Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best putter

Options
  • 20-04-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey all. Hope ye're hitting them well!!
    Just wondering have any of you any advice on which putter to go for. Playing great golf at the moment but can't get it going on the greens. Looking for something maybe a bit heavier. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

The Putter is the most personal club in the bag. Try a few out in a golf shop and see what suits you...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

Benny Cake wrote: »
    The Putter is the most personal club in the bag. Try a few out in a golf shop and see what suits you...

I've done this!! But of course when I go in I think they're all perfect!! Starting to think it could be me!! 😀 does custom fitting make much difference??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Taylormade Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

There was a place out clondalkin way (or so) that did custom fitting on putters. Someone else may remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jimdagym wrote: »
    There was a place out clondalkin way (or so) that did custom fitting on putters. Someone else may remember the name.

Golf lab I think it was?

You could look at some of the odyssey putters as they come with changeable weights that go in the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best putter? One that works!

sorry for the smart alec answer, but its true :) though friends of mine have seen a lot of success with those putters with big arses on them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rikand wrote: »
    Best putter? One that works!

sorry for the smart alec answer, but its true :) though friends of mine have seen a lot of success with those putters with big arses on them :)
    It's true though, it must be the most personal club in the bag.

Fundamentally speaking there are marginal differences from driver through to wedges, but you see a massive difference in the shapes, lengths, styles of putters, it is next to impossible to say what'll work for you.

When I went to golf lab I was using a Scottie Cameron, u wasn't there for a putter fitting but based on the way I was putting at the time they pointed me towards a different style of putter. I switched to the odyssey centre weighted one & it's worked pretty well for me since then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Does it matter what putter you use if you have a bad stroke.
    Surely it's a waste of time spending huge money on a putter if you still regularly pull or push putts by not having a good stroke.

Id be more inclined to practice with putting aids getting the stroke consistent than forking out for Scotty Cameron's and the likes.

I've seen lads who are fantastic putters using clubs that I can't imagine putting with. Just yesterday I played with a 60+ yr old who was off 6 still and just banged the ball into the hole from everywhere. His stroke was so fluid, pace of putts perfect and always gave them a good chance. He was using an absolute piece of crap putter that looked like it was 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Try to find a decent second hand one like Furyk...

Helped win him 11 million

http://m.espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=5625279&src=desktop

I bought a taylormade spider last year and it destroyed my putting. I had started out with a lovely simple old school putter before that.
    So after I developed arachnophobia I picked up a second hand ping a month or so ago for pittance and that's older than myself.

Since then, I've podiumed at a boards outing and picked up 2 cuts since.... I'm still waiting on ESPN to call up for the interview ;):)

It's impossible to say what is the best putter for you, taking a leaf out of Dr Bobs/Gary Players book... I suppose the best one is the one you like the most.
    And when you decide you like one, love it, propose and marry it.

Most marriages will have a rocky patch but always remember that divorce costs a fortune and while you might find it exciting being offered good head from a newer model or fancy a lassie with a bit of extra cushion to hold onto... I think I'll always stick to the girl next door.
    Marriages need work, both parties can be at fault but it's usually the man doing something wrong that is the real problem!!!

While I'm still getting away with people thinking I'm talking about a putter, I'll stop now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Instead of buying new putter you could try this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnnygman

Im using a Scotty Newport, at least 8 years old, playing off 9 at moment.

Fell badly out of love with it last year and bought a Odyssey Back-Stryke as was in bits with short game, really not a good looking putter but I have to say it works, its helped my stroke and confidence so much and puts a great roll on it. Would recommend to anyone that's struggles to get a good roll on the ball.

I then actually returned to Scotty as as it felt a little out of place in my set, I put a fat grip on it earlier this year and putting been very solid in general but not spectacular, needs practice more than anything.
    Retained the odyssey though in case I get the horrors again on the short stuff and need to pull out the franknputter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

simpson80 wrote: »
    Hey all. Hope ye're hitting them well!!
    Just wondering have any of you any advice on which putter to go for. Playing great golf at the moment but can't get it going on the greens. Looking for something maybe a bit heavier. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Like others have said, nobody can tell you what putter suits you.

