Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown Tie?

• 01-12-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm having the mother of all disputes with a certain individual regarding the compatability of a cream shirt and brown tie with a charcoal suit.
    Any opinions given the image below? Personally I think it looks absolutely fine, especially as both the shirt and tie are lightly textured for added interest. The shirt is very cream indeed, and not nearly as white as suggested by the image.

Why brown? I just like it, and it will be complimented by a brown overcoat with similar textured motif, probably just over my arm when indoors, and brown watch strap. It's for an interview with a media company, so they're open to less conventional looks, if this could even be described as such...

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I think it looks nice, others might disagree, but I think its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭SueL

hmmm... all 3 items are really nice, but I think the colours of the suit and the tie fight with each other. I don't know which one to look at when i look at the picture. A brown tie is very different I must say, but maybe it would go better with another colour of suit?
    Sorry, you did ask for opinions.. hope you don't mind mine! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Only wear a brown tie with a charcoal suit if you chew tobacco and drool a lot. Seriously.

GrahamH, just read your post again (feeling guilty about not liking your combo! :o ) The brown tie would look really good with your brown coat, so maybe try it with a brown suit?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hmm, brown usually goes with nothing.
    I get chocolate feeling when I hear brown tie and cream shirt.
    Media people usually dress black or such so I guess brown could be a nice change.
    Just don't wear brown shoes. Ewww.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Jaysus no - I'm not that crazy! :)
    Yeah brown would definitely limit itself to the lapel area!

It's a bit of an odd choice admittedly, and thanks for the all the opinions positive and frank - just I think brown is generally overlooked, or treated unfairly. Agreed about the certain lack of focus offered by the colour, which is the main purpose of a tie, but my main concern naturally is the matching with the suit which I think works quite well. It certainly doesn't clash with it at least...

I hope it's okay - looks great with the coat anyway, no question. Perhaps entering wearing that will put the rest in context.

I still think wear the brown tie with another colour to the charcoal grey - how about with a black suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

I agree entirely Sue - alas I don't quite have a batch of €500 suits in a variety of shades, as much as I'd like them!
    Yes dark brown will be my next suit purchase, and/or black, but until then I think I'll go with the brown tie this time round. Anyway, it's *cough* rust, not brown :p
    My justification anyway.

Thanks for the help ;)

To hell with 500 euro suits my friend, head over to Next, they do cool suits for fantastic prices ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I wear a lot of brown clothes myself - usually mix with browns, greens, cream, reds etc depending on the shade. That tie may look better with a sandy/golden coloured suit and a cream tie- it looks allright in that photo - just a bit dull. The grey is a cold colour - brown and cream are warm so it doesnt really mix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If its good enough for Michael Caine its good enough for you, and anyone else for that matter. Match with a set of tortoiseshell hornrim glasses and blow those media fools minds.

Advertisement