Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spf - moisturizer - what do you use?

• 17-04-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭

so do you use them together or separate?
    and i am i talking spf min 30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For sailing or outdoors activities I use La Roche Posay tinted Fluid Extreme - SPF 50. I think it's brilliant, love it.

For normal everyday stuff I use Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser which has an SPF 15. Probably should find something with more cover.

For days when I just want plain moisturiser, i use a Clarins one which has an SPF 25 (can't remember the exact name, let me know if you want it). Light and lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My day to day BB cream from Mac is SPF 35, I'd wear it over my usual SPF 15 moisturiser.

On holidays last year I used the non tinted version of the SPF 50 La Roche Posay. I found you really need to allow time for it to sink in, especially if using under make up, but I barely got a new freckle with it, let alone burn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I use ultrasun face SPF30.

I don't think the tinted moisturisers or foundations are really recommended because most people don't apply enough and if they did they would be wearing a hell of a lot of foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you see how much suncream is needed you realise there isnt enough in a foundation or BB cream. Also sun exposure breaks down the sun blocking power of the cream during the day. A sun cream has to be applied 30 mins before you go into the sun

A dermatologist will say a good sun cream is the best way to prevent the affects of aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I like la roche posay. I used the high spf Ambre Solaire sensitive 50+ last Summer and I'm going to give the Elave spf 45 a try soon. I've got very sensitive pale skin and heat aggravates it. My dad used to do a lot of driving and never bothered with sunscreen, until he got a cancerous growth on his cheek. He had it successully removed and he's fine now, but I just don't take risks anymore.

It doesn't matter how expensive or effective a moisturiser you wear unless you wear a decent spf, I'd never wear below spf 25 anymore. The sun does more damage than anything else, even in Winter.

• Advertisement

I've been using a Eucerin SPF 30, I have pretty sensitive skin and this suits me perfectly and it's cheap as chips! I've also just started using Kiehl's bb cream which is factor 50.

(Also bear in mind that your moisturiser will wear off like any other SPF so for full days protection it needs to be topped up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Storming

Elizabeth Arden does a really good factor 50 which I apply after moisturiser. If wearing foundation, I wait for a few minutes and apply then.
    Lady on a different makeup counter in Boots told me the No7 SPF is actually very good. I haven't tried it yet but intend to. The price is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

La roche posey SPF 50 in the tinted version and I know it's sufficient as I freckle immediately without factor even in winter so obviously have extremely photosensitive skin but when I apply this I could sit in direct sun for 10 hours without so much as a blush.
    My scalp is a problem though as i am blonde and always get my parting burnt unless I wear a hat. Anyone know a good SPF for hair and scalp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I like Estée Lauder spf 50 and this works in transit moisturiser with spf 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

How do you reapply spf every two hours as recommended if wearing makeup?

I have been reading up on spf lately and I always put it on after moisturise and before foundation, however in some of the tutorials online it advised to put it onto the skin first before any moisturisers or serums to allow it to react with the skin.

I am just wondering what are people's thoughts on this?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

molly09 wrote: »

I have been reading up on spf lately and I always put it on after moisturise and before foundation, however in some of the tutorials online it advised to put it onto the skin first before any moisturisers or serums to allow it to react with the skin.

M

I would love to know this too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies..

looked into clinique and like the sound of their city block sfp 40 - anyone used it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I use Eucerin SPF 50+ Mattifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

M

SPF is a barrier that blocks out UVA and UVB rays, so as long as that barrier is between your skin and the rays it won't matter. I prefer to put it on after moisturising because I want my moisturiser closer to my skin so that it can actually hydrate it. There is no added benefit to having SPF closer to the skin that I'm aware of.

SPF is a barrier that blocks out UVA and UVB rays, so as long as that barrier is between your skin and the rays it won't matter. I prefer to put it on after moisturising because I want my moisturiser closer to my skin so that it can actually hydrate it. There is no added benefit to having SPF closer to the skin that I'm aware of.

i think that the reason one needs to reapply it is because sweating can mean that you loose the factor as you would anything on your face…

hence the difference between sun screen - its usually water proof - as oppose to facial spf which are not apparently

sporina wrote: »
    i think that the reason one needs to reapply it is because sweating can mean that you loose the factor as you would anything on your face…

hence the difference between sun screen - its usually water proof - as oppose to facial spf which are not apparently

You have to reapply all sun screen/spf even if it's waterproof. It's effectiveness wears off the longer you are in the sun. The number will tell you how long that is, I don't know exact numbers and it probably depends on the intensity of the sun on the day but the higher the factor the longer you can leave between reapplications.

You are right about sweating tho, it will probably decrease that time if the sun screen is not waterproof.

You have to reapply all sun screen/spf even if it's waterproof. It's effectiveness wears off the longer you are in the sun. The number will tell you how long that is, I don't know exact numbers and it probably depends on the intensity of the sun on the day but the higher the factor the longer you can leave between reapplications.

Noooo!

The SPF level doesn't mean you can leave it longer! You are protected to a higher level, but not for a longer time!

Noooo!

The SPF level doesn't mean you can leave it longer! You are protected to a higher level, but not for a longer time!

I always understood the SPF number to be the factor of time you could stay "safely" in the sun...... so F8 meant 8 times longer than with none, F15 meant 15 times longer, etc etc etc.

So if you burn in 5 minutes in X sun, then with F8 you'd last 40 minutes before suffering the same level of burning.

Now, that information dates from about the late 70's, so may have been well-intentioned at the time, but wildly wrong.

But that's always been my understanding.

(Having said that, I slather the stuff on my face especially, like there's no tomorrow :D)

Noooo!

You are half right in that you can't convert SPF into hours in the sun before burning because we rarely know how long we would otherwise be able to spend in the sun without burning while not wearing any SPF.

SPF measures protection from the amount of solar exposure. If the sun exposure was identical all day long then you could convert it into hours in the sun before burning. Sun exposure is never identical all day long tho, it's highest at midday and cloud cover can effect UVA levels etc. But if you send two people with similar skin out into the sun at the same time with different levels of factor the person with lower factor will burn first. So a direct effect of this is that you can leave longer between reapplications with a higher SPF.
    The SPF can be measured by applying sunscreen to the skin of a volunteer and measuring how long it takes before sunburn occurs when exposed to an artificial sunlight source. In the US, such an in vivo test is required by the FDA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen#Sun_protection_factor_.28SPF.29_and_labeling_requirements

You are half right in that you can't convert SPF into hours in the sun before burning because we rarely know how long we would otherwise be able to spend in the sun without burning while not wearing any SPF.

SPF measures protection from the amount of solar exposure. If the sun exposure was identical all day long then you could convert it into hours in the sun before burning. Sun exposure is never identical all day long tho, it's highest at midday and cloud cover can effect UVA levels etc. But if you send two people with similar skin out into the sun at the same time with different levels of factor the person with lower factor will burn first. So a direct effect of this is that you can leave longer between reapplications with a higher SPF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen#Sun_protection_factor_.28SPF.29_and_labeling_requirements

which thread are those quotes from?

• Advertisement

which thread are those quotes from?

I only made one quote from the wiki page. The link should take you straight to the section I quoted from "Sun protection factor (SPF) and labeling requirements", in the 4th paragraph down it outlines how SPF is measured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these for the summer for ease of application - http://www.sephora.com/instant-mineral-powder-spf-45-P235908
    theres a few sites that deliver to Ireland although the packaging is not meant to be great or http://www.bareminerals.co.uk/SPF-30-Natural-Sunscreen/UKMasterSunscreen,default,pd.html

I'm currently using Piz Buin SPF 30 sensitive for face

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I am really into this brand
    http://www.coolasuncare.com/

I have their cucumber matte moisturiser for my face at the moment. I really is properly matte, to the point I mix it with some oil because my skin still has some wintery dry patches leftover.

I might go for one of their tinted ones next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I got the La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 30. After shelling out €18 for the tiny bottle I quickly discovered I HATED it !

It made me break out really badly but more annoyingly when applied it leaves that typical white spots/flakes all over your face as if your face has a serious case of facial dandruff/snow , which in turn made putting makeup over it a NIGHTMARE ! Left my foundation looking like caked central :pac:

It was good on the mattifying/non-greasy front though

Does anyone know any good facial sun cream for oily skin that doesn't leave that weird white flakey residue when applied ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dinkey

I use Elizabeth Ardens Prevage Triple defence SPF50. Its amazing! All but oil free and it's broad spectrum too. It brushes on which I love & isn't chalky or thick which can happen with other spfs.i use it as a primer too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 schuey2me

thanks for all the replies..

looked into clinique and like the sound of their city block sfp 40 - anyone used it?

Hi iv recently bought the clinique city block sfp 40.. i find it great its slightly tinted so can be worn on its own.. its matte so no shiny face... doesnt sting ur eyes and iv wore foundation over it and it goes on perfect no caking or balling, will be repurchasing when iv run out.. hope this helps

schuey2me wrote: »
    Hi iv recently bought the clinique city block sfp 40.. i find it great its slightly tinted so can be worn on its own.. its matte so no shiny face... doesnt sting ur eyes and iv wore foundation over it and it goes on perfect no caking or balling, will be repurchasing when iv run out.. hope this helps

thanks - got a tester and like it too - i know its more expensive than others but i find with clinique - you pay for what you get..
    their cc creams are just fab

thanks - got a tester and like it too - i know its more expensive than others but i find with clinique - you pay for what you get..
    their cc creams are just fab

Clinique have a new spf 45 dark spot corrector too. The city block unfortunately doesn't have the broad spectrum UVA rating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I have found that P20, applied once a day is the job. Only drawback, is that it stains white clothing.

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »
    Clinique have a new spf 45 dark spot corrector too. The city block unfortunately doesn't have the broad spectrum UVA rating

really? wow - why didn't the sales assistant tell me that - and i even told her that i had hyperpigmentation,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I don't think the p20 has a broad spectrum UVA rating either.

I don't think the p20 have broad spectrum UVA rating either.

By broad spectrum, do you mean UVA and UVB? (pardon my ignorance on that score!)

If so, then I think they plugged that gap a few years ago - they started off being one or t'other (can't remember which) and got panned for that after a while.

I used P20 last year when I was in Malta at sea for a week, and it was magic, once a day kept my very fair, very unexposed skin from burning - apart from the bit under my arm which I missed and which FRIED :eek:. So I'm back to being a big fan.

Not sure I'd plough it into my face every day though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was wondering what broad spectrum was too, and specifically asked at a Clinique counter today about city block. She said it was UVA/UVB blocker and on the display it said broad spectrum.

Malari wrote: »
    I was wondering what broad spectrum was too, and specifically asked at a Clinique counter today about city block. She said it was UVA/UVB blocker and on the display it said broad spectrum.

Look out for the uva circle on packaging if a sun cream has at least one third of its spf content of uva filters it will have this symbol. EU regulation came in last year for this I think. An assistant at Dublin airport told me that the city block didn't have the sufficient uva block and I also found this by doing a bit of googling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I use Olay total effects moisturiser with SPF 15 and I have to say it is the best moisturiser I've ever used, the fact that it has SPF is an added bonus.

• Advertisement

You are right about sweating tho, it will probably decrease that time if the sun screen is not waterproof.

@ tiddlypeeps - what spf do you use yourself?

@ tiddlypeeps - what spf do you use yourself?

In the winter and when it's not sunny I just make do with my moisturiser. I use Clinique super defence which has SPF 25 if I remember correctly. I think they have recently tweaked this to be SPF 15 tho so if that's true I won't be rebuying it. I should probably wear an extra layer of SPF on top of that everyday tho.

On sunny days I use Anthelios SPF 50 oil by La Roche Posay from head to toe. It's a bit oily for the face, so needs a good half hour to sink in before I put make up on if I need to. But it's usually so sweaty on sunny days that make up just melts off so I often don't bother with it anyway.

I'm on the look out for a less oily face one, but I burn really easily and the LRP one is really good so I'm very weary of trying anything new.

Advertisement