Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haggling in Ireland today

• 03-10-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Anybody tried it lately?
    I had a good day,tried it in the 3 shops i visited and got a result in them all.For the last few years if you tried it ,you would be told "thats the price ,take or leave it".
    Today i went into town,bought a couple of mirrors,asked for money off because i was buying 2 for €90.Got 10% off marked price.They were already marked down it sale ,so it was 10% on top of that.
    Went into games (boardgames)shop again was buying 2,got €10.00 off €68.00 price.
    3rd purchase again was in another boardgame shop,told them item was cheaper in other shop and that i had it on order.They knocked €10.00 off and i got it for €49.00.

Maybe its the euro strenght against stg and dollar,i don't mind the reason ,i'm just glad i asked.It saved me a few euro.

So is anyone else haggling?.
    Anyone get any good deals recently?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Haggle with taxi drivers.
    Got one home last night that usually costs €30.
    I just went up the rank offering €20 until someone who wasnt scared of the other drivers took me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

People are too accepting of prices these days. Good on ye for haggling. I only do it in places where I know the markup is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Always haggle. "Oh it's already on offer." "Right I don't want it." Simple. Nowhere near enough people do it any more, think my dad got about 100 quid off a coupla beds and mattresses a coupla years back. The ma said she was "mortified" when he asked. Silly bitch. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never haggled in Ireland until this recession. TBH, most retailers selling things like furniture or electronics would have looked at ya like ya had 2 heads back in the Celtic Tiger days.

I recently bought a recliner armchair for 200 quid, (100 off the list price) Alot of places are desperate these days I find. Its great!

Always haggle when I go abroad though. Haggled with a gypsy woman in Italy over the price of a fridge magnet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Agricola wrote: »
    Never haggled in Ireland until this recession. TBH, most retailers selling things like furniture or electronics would have looked at ya like ya had 2 heads back in the Celtic Tiger days.

Ya should've let them. Even in the "Celtic Tiger" days there were massive savings to be had. One person I know got 200 euro off a TV which was marked down already from 1400 to 1100, he just asked for a "cash discount". Harvey Norman's is a classic example "Oh it's on sale, the price is locked in the computer." Total bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My mom does it with more expensive things (electronics, expensive clothes etc.).

Just saying "Is that the best price you can do?" politely normally does the trick. The person behind the counter will either say "I can knock of £20/10% for you?" or "Yes".

If you don't ask, you don't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

amacachi wrote: »
    Silly bitch.

Cracked up at that...

Too right about haggling; you obviously have to pick your spots though an do a little research. I got about €800's worth off a home entertainment package (TV/Bluray/Surround Sound/PS3) worth about €4k in a Sony store about 2 years ago.

I did it by printing up a false invoice from a crowd in England and getting other stuff bundled in (including a Vogel wall bracket - which are top of the line and v expensive at about €400 RRP).

The key is go straight to a decision-maker, don't trade awkwardness with some teenager ringing the items up who has no experience or knowledge of how bulk/discount purchasing works, and don't care about you walking away. Small business owners who have complete and 100% say in everything are your best bet. They also feel the kick more if you're threatening to walk away from a potential sale, and you can exploit that.

I've done the taxi thing successfully 3 times in the last couple of months. The fares quoted are the maximum fares, and are bendable. That said, good luck trying it on at 3.30am on a Sunday morning. You'll get to: "Will you do it for €..." before he's driven 10 yards and some gaggle of D4 tangogirls have gladly piled in for full whack. Like I said, pick you spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I went to buy runners few weeks ago, the lad selling them said "x is such and such price, but il give you €10 off" i was trying to hold in my happiness. So nice to get stuff for cheaper, just shows how much we've been ripped off though.

For the first few months i was working in a shop in dun leary. People were always asking for discounts and tried to haggle with me. I would have loved to but my boss told me to just say politely that they are the set prices. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

What about NAMA - the greatest haggle of them all - but the government did it the wrong way round!

What about NAMA - the greatest haggle of them all - but the government did it the wrong way round!

Banker: "Yes Mr Lenihan, I believe the toxic loans to be worth 47 billion"

Mr. Lenihan: "Ok ok, will ya......................will ya take 54 billion. Thats the best I can do!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I remember haggling with one of the lucky lucky men on holidays He showed me this cheapo fake necklace and a bracelet and was asking for 10 and 15 each. I handed him a fiver and said I'll take both for this much. He put up a little bit of an argument then agreed. It was worth the 5er for the entertainment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Got €45 off a bed this week. :D

"What's the best price for a cash sale?" is a great line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

Bought two items of furniture recently and the shop was offering 10% off with voucher in the local paper. Haggled more and got nearly 15% even though one item was already on sale! Great savings - also got free delivery:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bought a guitar a few months ago and got €330 off.

I wasn't gonna complain. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Always wanted to haggle in a place like HMV or Topman by saying that I could buy the same product from the same company online cheaper than they sell it instore (due to the €/£ exchange rate) but just haven't got the nerve. I've a feeling they'd either laugh at you or just wet themselves and not know what to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I got 5 cents off a snickers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

haggling is sensible I suppose but as someone who works in retail I have to say you hagglers are annoying :D

Yeah over the years people have often asked if there is a discount for paying cash and i never got what they meant. Like what if your not paying cash how are you going to pay? with sheep, or some other form of barter :confused:

Arab fuckers were always the worst. they'd be all like 'My friend, my friend, you give to me for half price, yes? And I'd just be thinking to myself 'Save your haggling for the streets or tangiers you cheapskate cunt :p

The ones I hate the most are the ones who are looking for tiny, insignificant discounts. Like whats the point in saving yourself the price of a mars bar?

And another thing, when you go into a department store and you ask a regular shop assistant to give you a discount for no reason I mean it's not as if he or she working in his daddy's personal little shop. they're under contract to sell things at specific prices. Just pay the price thats on it and don't be so jewish i say:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

GDM wrote: »
    Always wanted to haggle in a place like HMV or Topman by saying that I could buy the same product from the same company online cheaper than they sell it instore (due to the €/£ exchange rate) but just haven't got the nerve. I've a feeling they'd either laugh at you or just wet themselves and not know what to say.

Topman and HMV both offer student discounts... What that does it gives the cashier the power to take 10% of the cost of the purchase. I always ask for discount and the teller get such a shock they usually put it through without question

Some great discounts I received lately

I bought a car recently and got 13K of the list price
    Purchased two bikes recently and got 36% of the bikes

I'm at the stage now where i haggle with everyone, even at the butchers. If they won't discount the cut i'm purchasing I always get them to add an extra chop or a chicken fillet. If you don't ask you don't get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

haggling is sensible I suppose but as someone who works in retail I have to say you hagglers are annoying :D

Yeah over the years people have often asked if there is a discount for paying cash and i never got what they meant. Like what if your not paying cash how are you going to pay? with sheep, or some other form of barter :confused:

Arab fuckers were always the worst. they'd be all like 'My friend, my friend, you give to me for half price, yes? And I'd just be thinking to myself 'Save your haggling for the streets or tangiers you cheapskate cunt :p

The ones I hate the most are the ones who are looking for tiny, insignificant discounts. Like whats the point in saving yourself the price of a mars bar?

And another thing, when you go into a department store and you ask a regular shop assistant to give you a discount for no reason I mean it's not as if he or she working in his daddy's personal little shop. they're under contract to sell things at specific prices. Just pay the price thats on it and don't be so jewish i say:D

Wow, you managed to offend both Arab's and Jews there. Wanna say something about Christians or do they all pay full whack. Those damn Buddhists, with their Zen Currency!!!

BTW, More often than not, Managers have the Authority to give fairly decent discounts, but regular staff don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I'd rather save myself the hassle of haggling, buy it online as it circumnavigates the haggling and you'll more then likely get it cheaper then the post haggle price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The Sony Centre in Wexford town are great for haggling or getting extras.
    When my mam was getting her laptop she basically said "That the best price you can do?".
    They gave her a bit of a discount, to which she responded "Sounds good, and you'll throw in a mouse too I assume".

