Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal County Down

Options
  • 06-02-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

I know there's been a few threads on this place but wondering if anyone has played it recently? I'm tempted to head down next week at some point (weather permitting) so I emailed with a few q's. They got back fairly promptly and told me that there were 2 temporary greens in play and that (morning) times were available for most of the week (not Wednesday).

Right now it's £50, and I know it's unlikely you'll get RCD (and the 3rd best course in the world...supposedly!) for any cheaper in the foreseeable future, so, considering the 2 holes that are out are 8 and 11, is there anyone out there who thinks it might not be worth it? Are those two holes especially spectacular, or am I not losing out too much by not playing them? Advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

I know there's been a few threads on this place but wondering if anyone has played it recently? I'm tempted to head down next week at some point (weather permitting) so I emailed with a few q's. They got back fairly promptly and told me that there were 2 temporary greens in play and that (morning) times were available for most of the week (not Wednesday).

Right now it's £50, and I know it's unlikely you'll get RCD (and the 3rd best course in the world...supposedly!) for any cheaper in the foreseeable future, so, considering the 2 holes that are out are 8 and 11, is there anyone out there who thinks it might not be worth it? Are those two holes especially spectacular, or am I not losing out too much by not playing them? Advice appreciated!

Ok, I've never played. Starting off with that, but I'd def play it ASAP if I were you. Ok £50 (probably) wont break the bank and you will get to play one of the best courses anywhere in the world. If you are blown away (metaphorically and physically lol) you might well decide to go up in the summer when it'd be at its peak and if you are more meh it'll still be fantastic to have played it.

^^^^^ all of the above is my reasoning for going up as soon as the wife has forgotten about me paying my sub in January :-) probably mid march lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

:eek:

Are Fairways and tee boxes in play ?

Well worth it -if so - I payed about 200 euro in summer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Go and visit, go and visit.

How they work it this time of year is you're basically playing off the red tees, which sounds wrong but still comes in around 6,200 yards. Unless you're a signed up member of the 300 club, this is probably a good thing.

All the fairways and tee boxes are open and as you know, 2 temp greens are in play. But in all my time playing golf, I've never seen temp greens that keep the spirit of a hole intact as well. They feel more semi permanent than temporary.

Don't listen to the worries about airs and graces either. The changing rooms are a wall of fame and you'll spend about 20 mins just walking around the photos, while the grub is not only good, but cheap.

Enjoy.

* to answer your question

8 is slightly affected for as a hole it's all about the approach, which would normally be uphill of 150+yards to a narrow green. The temp green is up beside the main green but is on the crest rather than over it.

11 isn't really affected at all. This hole is all about the outrageously blind tee shot, while the temp green follows the hole's natural arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

If Carlsberg did temporary greens...

If you said there were 6 temps I'd probably reconsider but, as thewobbler says, these are probably not temporary greens like you've ever seen (i.e. a round circle of fairway, with strategic divots placed around the hole because the club don't think to make it GUR for the 2 months before they know the temps will be needed!).

I played last year in February and we played off the whites (6,700 yards). My 80 year old dad had a peach of a round (34 points I recall). My blog is here.

Either way, you need to go play it. You'll have an amazing experience. Photos from Feb are here.

I hope to get up there myself in the next 2-3 weeks but work's not allowing me quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Does anyone know how long the £50 offer lasts for? I assume it's mid week as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

TRS30 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the £50 offer lasts for? I assume it's mid week as well?

Midweek only and it goes up to £75 on March 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I've played it the last 3 winters in a row and the conditioning of the course during the winter months is absolutly fantastic. The fairways are firm and in pristine condition as are the greens and their surface and roll. Also i've never encountered a temporary green there any time I've played it in winter so perhaps the two temp greens are due to the recent snow rather than standard winter practice? I'd recommend you pay the place a visit anyway. 8 happens to be my favourite hole on the course, a beautiful brute of a par 4 as it's often into the wind, and the place really does deserve every accolade it gets. Also they push the gents tee's up in the winter but it still plays pretty long, and is by no means easy. The fairways and greens stay fully open though and there is no hitting off mats or temporary tee boxes.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I've played it the last 3 winters in a row and the conditioning of the course during the winter months is absolutly fantastic. The fairways are firm and in pristine condition as are the greens and their surface and roll. Also i've never encountered a temporary green there any time I've played it in winter so perhaps the two temp greens are due to the recent snow rather than standard winter practice? I'd recommend you pay the place a visit anyway. 8 happens to be my favourite hole on the course, a beautiful brute of a par 4 as it's often into the wind, and the place really does deserve every accolade it gets. Also they push the gents tee's up in the winter but it still plays pretty long, and is by no means easy. The fairways and greens stay fully open though and there is no hitting off mats or temporary tee boxes.

8 is out of action because they're re-laying the green. I was walking past them (in November) while they were working on it, and the civil engineer was instructing his lackies to lower a slope by 0.6mm. Precision stuff.

11 was partly dug up rather than fully rebuilding at that time.

As Kevin guessed above, as 8 and 11 are actually being reworked, the temp greens have actually been thought about, and are being tended for. They're also pretty much full-size greens, and not just a flag in a 10 foot radius of semi-mown area.

They have a sign up in the pro shop making it clear that, save for exceptional circumstances, the course will remain fully open apart from greens 8 and 11, throughout the winter. It's nice to see a course being that straightforward and sensible about their policies. I've been put off visiting a number of links course this winter because of daft fairway protection and green refreshing policies. One Dublin course was even a bit offended because I didn't want to play their 14 hole winter course.

Personally I can't understand how or why a mature links course needs a winter rest. Architect, any reasons?

thewobbler wrote: »
    8 is out of action because they're re-laying the green. I was walking past them (in November) while they were working on it, and the civil engineer was instructing his lackies to lower a slope by 0.6mm. Precision stuff.

As Kevin guessed above, as 8 and 11 are actually being reworked, the temp greens have actually been thought about, and are being tended for. They're also pretty much full-size greens, and not just a flag in a 10 foot radius of semi-mown area.

They have a sign up in the pro shop making it clear that, save for exceptional circumstances, the course will remain fully open apart from greens 8 and 11, throughout the winter. It's nice to see a course being that straightforward and sensible about their policies. I've been put off visiting a number of links course this winter because of daft fairway protection and green refreshing policies. One Dublin course was even a bit offended because I didn't want to play their 14 hole winter course.

Personally I can't understand how or why a mature links course needs a winter rest. Architect, any reasons?

I'd say 0.6 M :confused:

I think I will head up - great stuff lads.
    Agree with links . Was on a links recently and a bit mad that fairways were closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

The course is in great condition. I live a few miles away and get out for £20 a round with my mate who is a member. They normally butcher the Smaller course to keep the big one operational. The smaller course is also a great track in the summer months. Not as difficult but more enjoyable if you want something more laid back. Newcastle as a town has some wonderful bars and restaurants which I normally frequent. Feel free to ask for suggestions. Also if anyone is making a day of it might I also recommend Ardglass and Kilkeel which are both on the coast and half an hour each way of RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

thewobbler wrote: »

Pretty straight forward really. No growth plus cold ground temperatures equals possible damage to the rootzone with no opportunity for repair. Tends to be only January and February for many links courses because November and December can see surprising growth unless there is severe frost.

Pretty straight forward really. No growth plus cold ground temperatures equals possible damage to the rootzone with no opportunity for repair. Tends to be only January and February for many links courses because November and December can see surprising growth unless there is severe frost.

The_Architect - this is a total amateur question. Do links courses ever spread seed ? :rolleyes:

The course is in great condition. I live a few miles away and get out for £20 a round with my mate who is a member. They normally butcher the Smaller course to keep the big one operational. The smaller course is also a great track in the summer months. Not as difficult but more enjoyable if you want something more laid back. Newcastle as a town has some wonderful bars and restaurants which I normally frequent. Feel free to ask for suggestions. Also if anyone is making a day of it might I also recommend Ardglass and Kilkeel which are both on the coast and half an hour each way of RCD.

Now that would be a great trip - a game and a few pints after.

4 ball - B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keeping a very close eye on next week's forecast, if it turns out reasonable, I'll make the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keeping a very close eye on next week's forecast, if it turns out reasonable, I'll make the journey!

Make sure to let us know how you got on!!

Hopefully not premature but forecast for Thursday has held out nicely and I've decided to make the leap! 10 30am Thursday morning, can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Plus links often have undulating fairways which gather the ball into certain spots and these end up being overused and therefore need more protection. The downside may be use of mats but the upside is that they are never (almost) closed due to excess water and usually fair better than parkland regarding closure for frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Good value at £50 this time of year if you get a reasonably calm day. Well worth the visit, even just to tick the box on the to do list. While it is a very good course think it is slightly overrated when it comes to rankings. Personally would have it in the top 10-20 in the country.

The £50 rate has been the winter rate for the last few years so would presume it will be back oct/nov till march ish.

If you have never played before a caddy is a very worth while investment as there are a number of blind tee shots. Lucky enough to get a guy that caddied in the walker cup there last time I played. He knew all the lines and was good for finding exactly where blind drives finished (think it was an extra £15 or so each between a 4ball)

Well, all done after a very enjoyable day indeed! I had a lot of expectations for the place and can honestly say I was not at all disappointed. The quality of golf was never going to be the priority and in that regard, none of us were disappointed :rolleyes: ; having said that, for my first time around the place, a stableford total of 33 points in difficult conditions was fairly respectable I thought.

First thing I noticed was, ominously, the deposits of snow that projected from the Mourne Mountains. It was damn cold out there, especially over the first 5 or 6 holes and the wind was fresh, as you'll be able to discern from the vids below! So even though we were off forward tees, it was tough. But really fair as well; the fairways were perfectly generous and even though a wild shot off the tee would suffer, a reasonable drive would not be unfairly brutalised. I do think this was important because, as I was told, there are blind shots and plenty of 'em. Amongst them are 9 and 11, which are spectacular holes, and must be included in the 'stand-out' list for me. Also there are 3, 8, 13 and 15, each and every one a par 4 of aesthetic beauty and substantial difficulty.

My highlights came on the par 3's; 10 and 14 are probably the two hardest short holes on the course, but I gave myself 2 great chances for birdie from 9 and 6 feet respectively. I managed to take the latter chance, and even though I missed from less than 2 feet on 16 and from 6 feet on 18 to add to my birdie 'haul', at least I can say I squeezed one deuce out of the place!

Overall, had a great day with the bro and the old man. Delighted I played and would recommend it to anyone, especially for £50. Complaints? As I was informed, there were temporary greens on 8 and 11, but they didn't really take away from the 2 holes in question. A few of the fairways the back 9 were sanded, which we were not told about, but still great holes and very enjoyable.

Few vids from the day below, definitely among the better shots from all concerned :)

Me off 10

Me again off 14. Nice shot there :)

My dad drills one down 9

My bro off 9 as well. You can see the ball flight up against the mountain, pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of the best courses around and never disappoints. I'd also recommend Royal Portrush which is equally challenging.

stockdam wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of the best courses around and never disappoints. I'd also recommend Royal Portrush which is equally challenging.

Yeah, I've played Portrush a couple of times, great track as well. I like the fact that there aren't really any blind shots on the Dunluce (except for the 7th if memory serves), but I think RCD just clips it as the better course overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Played up there today. I was worried going up over the frost but when we arrived all was good and it turned out to be an absolutely glorious day in t shirts!!!

Not a hint of wind and smashing when the sun came through the few clouds that were up there. We were off the whites but they were pushed forward a fair bit. Holes were playing about 400 or so for par 4's on average.

I'd never played before up there so I was studying the stroke saver over every shot.
    Place was in amazing condition and the ground was like the middle of summer with lightening fast greens. The lads I was with knocked putts off the green a couple of times.
    A tight short game is essential up there with the roll offs on the greens.

Very enjoyable day topped off with a delicious 34 points for myself and a good pressure par putt on the last to win the little match play game between us 1up.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Played up there today. I was worried going up over the frost but when we arrived all was good and it turned out to be an absolutely glorious day in t shirts!!!

Not a hint of wind and smashing when the sun came through the few clouds that were up there. We were off the whites but they were pushed forward a fair bit. Holes were playing about 400 or so for par 4's on average.

I'd never played before up there so I was studying the stroke saver over every shot.
    Place was in amazing condition and the ground was like the middle of summer with lightening fast greens. The lads I was with knocked putts off the green a couple of times.
    A tight short game is essential up there with the roll offs on the greens.

Very enjoyable day topped off with a delicious 34 points for myself and a good pressure par putt on the last to win the little match play game between us 1up.

Great golf and a great day for it up there.

Off your handicap that must be 78 or 79 :eek: - that should get an Oscar up there. BenIcetomonty was a great score too.

Great golf and a great day for it up there.

Off your handicap that must be 78 or 79 :eek: - that should get an Oscar up there. BenIcetomonty was a great score too.

78 strokes yeah.

2 birdies(back 9)
    9 pars
    5 bogeys
    2 d.bogeys

On the 16th I hit my best drive of the day and the ball rolled up onto the green and right past the flag stick neat hitting it and fell off the back. A very good putt back up the hill sat stone dead for a tap in birdie.

My other bird was on the 14th which was 185 to the flag I think. I "pured" ;) a 6iron and sat about 15 ft from the hole. I just had a good feeling about the putt standing over it even though it was a big right to left slightly downhill. It went straight into the middle of the cup.

A truly enjoyable round in that place and ill never forget it. I might frame the card ;)

78 strokes yeah.

2 birdies(back 9)
    9 pars
    5 bogeys
    2 d.bogeys

On the 16th I hit my best drive of the day and the ball rolled up onto the green and right past the flag stick neat hitting it and fell off the back. A very good putt back up the hill sat stone dead for a tap in birdie.

My other bird was on the 14th which was 185 to the flag I think. I "pured" ;) a 6iron and sat about 15 ft from the hole. I just had a good feeling about the putt standing over it even though it was a big right to left slightly downhill. It went straight into the middle of the cup.

A truly enjoyable round in that place and ill never forget it. I might frame the card ;)

Class - would you like to thank anyone - Oscar Like ;)

Class - would you like to thank anyone - Oscar Like ;)

I'd like to thank my mam for having me.
    I'm very grateful she got very drunk that night she met the Spanish sailor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

No divots in front of the clubhouse! you ole pro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Played it Ulster Youths in around 2000/2001 and th elocal caddies said they make a fortune on that hole. Normally a few young lads wait at the back of the green and if anyone hits a drive remotley near the green the ball ends up in the hole:D

Nice pay day, especially from a few of the wealthier yanks!

• Advertisement

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    No divots in front of the clubhouse! you ole pro!

Very kind :) Unfortunately my dad more than made up for my efforts at preservation! Chunk chunk chunk....

Advertisement