Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling in Ireland today

Options
  • 03-10-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Anybody tried it lately?
    I had a good day,tried it in the 3 shops i visited and got a result in them all.For the last few years if you tried it ,you would be told "thats the price ,take or leave it".
    Today i went into town,bought a couple of mirrors,asked for money off because i was buying 2 for €90.Got 10% off marked price.They were already marked down it sale ,so it was 10% on top of that.
    Went into games (boardgames)shop again was buying 2,got €10.00 off €68.00 price.
    3rd purchase again was in another boardgame shop,told them item was cheaper in other shop and that i had it on order.They knocked €10.00 off and i got it for €49.00.

Maybe its the euro strenght against stg and dollar,i don't mind the reason ,i'm just glad i asked.It saved me a few euro.

So is anyone else haggling?.
    Anyone get any good deals recently?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Haggle with taxi drivers.
    Got one home last night that usually costs €30.
    I just went up the rank offering €20 until someone who wasnt scared of the other drivers took me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

People are too accepting of prices these days. Good on ye for haggling. I only do it in places where I know the markup is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Always haggle. "Oh it's already on offer." "Right I don't want it." Simple. Nowhere near enough people do it any more, think my dad got about 100 quid off a coupla beds and mattresses a coupla years back. The ma said she was "mortified" when he asked. Silly bitch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never haggled in Ireland until this recession. TBH, most retailers selling things like furniture or electronics would have looked at ya like ya had 2 heads back in the Celtic Tiger days.

I recently bought a recliner armchair for 200 quid, (100 off the list price) Alot of places are desperate these days I find. Its great!

Always haggle when I go abroad though. Haggled with a gypsy woman in Italy over the price of a fridge magnet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Agricola wrote: »
    Never haggled in Ireland until this recession. TBH, most retailers selling things like furniture or electronics would have looked at ya like ya had 2 heads back in the Celtic Tiger days.

Ya should've let them. Even in the "Celtic Tiger" days there were massive savings to be had. One person I know got 200 euro off a TV which was marked down already from 1400 to 1100, he just asked for a "cash discount". Harvey Norman's is a classic example "Oh it's on sale, the price is locked in the computer." Total bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My mom does it with more expensive things (electronics, expensive clothes etc.).

Just saying "Is that the best price you can do?" politely normally does the trick. The person behind the counter will either say "I can knock of £20/10% for you?" or "Yes".

If you don't ask, you don't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

amacachi wrote: »
    Silly bitch.

Cracked up at that...

Too right about haggling; you obviously have to pick your spots though an do a little research. I got about €800's worth off a home entertainment package (TV/Bluray/Surround Sound/PS3) worth about €4k in a Sony store about 2 years ago.

I did it by printing up a false invoice from a crowd in England and getting other stuff bundled in (including a Vogel wall bracket - which are top of the line and v expensive at about €400 RRP).

The key is go straight to a decision-maker, don't trade awkwardness with some teenager ringing the items up who has no experience or knowledge of how bulk/discount purchasing works, and don't care about you walking away. Small business owners who have complete and 100% say in everything are your best bet. They also feel the kick more if you're threatening to walk away from a potential sale, and you can exploit that.

I've done the taxi thing successfully 3 times in the last couple of months. The fares quoted are the maximum fares, and are bendable. That said, good luck trying it on at 3.30am on a Sunday morning. You'll get to: "Will you do it for €..." before he's driven 10 yards and some gaggle of D4 tangogirls have gladly piled in for full whack. Like I said, pick you spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I went to buy runners few weeks ago, the lad selling them said "x is such and such price, but il give you €10 off" i was trying to hold in my happiness. So nice to get stuff for cheaper, just shows how much we've been ripped off though.

For the first few months i was working in a shop in dun leary. People were always asking for discounts and tried to haggle with me. I would have loved to but my boss told me to just say politely that they are the set prices. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

What about NAMA - the greatest haggle of them all - but the government did it the wrong way round!

What about NAMA - the greatest haggle of them all - but the government did it the wrong way round!

Banker: "Yes Mr Lenihan, I believe the toxic loans to be worth 47 billion"

Mr. Lenihan: "Ok ok, will ya......................will ya take 54 billion. Thats the best I can do!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I remember haggling with one of the lucky lucky men on holidays He showed me this cheapo fake necklace and a bracelet and was asking for 10 and 15 each. I handed him a fiver and said I'll take both for this much. He put up a little bit of an argument then agreed. It was worth the 5er for the entertainment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Got €45 off a bed this week. :D

"What's the best price for a cash sale?" is a great line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭georgem25

Bought two items of furniture recently and the shop was offering 10% off with voucher in the local paper. Haggled more and got nearly 15% even though one item was already on sale! Great savings - also got free delivery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bought a guitar a few months ago and got €330 off.

I wasn't gonna complain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Always wanted to haggle in a place like HMV or Topman by saying that I could buy the same product from the same company online cheaper than they sell it instore (due to the €/£ exchange rate) but just haven't got the nerve. I've a feeling they'd either laugh at you or just wet themselves and not know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got 5 cents off a snickers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

haggling is sensible I suppose but as someone who works in retail I have to say you hagglers are annoying :D

Yeah over the years people have often asked if there is a discount for paying cash and i never got what they meant. Like what if your not paying cash how are you going to pay? with sheep, or some other form of barter :confused:

Arab fuckers were always the worst. they'd be all like 'My friend, my friend, you give to me for half price, yes? And I'd just be thinking to myself 'Save your haggling for the streets or tangiers you cheapskate cunt :p

The ones I hate the most are the ones who are looking for tiny, insignificant discounts. Like whats the point in saving yourself the price of a mars bar?

And another thing, when you go into a department store and you ask a regular shop assistant to give you a discount for no reason I mean it's not as if he or she working in his daddy's personal little shop. they're under contract to sell things at specific prices. Just pay the price thats on it and don't be so jewish i say:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

GDM wrote: »
    Always wanted to haggle in a place like HMV or Topman by saying that I could buy the same product from the same company online cheaper than they sell it instore (due to the €/£ exchange rate) but just haven't got the nerve. I've a feeling they'd either laugh at you or just wet themselves and not know what to say.

Topman and HMV both offer student discounts... What that does it gives the cashier the power to take 10% of the cost of the purchase. I always ask for discount and the teller get such a shock they usually put it through without question

Some great discounts I received lately

I bought a car recently and got 13K of the list price
    Purchased two bikes recently and got 36% of the bikes

I'm at the stage now where i haggle with everyone, even at the butchers. If they won't discount the cut i'm purchasing I always get them to add an extra chop or a chicken fillet. If you don't ask you don't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

haggling is sensible I suppose but as someone who works in retail I have to say you hagglers are annoying :D

Yeah over the years people have often asked if there is a discount for paying cash and i never got what they meant. Like what if your not paying cash how are you going to pay? with sheep, or some other form of barter :confused:

Arab fuckers were always the worst. they'd be all like 'My friend, my friend, you give to me for half price, yes? And I'd just be thinking to myself 'Save your haggling for the streets or tangiers you cheapskate cunt :p

The ones I hate the most are the ones who are looking for tiny, insignificant discounts. Like whats the point in saving yourself the price of a mars bar?

And another thing, when you go into a department store and you ask a regular shop assistant to give you a discount for no reason I mean it's not as if he or she working in his daddy's personal little shop. they're under contract to sell things at specific prices. Just pay the price thats on it and don't be so jewish i say:D

Wow, you managed to offend both Arab's and Jews there. Wanna say something about Christians or do they all pay full whack. Those damn Buddhists, with their Zen Currency!!!

BTW, More often than not, Managers have the Authority to give fairly decent discounts, but regular staff don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'd rather save myself the hassle of haggling, buy it online as it circumnavigates the haggling and you'll more then likely get it cheaper then the post haggle price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The Sony Centre in Wexford town are great for haggling or getting extras.
    When my mam was getting her laptop she basically said "That the best price you can do?".
    They gave her a bit of a discount, to which she responded "Sounds good, and you'll throw in a mouse too I assume".

Got my laptop in there a while later, he gave me a free bag for it on the condition I get an extended warranty (which I would have anyway)

I'd rather save myself the hassle of haggling, buy it online as it circumnavigates the haggling and you'll more then likely get it cheaper then the post haggle price.

Amen
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    The Sony Centre in Wexford town are great for haggling or getting extras.

When my mam was getting her laptop she basically said "That the best price you can do?".
    They gave her a bit of a discount, to which she responded "Sounds good, and you'll throw in a mouse too I assume".
    Got my laptop in there a while later, he gave me a free bag for it on the condition I get an extended warranty (which I would have anyway)

I wish my mother was like that! A) She doesnt know what a mouse is, (bar the 4 legged variety) B) Shes old skool and thinks haggling isnt a respectable pursuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, you managed to offend both Arab's and Jews there. Wanna say something about Christians or do they all pay full whack. Those damn Buddhists, with their Zen Currency!!!

BTW, More often than not, Managers have the Authority to give fairly decent discounts, but regular staff don't.

He did ( I doubt it was intentional), but it was seriously funny too because I could almost 'hear him tell me that story.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

1 I use is I go to the cashier and ask why is this item half price, most times they are to lazy to check it and say, I dont know

but if they do check its no problem I just say ooooooo ok sry,

this work mostly in big stores where there is many sales on different items,

a bit of Darren Brown.

you would be surprised how many things it works with, in Harvey Normans I got an American style fridge with all the bits for €385,

in my favor alot of stuff was on sale der plus few choice words (thanks Darren)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I normally ask "is that the best you can do" in the mechanics, but not much elsewhere... Got new windows put in, a stairs and some other bits, haggled like a mo fo there.. got lots off the price :)

Fintonie that's more or less like theft... not haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Got €45 off a bed this week. :D

I know it's the oldest profession in the world, but that's a bit cheap isn't it.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

I normally ask "is that the best you can do" in the mechanics, but not much elsewhere... Got new windows put in, a stairs and some other bits, haggled like a mo fo there.. got lots off the price :)

Fintonie that's more or less like theft... not haggling.

I have a receipt when leaving they have my money I dont see the problem,

if staff are lazy I just reap the rewards no bells sound when I leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I know it's the oldest profession in the world, but that's a bit cheap isn't it.....:)

I charge by the inch:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

Got a 60 watt bass amp worth 300 euro for a grand total of 75 euro a while back :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Auctioner: Our first item is a pair of panties confiscated from a prostitute.
    Quagmire: Fifty bucks.
    Auctioner: She had nine STDs.
    Quagmire: Forty-five bucks.
    Auctioner: And when we caught her she wet herself.
    Quagmire: Fifty bucks.

Advertisement