Got my laptop in there a while later, he gave me a free bag for it on the condition I get an extended warranty (which I would have anyway)

I'd rather save myself the hassle of haggling, buy it online as it circumnavigates the haggling and you'll more then likely get it cheaper then the post haggle price.

Amen
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    The Sony Centre in Wexford town are great for haggling or getting extras.

When my mam was getting her laptop she basically said "That the best price you can do?".
    They gave her a bit of a discount, to which she responded "Sounds good, and you'll throw in a mouse too I assume".
    Got my laptop in there a while later, he gave me a free bag for it on the condition I get an extended warranty (which I would have anyway)

I wish my mother was like that! A) She doesnt know what a mouse is, (bar the 4 legged variety) B) Shes old skool and thinks haggling isnt a respectable pursuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, you managed to offend both Arab's and Jews there. Wanna say something about Christians or do they all pay full whack. Those damn Buddhists, with their Zen Currency!!!

BTW, More often than not, Managers have the Authority to give fairly decent discounts, but regular staff don't.

He did ( I doubt it was intentional), but it was seriously funny too because I could almost 'hear him tell me that story.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

1 I use is I go to the cashier and ask why is this item half price, most times they are to lazy to check it and say, I dont know

but if they do check its no problem I just say ooooooo ok sry,

this work mostly in big stores where there is many sales on different items,

a bit of Darren Brown.

you would be surprised how many things it works with, in Harvey Normans I got an American style fridge with all the bits for €385,

in my favor alot of stuff was on sale der plus few choice words (thanks Darren)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I normally ask "is that the best you can do" in the mechanics, but not much elsewhere... Got new windows put in, a stairs and some other bits, haggled like a mo fo there.. got lots off the price :)

Fintonie that's more or less like theft... not haggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Got €45 off a bed this week. :D

I know it's the oldest profession in the world, but that's a bit cheap isn't it.....:)

I normally ask "is that the best you can do" in the mechanics, but not much elsewhere... Got new windows put in, a stairs and some other bits, haggled like a mo fo there.. got lots off the price :)

Fintonie that's more or less like theft... not haggling.

I have a receipt when leaving they have my money I dont see the problem,

if staff are lazy I just reap the rewards no bells sound when I leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I know it's the oldest profession in the world, but that's a bit cheap isn't it.....:)

I charge by the inch:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

Got a 60 watt bass amp worth 300 euro for a grand total of 75 euro a while back :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Auctioner: Our first item is a pair of panties confiscated from a prostitute.
    Quagmire: Fifty bucks.
    Auctioner: She had nine STDs.
    Quagmire: Forty-five bucks.
    Auctioner: And when we caught her she wet herself.
    Quagmire: Fifty bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I know someone who ordered in a chipper and then haggled the price when the food was handed to him.. got it half off :eek: That's a bit tight, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Like whats the point in saving yourself the price of a mars bar?

So that you can get a mars bar too.

I'll bet he did. Extended warranty = being bent over.
    fintonie wrote: »
    1 I use is I go to the cashier and ask why is this item half price, most times they are to lazy to check it and say, I dont know

but if they do check its no problem I just say ooooooo ok sry,

this work mostly in big stores where there is many sales on different items,

a bit of Darren Brown.

you would be surprised how many things it works with, in Harvey Normans I got an American style fridge with all the bits for €385,

in my favor alot of stuff was on sale der plus few choice words (thanks Darren)

Derren.
    Quackles wrote: »
    I know someone who ordered in a chipper and then haggled the price when the food was handed to him.. got it half off :eek: That's a bit tight, though...

I really doubt that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Chopped 80 euro off a guitar and then i was pushing it...

"Do you get a decent bag with that? What about these picks? Is there a tuner with that?"

Got all i wanted, Just keep chancing it, They are more than happy to sell in this current climate.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'll bet he did. Extended warranty = being bent over.
    Didn't say it wasn't a rip off, but I'll be glad of it if the laptop breaks in that period, and every shop is the same in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Didn't say it wasn't a rip off, but I'll be glad of it if the laptop breaks in that period, and every shop is the same in that regard.

True, I think it'd be possible to get it covered elsewhere for significantly less though.
    Maybe it's too much hassle if you don't have your own home insurance, dunno about the other options.

Still, how much was the laptop vs the cover? And if it breaks in 2 years time, do you get the same one or an current model?

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Still, how much was the laptop vs the cover? And if it breaks in 2 years time, do you get the same one or an current model?
    Laptop was about 600, no idea what the warranty/cover costed though (it wasn't me paying for it).

I'd assume i get the same one if it breaks in 2 years, but if they're no longer making this model then surely they'd have to give me a newer one sicne they can't exactly tell me to F.O.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

If this is the case it's time for employers to start haggling wages for employees each week so, fair is fair. Retail is on it's knees as it is besides helping them over the edge by haggling for the bit of business that's left. Just my view as someone who used to have a business in Ireland.:(

junkyard wrote: »
    If this is the case it's time for employers to start haggling wages for employees each week so, fair is fair. Retail is on it's knees as it is besides helping them over the edge by haggling for the bit of business that's left. Just my view as someone who used to have a business in Ireland.:(

Im not even bothering touching this... Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Haggling when buying a good that cost €50 by all means. But in my job, people who haggle over something that costs a tenner drive me insane! Cheap cheap f*****s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i try to....but not in cetain shops...mainly old family run shops....because they are able toknock th price down without having to consult a supervisor etc....

btw slightly off topic......used to hate the harvey norman ad...can you haggle yes you can....

obviously they just set a price of 700 put on the sticker 800....and you were able to haggle a 100 off

• Advertisement

Harvey Norman are a joke. Avoid at all costs.

I had a laughable sales pitch run on me about 6 months ago for a furniture suite set where I was basically told I was bidding against another customer for the last ("heavily discounted") display model in their Carrickmines store.

It boiled down to me "winning", surprise surprise. I was subsequently turned down for financing for the equivalent of one months salary, thank God.

Low and behold Im up there the other day browsing their technology department and the suite is still sitting there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Some day, when you fly the coop, you will maybe understand the value of money. Hopefully you fill understand before you become a banker, developer or politician.
    fintonie wrote: »
    I have a receipt when leaving they have my money I dont see the problem,

if staff are lazy I just reap the rewards no bells sound when I leave

By your logic, it's ok to steal if the security staff are lazy...

What you do, the fact that you knowingly do it, is just another form of theft. You are taking from the shop by tricking the seller into thinking it is worth less than it is supposed to be sold at. Asking for 50% off, and getting it, is a completely differant thing... what you do isn't haggeling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I haggle everytime I go out in town and take advantage of the excess taxi drivers in the city. My route costs 60euro according to the meter but I sy to them before I get in that I'm only willing to pay 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I'm trying to flog a bike at the moment.
    Bought it for E315 last year. Cheekily looking for E300 for it. O.N.O. obviously. But to try & make the sale (at WHATEVER the nearest offer is as I'm still focken waiting for one!), I'm throwing-in a free sturdy, still in packet bike lock AND a set of unopened bike lights.
    If you want to sell, you've got to be prepared to make the offer attractive.
    Trying to flog a DvD-Recorder too. Bought in May 2008, I never got around to using it. Still sealed in box. Cost me E469 iirc. Am selling it for E470 (again, as above O.N.O.) BUT I'm throwing in The Snapper. And maybe Shameless Series One Discs 2 & 3 cos 1 is gone missing!
    This is not a plug btw.

I stayed in D4-Hotel there back in May iirc for E47. It was a Sunday Night too. Does that count as a bargain as i told Reception that it made no odds to me whether I stayed there or went back out to Days' Hotel in Parkwest for E48.

Spectacular misunderstanding of how payments work. Retailers get charged a % on all credit card transactions. Paying in cash negates this. Hope this helps.
    Arab ****ers were always the worst. they'd be all like 'My friend, my friend, you give to me for half price, yes? And I'd just be thinking to myself 'Save your haggling for the streets or tangiers you cheapskate **** :p
    ...Just pay the price thats on it and don't be so jewish i say:D

Um, kudos on the ignorance/racism there too. It would be easier to take your opinion seriously if you weren't so blatantly sheltered/ignorant as to other cultures and practices.
    I'm trying to flog a bike at the moment.
    Bought it for E315 last year. Cheekily looking for E300 for it. O.N.O. obviously. But to try & make the sale (at WHATEVER the nearest offer is as I'm still focken waiting for one!), I'm throwing-in a free sturdy, still in packet bike lock AND a set of unopened bike lights.
    If you want to sell, you've got to be prepared to make the offer attractive.
    Trying to flog a DvD-Recorder too. Bought in May 2008, I never got around to using it. Still sealed in box. Cost me E469 iirc. Am selling it for E470 (again, as above O.N.O.) BUT I'm throwing in The Snapper. And maybe Shameless Series One Discs 2 & 3 cos 1 is gone missing!
    This is not a plug btw.

www.Adverts.ie ->

tbh.
    I stayed in D4-Hotel there back in May iirc for E47. It was a Sunday Night too. Does that count as a bargain as i told Reception that it made no odds to me whether I stayed there or went back out to Days' Hotel in Parkwest for E48.

They were doing nights for €20 around that time. I would expect to find a similar thread boasting about how they charged you €47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Can anyone who is a haggler while buying there shopping please phek off annoying me while I am doing the Reduced to clear.

The computer tells me what to reduce, It is impossible for me to just knock a Euro off it. If

1. The price is lower than a euro

2. Its not on the computer

3. If your waving it around in my face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah the Eddie Hobbs recession discount!

Last big savings I had was buying three ipods last Christmas. Now Apple set the price so it's more or less the same price everywhere.

That's a pretty big sale to a shop so I didn't money off but I got 60 euro in itunes vouchers which is a great as a gift. Was as good as cash to me.

When moving house the "man with a van" is always good for a haggle, quoted me 100 euro for a one hours work. But I was doing half the lifting so knocked it down to 60 euro.
    There are loads of people advertising this service now, many are probably looking for some side income. So be sure to haggle hard.

I'm not a great haggler I rarely do it, though.
    I reckon the farmers are the best hagglers, having seen marathon sessions lasting hours over the price of farm machinery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I always haggle and when I am finished haggleing i then look shocked when they try charge for delivery! I usually say something like "Ah i will wait till your dropping something else up my way" my wife goes shopping with me then leaves before I go up to pay.

There is nothing wrong with it and infact if the shop owner respects you he will appreciate the experience in negoating his staff is learning!

I always thought it would be great to go into a chemist go up to the young 21 year old female assistant and haggle over the price of a box of condoms. Then turn around and say "Can i try one on before i buy them" The look on her face would be priceless.

I have never done it though.

The best haggle i ever got was from a lovely man who was also a traveller in the local market. I am of the conclusion that if you ever want to truly learn the art of haggleing listen to the travellers in your local market. They always have a retort to knock down any haggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

By your logic, it's ok to steal if the security staff are lazy...

What you do, the fact that you knowingly do it, is just another form of theft. You are taking from the shop by tricking the seller into thinking it is worth less than it is supposed to be sold at.

Isnt that the opposite of what the shop does.
    With the salesman telling you lies and that he cant go any lower because this item cost x amount. Only do drop it anyway when you dont give in, without ever telling you the real cost. v:)

gdael wrote: »
    Isnt that the opposite of what the shop does.
    With the salesman telling you lies and that he cant go any lower because this item cost x amount. Only do drop it anyway when you dont give in, without ever telling you the real cost. v:)

yeh so der ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement