they cancelled my original order with no penalty so I could get compatible RAM. Went with G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9 so it should do the job nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for this info guys, was just about to order memory and had not thought to check cpu compatibility.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is the ram not automatically stepped down in speed to be compatible?

IIRC faster RAM would run at the slower speed if mixed with slower RAM stick.

Thought the same applies regarding CPU ..... but it is not something I have even read about for years so probably wrong ....

Advertisement