Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Forest Sold?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

borntobike wrote: »
    The green fee market is dead in the water due to open singles.
    More people will start to join clubs of convenience like Blessington Lakes for 200 euro and then play opens.
    A fair point but it's very hard to get any sort of open singles from Oct to April on a weekend, that's generally reserved for member competitions and societies/green fees so it's one serious disadvantage of distance membership if looking to play year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Although I readily acknowledge a combination of members and visitors are required in any club it is only fair that most weekends are more geared towards members as they are the ones ultimately keeping the club open not the once or twice a year visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Although I readily acknowledge a combination of members and visitors are required in any club it is only fair that most weekends are more geared towards members as they are the ones ultimately keeping the club open not the once or twice a year visitors.

I've been a member in Ireland then the UK and now back in Ireland. I've always joined a club rather than doing the whole distance thing and getting green fees here and there. I don't mind paying more to be a member of a club than the green fee route as I like my evening few holes which are a pain when your not a member. I will always shy away from a club that offers regular opens on weekends. However that said I'm not against a regular midweek open on a Tuesday or a couple of odd ones in the month on weekdays if not on a set day.

I want to play AM on either Saturday or Sunday of every weekend, which I see as my entitlement as a member of the club. So I would be royally pissed off, given its already hard enough to get an AM time in my club, if they started to offer weekend open events. To be honest they aren't going to start, everyone would kick off but if they did and I couldn't play the course when it's most convenient to me I'd take my €1,500 sub elsewhere and I wouldn't be alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭golferAC

Played here today was in great nick greens were very good poor distance markers on the course which is where i struggled never played it either and should have taken 3 wood of the 12th hit the bunker on 4 pitched out but found the hazard excellent course but i could have done with a bushnell out their today!
    i will be back again and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

There's a driving range being built and the apartments will finally be ready soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played there on Monday for first time. Thought it was really nice course with plenty of variation on the holes. Greens were in superb nick if a little slow.
    7th par 3 is a superb hole visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Played there on Monday for first time. Thought it was really nice course with plenty of variation on the holes. Greens were in superb nick if a little slow.

I guess you mean the 9th walled garden hole. It was a nice idea to put it in there. It would look better with a few more flower beds across the middle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Brain-fart! I played Forrest Little on Monday and was referring to it's condition and 7th hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Played there today, 1st time also. Yes, top course alright, couldn't really fault any part of it, greens now up to speed. Decent value €35 inc breakfast so will certainly be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Really looking forward to getting back down there to play over the next few weeks. I love the place and the course. I havent been there since it was sold but from what you guys are saying it's still as good as it always was. It's great that even when in Nama'fied the course still was always in super condition.

I know a few guys who joined there recently and if it had been geographically possible I'd have joined myself. Some people complain about parts of the course but I've never really had any complaint. In the main people seem to complain about the 12th hole. Its a tough hole mainly because of the risk with the tee shot. Give up distance for safety but that then results in a very tough second. Maybe it's the hill to the next tee box that prejudices people :-)

I never played it when the 17th had the water on the fairway. That must have been a hell of a tee shot then.

And I think the 18th is a great finish.

Yep, I guess you could say I am fond of the course :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement