Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching as A Mature Student.

Options
  • 02-02-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I would appreciate some advice on this. I would love to go back to college as a mature student to study Primary Teaching.
    However I don't know if this would actually be a viable option for me as I am currently a working mother and we need the extra income. Is there such thing as a back to school allowance that I could claim? And if there is are there regulations on been able to claim it?
    Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

there isn't as far as I know, and it would be difficult to combine a full time course and a part time job, without having children as well. There are grants available, assuming you haven't already got a degree.

There is a fabulous support group in the college, the student parent support service.
    http://www.misu.ie/index.php/studentsupp/student-parent-support-service

Have a look at http://www.studentfinance.ie/ as well, it will give you some information in regards to grants as well.

All I can say as a parent myself, returning to education is difficult, tough to manage with children and very little money. Is it worth it?? I think so, I've loved every minute, I didn't do primary teaching, but know several parents who have done it.

A good support group is essential for long hours, teaching practice and your time away in the Gaeltacht.

I think that the course has now gone from 3 to 4 years which also is a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 beckspell

Hi There, I returned to college in Sep 2013 as a mature student and am currently doing the B.Ed course. I don't have children but some of my fellow students do & as mentioned above you need strong support behind you. The workload is fierce but the course is enjoyable. As regards to finance, check with your local social welfare office to see if and how you could qualify for Back To Education Allowance. I qualified because I was made redundant but you can also qualify if you have been out of work for a while...not sure on the details of this so check it out. Also, you may qualify for a grant for your fees if you have been out of education for the last 5 years or you are an undergraduate, this is means tested but check out susi.ie for details. If you really want to be a teacher then go for it! you won't be alone but make sure you know what it entails & also it would be extremely tough to keep working part-time in conjunction with this course. Best of luck with everything!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Hey Backspell - just want to question you further on this if that's okay! I'm hoping to head back in September. I'll be eligible for the non-adjacent grant rate but because I'll be working up until the week before I go back, I won't be entitled to BTEA and will have to work part time - will it really be that tough? I intend to work 2 evenings a week (for 4 hours) and at weekends.

What are your thoughts? Will it be really tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 beckspell

Hi Intouch9,

I have friends who continued working part-time through-out the course so it is possible!But you do need to be organised & dedicated, also just have a think about if you have to work every weekend, all weekend. Coming up to assignments & exams you may need the extra time! But it's definitely do-able! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Cool - thanks so much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement