Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better a good funeral than a bad wedding

Options
  • 22-12-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭

I think this is a pretty unique thing that we have. After speaking to brits and yanks who have been to an irish wake and funeral they can't get over.

Firstly cos its bizarre to walk into a room of a house with a corpse there. Its even more bizarre when they hear that sometimes you stay up all night with the body 'so as not to leave the poor aul divil all alone'

And then the big meal and pissup and craic the day after. Which is where the saying comes from, you can go to some sh1t weddings where you dont even feel comfortable enough to wrap your tie around your head! :eek:
    But I've been to funerals which have ended up being four day benders, a fitting tribute to most of the departed who in all Irishness would likely say 'Cheer up to fcuk and have a few pints will ye!'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Yep, better to be dead than have to deal with an ex-wife tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' good. Another cheerful thread for the time of year that it is. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I dont mind weddings. I just never plan on having one of my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yeah but some people get greedy and want both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Irish funerals are brilliant. Love seeing yank funerals on the telly. About 25 people in sunglasses at the graveyard! Here even the most horrible of nasty old pricks will have a few hundred mourners. I remember being outside a wake one night with the old fella and six or seven of my uncles having a smoke and trying to think of something nice to say bout a bachelor farmer neighbour. One uncle comes out with a beauty "He was a miserable gob****e alright........ but I spose his brother was worse"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

'Cheer up to fcuk and have a few pints will ye!'

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I hate to say it but I've always had a better time at a (old person) funeral than most weddings.
    A good wake is hard to beat, plan your wedding all you want but if old-man-down-the-road dies then there is a fair chance i'll have a better time at that !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have to say that I have had more fun at a funeral than at any wedding I have attended.
    Ratio: I funeral which was side splitting funny.
    Countless weddings where rows broke out and guests felt uncomfortable.

Give me a wake over a Wedding anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

funny thing happened.....

i said to a mate "did you go drinking on the weekend....

to which he replied "yeah i went to ________"

i said " sure they probly wouldnt let you in if they didnt know you...and there is never anyone in it....

he said "no it was good craic"

me"yeah right"

him "it was im telling ya,... there was a funerel on earlier and the place was crammers...it was a great night"

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

sure this is it, people get weddings forced upon them, (seems to be as soon as you stop getting 21st invitations that the wedding invites roles in) but people like to go to funerals cos you arent obliged to get pissed and talk to ****, it usually happens anyway but fcuk it, at least there's a common issue to talk about

And to go slightly off topic, it's pretty easy to get laid at a funeral ( a la wedding crashers) but have never done it though could've, and haven't seen anyone do it.

So, would it be really wrong to pull at a funeral???

• Advertisement

Of corpse not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

sure this is it, people get weddings forced upon them, (seems to be as soon as you stop getting 21st invitations that the wedding invites roles in) but people like to go to funerals cos you arent obliged to get pissed and talk to ****, it usually happens anyway but fcuk it, at least there's a common issue to talk about

And to go slightly off topic, it's pretty easy to get laid at a funeral ( a la wedding crashers) but have never done it though could've, and haven't seen anyone do it.

Think there was a bloke with a thread here last year that rode his aunt at a funeral, I also could be dreaming that,:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Atwork wrote: »
    Think there was a bloke with a thread here last year that rode his aunt at a funeral, I also could be dreaming that,:confused:

sweet jesus if it weren't fot the net that wouldn't leave his circle of friends. SICK

He could have.
    Aunts go to funerals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

also ,do ya not think he was taking the piss?tis AH after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

pretty unique

Impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the hell is a good wedding? They're all the same - at least at a funeral there's someone dying to be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

What the hell is a good wedding? They're all the same - at least at a funeral there's someone dying to be there.
    Give yourself a good slap on behalf of After Hours please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the reason why people are so happy at funerals is your dont have to give any present to the dead guy.
    Where as weddings you spend a fortune for a present that isnt actually appreciated and sit there for the night resenting that..

Dead people dont like presents.. but they usually have a surplus of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The thing is that once you've planted the faithful departed a funeral becomes about celebrating the fact that everyone else is still alive..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

anplaya wrote: »
    also ,do ya not think he was taking the piss?tis AH after all.

Absolutely not, I think what most people have to say in AH is closer to the truth than you think. They are testing the waters and if it backfires, sure I was only joking, tis AH after all.;)

Advertisement