One thing that's worth trying is fitting a few new grips to your existing putter (or new one). They can totally change the feel of your putter. If you want your putter to feel heavier, go for a lighter grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

It is the one club that if you look at the pros no 2 of them will be playing the exact same 1 even is its the same model they will have different grips.
    If you are a decent putter then it's just preference. McGuirke and Halpenny have a fitting putting mirror that will give you a idea if you should have a Face balanced or Toe balanced putter. Basically if your eyes are directly over the ball then it should be face balanced to a couple of inches inside it should be toe balanced. Eyes should never be outside the ball. Your stroke will generally be straight back and thru if you are over the ball and should arc slightly if you are inside the ball.
    No harm having a couple as it's the one club where you can change and get immediate improvments even if they are just for a couple of weeks.
    I have to admit i'm a big fan of the 2ball i have ended up with 3 with different grips, they are cheap second hand(:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Such a personal club and even the pro's often have the same one for 20 years despite whatever technological advances there have been since. And you often hear of pro's using a putter they just borrowed from a friend or that they liked the look of in a pro shop or whatever, i.e. they often use one that might not be fitted to them in any way apart from that they like something about it, where as none of them would do that when it comes to choosing any other club in the bag.

I use a fairly traditional odyssey putter. I'm well over 6 feet but I use a 33 inch because I like the feeling of being right over the ball and I also like a putter that has a heavy head as I find it's easier get it straight back and through. Those are completely just personal preferences though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

didn't Furyk win a big event possible the fed ex cup with a putter he bought second hand for $30 a couple of weeks previous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

redzerdrog wrote: »
    didn't Furyk win a big event possible the fed ex cup with a putter he bought second hand for $30 a couple of weeks previous

He did.

And last year I remember him saying that he went into a golf shop to buy an over the counter putter. Out of about 80 good quality brand putters that were in the shop, he said about 3 of them had a correctly alligned grip. All the others were pointing in the wrong direction! Check your grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Somebody on the us tour took their mothers putter and won either last season or this, one of the younger lads iirc,

Google tells me it was DA Points, and the putter in question was an old Ping Anser.

Ping do make good putters and Drivers, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am looking at changing my putter aswell shortly, I am under no illusions that my stroke is shocking but when the feel of the putter feels bad along with a terrible stroke does not make for good putting.

I am currently using a Taylermade Rossa that have had for a few years but it feels like I am hitting the ball with a sledge hammer at times just to get in rolling. I am looking for something with a crisper feel that gets the ball rolling quickly off the face, anyone any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I am looking at changing my putter aswell shortly, I am under no illusions that my stroke is shocking but when the feel of the putter feels bad along with a terrible stroke does not make for good putting.

I am currently using a Taylermade Rossa that have had for a few years but it feels like I am hitting the ball with a sledge hammer at times just to get in rolling. I am looking for something with a crisper feel that gets the ball rolling quickly off the face, anyone any recommendations?

I use a Ping Anser II. Really like the feedback I get off it. Ball comes off the face at a good pace and I never feel like I have to smash the ball to get it going.
    If only I could get a consistent stroke I'd be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

What about the greens you're putting on. I played the smurfit course in the k club last week, greens were terrible, grass very long on them, I really had to hit the ball hard to get it to the hole. A guy I was playing with, played Lucan the previous day where the greens are like glass, you only need to tip the ball to get it rolling.

I play in castleknock once a fortnight at least and the greens are also quick, so I'm used to not needing to hit the ball a serious belt to get it to the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

Oh believe me I've tried blaming the greens!! Can't get away with that for too long!! Trying out my mates odyssey 2ball at the weekend will hopefully improve the disaster on the greens. It's definatly my stroke it's terrible and confidence is very low anywhere on the greens!!
    Cheers for all the replies hope ye're making the most of the good weather!

Advertisement