Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seperating

Options
  • 21-01-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    has anyone started separation where the other party & solicitor ignores letters? and after a year no further on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'd be having a serious word with my solicitor and tell him to do his effin job !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

hi,
    has anyone started separation where the other party & solicitor ignores letters? and after a year no further on?

No- but in those circumstances you threaten court and if still nothing go to court. It's usually that simple..

Edit - it should be pointed out that no-one is under any obligation to answer a solicitors letter. It's just a letter. A court summons is a different matter and is issued as it's name suggest by a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Exactly. If his solicitor was doing his job twould either be in court or there would be negotations by now. A year ?! nonsense. I separated in Jan (2012) and was legally separated within 2 months. As I said in a previous post no nonsense so thats probably the difference but a year ?!? get better counsel....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Heckler wrote: »
    Exactly. If his solicitor was doing his job twould either be in court or there would be negotations by now. A year ?! nonsense. I separated in Jan (2012) and was legally separated within 2 months. As I said in a previous post no nonsense so thats probably the difference but a year ?!? get better counsel....

Sometimes though the initial party with the solicitor doing the writing is having to pay privately while the other side is on free legal aid. In other words the one side can't afford court or wants to avoid it for other reasons and the other side is perfectly willing to take advantage of the reluctance and do sweet fa.

A background to this is that you cannot get legally separated in a district court - only in the circuit court. I was quoted 15k maybe more to go there. This means you avoid it like the plague and hope you can get sorted by agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

hi,

Did you send the letters yourself or did your solicitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Did you send the letters yourself or did your solicitor?

Solicitor sent them- really hoping not to end up in court- thanks for all replies

hi thanks for all the replies, yes all contact sent from my solicitor, really don't want to go to court, just want things sorted so we can both move on with ours lives.

Hi thanks for all the replies, all communications are between solicitors, we don't speak. Also would really like to avoid going to court but also expecting to end up in it as its been very difficult to get this far

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lollie3

My ex has just recieved his first letter this week and has 14 days to respond and has been advised in the letter if no response I will take further action - we have done mediation and it didnt work we are still living together and its a nightmare with two young children - i didnt want it to go to court but i have no choice -

• Registered Users Posts: 17 country gal

hi,

My husband not playing ball either, my legal aid solictor is just going to serve the papers on him and his solictor were seperated 2 and a half years and startednlastbfeb with solictor for seperation, good luck with yours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My husband not playing ball either, my legal aid solictor is just going to serve the papers on him and his solictor were seperated 2 and a half years and startednlastbfeb with solictor for seperation, good luck with yours

mod Please do not drag up old threads, start a new thread for yourself if you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement