Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you take Environmentalists more seriously if they dressed better??

Options
  • 22-12-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭

i've no idea how to put sound to a youtube clip, but i hope this link works.

http://www.theonion.com/content/radio_news/marijuana_legalized_2_days

hopefully you get the idea from this.

I mean, if the environmentalists washed a bit more often, shaved, didn't wear those big wooly coats that stink after a shower of rain, stopped living in tents and calling their kids names like uisce, i think they'd have more of a chance of being successful. At the moment, most people would just roll their eyes and complain about the tree protesters again, instead of listening to what they're talking about.

The Green Party have lost all their credibility at this stage so there's a big gap there waiting to be filled. I don't think the tree huggers will have much hope if they don't wash though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

you do realise the Onion is a satire site, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

of course i do, i'm just using the clip to illustrate the point in a humorous way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the reason I trust and believe all our "traditional" politicians , such as Brian Cowen and Bertie Aherne , is their traditional attire - never trust a man or woman without a suit or at the very least a tie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The tree-huggers must have all chipped in and bought Gormley a bar of soap (and a shaver and a suit), unless Smelly Gormley isn't his real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I wouldn't ride one, if thats what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Of course, as well as the 'legalise it' brigade... So would many others.

Preferrably dressed in black though, then we will be truly susceptible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No they're still sh*tebags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I dunno. A good dress sense is nice and all but it wouldn't change my views on someone.

For example look at Mussolini. He cut a fine dashing figure in uniform and granted he did make the trains run on time but still y'know he was a bit of a pr*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I dunno. A good dress sense is nice and all but it wouldn't change my views on someone.

For example look at Mussolini. He cut a fine dashing figure in uniform and granted he did make the trains run on time but still y'know he was a bit of a pr*ck.

what if you had to choose between a scruffy **** and a neat one ? There is a lot to be said for neatness. It reflects the cleanliness of the mind and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Morlar wrote: »
    what if you had to choose between a scruffy **** and a neat one ?.

Are we talking female grooming now? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'd take them more seriously if they ever delivered on this global warming they've been promising us for years....

bastards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

orourkeda wrote: »
    No they're still sh*tebags

Na, thats just the current Green party leaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Morlar wrote: »
    There is a lot to be said for neatness. It reflects the cleanliness of the mind and all that.
    Aye, I always knew that Einstein lad was a bit of a thick from the cut of his hair.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Aye, I always knew that Einstein lad was a bit of a thick from the cut of his hair.

No one said having a dirty mind & outlook makes you stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Pace2008 wrote: »

There is an old saying about mathematicians and theoretical physicists. The great ones do what they want, dress obscurely, and refuse to conform to social norms. They do this because their work speaks for itself. The rest, they must toe the line.

An opposing claim, is that a lot of eccentricity is a front. Professors are nutty, merely because they are expected to be nutty.

Anyway, I digress, no I have no, and would have no respect for upper middle class greenies who have never done a days work in their lives, even if they wore f*cking armani.

If your talking about envomentalists in relation to the Green party - well they are in suits and they are a joke!

The ones at local level are trying their best I feel to do something close to home - perhaps in your own area - and they are most likely doing it for free for their efforts.

Clothing does not make the person - their character and actions does.
    Characters, the bad ones can still get dressed up in suits like wolves in sheeps clothing - so I don't knock the eviromentalists for what they wear.
    Its a fools folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Each to their own, I've never encountered an environmentalist who was very badly dressed (don't think there's a specific uniform), I take them seriously is they present a good argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Perhaps if they showered every now and again...

But think of all the electricity they are saving !!

I'd still rather prefer a local dirty honest one than a double-crossing one dressed in a suit, sitting in the Dail though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement