Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ID required please - bone?

• 22-01-2015 7:46pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me ID what this is please?

DSC_0236.JPG

Its approx 2 inches in total length

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Looks like part of a crab claw. Where did you find it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

it was in a field in County Limerick, which made me wonder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Yeah it's a crab claw - is that field within touching distance of the sea? Was possibly carried (our coughed up) by a Gull!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

we are nowhere near the sea, although there have been a lot of gulls around lately due to the slurry spreading in the farm land. Interesting item though, never thought that's what it could be with it being so far inland!

Thanks for the help!! My little boy thought he'd found a dinosaur bone - lol!!

It could just be waste from a restaurant or someone's kitchen waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

It could just be waste from a restaurant or someone's kitchen waste.

Most likely, and then carried into the field by a bird scavenging from bins maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks to me like a claw from Nephrops Norvegicus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

angeldaisy wrote: »
    we are nowhere near the sea, although there have been a lot of gulls around lately due to the slurry spreading in the farm land. Interesting item though, never thought that's what it could be with it being so far inland!

Thanks for the help!! My little boy thought he'd found a dinosaur bone - lol!!
    As far as he's concerned, he did. Run with it!

endacl wrote: »
    As far as he's concerned, he did. Run with it!

Much better to tell him it's part of a crab claw. Get pictures of a crab and show him what part if the crab it is. Show him how it's hinged, what it's used for etc. That's how I learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Much better to tell him it's part of a crab claw. Get pictures of a crab and show him what part if the crab it is. Show him how it's hinged, what it's used for etc. That's how I learned.
    Fair enough. Split the difference? Crabosaurus?

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Fair enough. Split the difference? Crabosaurus?

Nope! Crab Claw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

https://www.vinsullivan.net/productimages/display/SS-image-2011-05-04-4dc1792bdc1db.jpg

And you don't need to be near Dublin either...:rolleyes:

GrumpyMe wrote: »

Side wall of those are too narrow. This was part of a crab claw. :rolleyes:

...This was part of a crab claw. :rolleyes:
    That IS the non pivioting portion of a Nephrops Norvegicus(as CJHaughey posted) claw, more commonly known as a Langoustine and an even more common name is a Dublin Bay Prawn.
    http://static3.depositphotos.com/1007583/227/i/950/depositphotos_2272004-Langoustine-Dublin-Bay-Prawn.jpg

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    That IS the non pivioting portion of a Nephrops Norvegicus(as CJHaughey posted) claw, more commonly known as a Langoustine and an even more common name is a Dublin Bay Prawn.
    http://static3.depositphotos.com/1007583/227/i/950/depositphotos_2272004-Langoustine-Dublin-Bay-Prawn.jpg

The piece in the OP photo is from a Crab though. It was not from a Norway Lobster, Dublin Bay Prawn, Langoustine or Scampi.

The piece in the OP photo is from a Crab though. It was not from a Norway Lobster, Dublin Bay Prawn, Langoustine or Scampi.

Looks like one of these(top one) to me... which IS from a Nephrops Norvegicus/Dublin Bay Prawn/Langoustine;)
    2je3436.jpg

Care to narrow down your assertion a little and say which sort of crab you think it may be from?

If you look at your prawn claw you'll notice the "teeth" of the claw are different. Towards the back of the langoustine there aremerged protrusions not unlike a molar tooth. Thus is not present in crabs. Also the broader section of a crab claw is much less concave than that of the prawn. The point of the joint on the crab is also narrower on the crab, as you photo shows.
    As to the exact species of crab - I'd really need it in hand to decide on that one and, as this specimen seems to have cone from food waste, it's origin may not be local.

I'm not going to be dragged into an argument with you over this. If you want it to be a langoustine then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'm not going to be dragged into an argument with you over this. If you want it to be a langoustine then so be it.

Stamps foot :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Stamps foot :rolleyes:

Mod note: Kat1170 - make another contribution like that, that adds nothing to the discussion and is designed simply to annoy, and you'll get a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

/

What about this one?

16297713837_d37a2b8513.jpg

• Advertisement

I know it can't be but it looks like the lower portion of a Stone Crab claw. Where did you get it? Florida? :D

I'll keep thinking!,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

its from a Cork beach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

claw from a brown crab and its upside down in the photo the top part of the pincher is missing..and the other one above it is a claw from a prawn . the pincher part can vary slightly from one individual to another as it does with crabs and lobsters . The colour of the prawn is due to long exposure to the sun , it would be darker after cooking

Mod note: Kat1170 - make another contribution like that, that adds nothing to the discussion and is designed simply to annoy, and you'll get a ban.

jesus its like being in school again in this forum.

jesus its like being in school again in this forum.

Mod Note: Banned for a month for backseat modding!

I've been a mod here for around two years, and this is the first time I've banned someone. We have a good balance in the nature and birdwatching forum, and we intend to keep it that way. Not that I need to explain myself, but Kat1170 made a post that made no positive contribution and was just designed to annoy. In other forums you'd get a ban for that, not a warning. Any problems with the moderation here, get in touch with the Mods or CMods.

Advertisement