Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call for a shorter year!!!

• 22-12-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I know that we finally came to our 365 1/4 day long year for a reason of sorts, but let's just suppose that we could sort out all those crazy seasons and continuity issues and change the length of a year to about 150 days. Would that not be better?
    Imagine... I always find it hard to believe in December that it's been less than a year since I did things in January. We say that a year has flown by without really appreciating what we have done in it. I reckon if the year was shorter, we'd find it easier to compartmentalise what we've been doing with ourselves!
    Plus, we'd get to have a potential lifespan of over 200! How funky would that be! I know we'd still only be alive for the same amount of time, but wouldn't it feel longer!?!
    And, we'd have more birthdays and Christmasses and special events and more bank holidays!!!!
    In fact, I'm converted - happy 142nd of New and Improved Year-mas!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It'd only give Fianna Failure an excuse to give us more than one up-the-ass budget within 365 days.......oh!.......carry on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Ok. Good for you.

I like Christmas on a whole but I am glad it only comes once a year.
    Makes it more special. Plus, I dont want to be 200.

That is all

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd be more in favour of having 29 hour days. Not just stretching the current 24 into 29, but physically changing the way the earth rotates, etc to make 29 x 60min hours per day as I reckon that this would suit my body clocks natural inclinations much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We dont have any choice in the matter.

Unless I'm Mistaken there is an international standard definition of the second and all other units of time and they cannot be altered just for the sake of it.

I believe the second's definition is based on vibrations of the caesium atom.

The month I believe is something to do with the moons orbit of the earth and in turn the year is how long it take for the earth to orbit the sun.

Not particularly scientific explantions but you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Great. Now if we could just find a way to slow the earth's orbit, we'd be set.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Great. Now if we could just find a way to slow the earth's orbit, we'd be set.:rolleyes:

That's a simple matter of physics.
    In the same way a ballet dancer spins faster by tucking their arms in, and slows down by spreading their arms out... we would need to build to large arms out from the earth into space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Actually, to make a shorter year we'd have to speed up the orbit of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Actually, to make a shorter year we'd have to speed up the orbit of the earth.

If we all jump at the same time then surely the earth will get lighter and speed up. This momentum could then be maintained by frequent global jumps or gumps as they will become known.

Et voila - shorter years!

It's simple physics really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Surely a bit of unobtainium can solve this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Check out the Symmetry454 calendar.

Every month starts on Monday.
    Christmas Day is always on Thursday, Paddy's day always on Wednesday.
    No more wondering "What day of the week was I born on?"

I would combine it with the introduction of the Holocene dating system - Happy 12010 everyone !

Advertisement