Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year, new people, new gaff!

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

It's a new year (and a very happy 2015 to you all from us) and to make things more interesting for ourselves, we have some big news to share with you all...

In the beginning, there was Boards...

Then came Daft.ie with it's interest in expanding their business and they acquired 30ish percent of Boards and so Boards joined them in their office on Golden Lane. Then came the split between Boards and Adverts and as they created their own team and started off on their own. Then BoardsDeals started and they needed a space of their own, the place became crowded. At that stage we'd already taken over all of the 3rd floor (there used to be another company here) and we were eyeballing the 4th when TheJournal became a lot more than an idea.

Round about then, the idea of the Distilled Media brand/group came into being - shared resources for things like sales, design and of course our offices. That went very well for a while, but it also brought some limitations, so that idea's had its time and the individual companies in the group are once again operating as single entities rather than sharing resources. This means some good changes for us.

Up until the end of last year, we lived on the 4th floor of Latin Hall on Golden Lane along with TheJournal. When Seán arrived back in June, he asked about making our part of the floor separate and all ours so that we had our own corner and so we wouldn't be as disturbed by the active newsroom that is TheJournal's office (it is a bit noisy, but it's not like they are trying to be bad neighbours, it's the nature of their game). Given they're planning on significant expansion of numbers for 2015 (I believe they've announced something in the region of 35 new employees in the next 18 - 24 months), an idea was put forward that maybe we don't delay the inevitable and get a place of our own.

So, we've got one! We're in it right now and it's kinda like a new house that the builder assured you would be ready for the Christmas but clearly wasn't - there are desks being assembled in one corner, the kitchen needs a floor, the boardroom needs furniture, we haven't even got a proper supply of tea or coffee (although Niamh being an excellent person at all times has made sure to bring tea and milk with her for us this morning).

On top of the new digs, we also get 2 new "official" employees. You may have seen Chris posting on Site Dev and Feedback - he's been a part of the Distilled Sys Admin team for some time and in the last 12 months, he was our go-to guy when we needed someone to help with something on our servers, so he is now officially a Boards.ie employee and we're really happy about that. Furthermore, we have Matt who has been our main Sales guy on the group sales team for a while also join us as a full time official Boards.ie employee which means that he will be able to spend 100% of his time on us and us alone.

So there's the news! I will be posting pictures up of the office later on, when we tidy up a bit ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Best of luck in the new place,we having a home warming ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes indeed, the radiators have been switched on... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Holy ****balls you without an adequate (read: industrial sized) supply of tea.... Expecting imminent site bannings of everyone who posts :D

Don't be silly Mini, you wouldn't think I'd allow an amateur hour move like that and leave myself without tea? The kettle has been well broken in at this stage!

Here's a quick pic of how we're looking at the moment, still a fair bit of stuff to finish off (Chris is really busy as you can imagine).

333846.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi Dav,

Can I post the picture of the boards office in the Photoshop Picture Suggestion Thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043742

Could be a laugh to see what people come up with!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Great news!

Best of luck with the new digs haha! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Any ex-employee lunch time visitation rights in the new place? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice to see the uncomfortable red couch still survives :pac:

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We brought both of them :o
    Depends on whether they bring biscuits or not :pac:

TheBody wrote: »
    Hi Dav,

Can I post the picture of the boards office in the Photoshop Picture Suggestion Thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056043742

Could be a laugh to see what people come up with!
    You're absolutely right, go ahead :)
    Oh I dunno about that, now that we're out on our own, we have upped the visitation standards :p

You're most definitely welcome brother :)
    Both of them! I think they're really comfy myself.

Folks, I have another excellent piece of news, we have completed our sales team compliment with the addition of Louise who also comes to us from the old group sales team. She'd been working with Matt and the rest of the Distilled Sales team for the last number of years and we are very happy she's joined us.

Chris has also asked that I give a shout out to John and the team in Richer Sounds for hooking us up with a great deal on the two TV's and wall mounts we needed for the boardroom and meeting area. If you've got any home entertainment needs or questions, they have been helping Boardsies out for as long as I can remember, hit them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

So what's the address? I have a feeling its close to the old offices. Like still Dublin 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Brilliant news - congrats folks. A lot of hard work has gone into this and its nice to see it paying off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

im giving that plant 6 months before it dies,well done all

Any chance of a start ? i make great tea like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Look at all them monitors for playing flight sims on!

Luke92 wrote: »
    So what's the address? I have a feeling its close to the old offices. Like still Dublin 8?
    It's South William St, so technically D2, but only 5 mins from Golden Lane.
    Brilliant news - congrats folks. A lot of hard work has gone into this and its nice to see it paying off.
    Thank you, we're really pleased with it too :)
    im giving that plant 6 months before it dies,well done all

Any chance of a start ? i make great tea like
    The plants are fakes ;)
    Look at all them monitors for playing flight sims on!
    Tech people get 3, everyone else 2. Although, Seán and Declan are old skool and only use the one. I have 3 at home - and a HOTAS stick, so I get my flight on there (actually, I use it for playing Elite Dangerous).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Best of luck guys, great to see an indigenous Irish business doing well. It's a testament to all your hard work, even more so considering the economic climate of the past few years and how hard it's been for most to stay in business never mind expand and create extra employment like you guys have done.

Hats off, enjoy your new home and may it live long and prosper!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What's the really tall monitor for? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Great to see you go from strength to strength over the years, all the best in the new gaff!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement