Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee wrecks my head

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Its just taste really. I'm sure he's a lovely guy. He's obviously very knowledgable etc also. But I find his commentary really boring. I started watching football from 1988, but my first real memories of football was from the 1990 world cup. I was 9, and even then I remember hating Jimmy commentating. Although alot hate him, I really like George Hamilton commentary. I don't really care about the amount of knowledge a commentater has (within reason), for me its about the tone of the voice and if they can inject some excitement when needed. Always thought Jimmy rambled on about nothing half the time, and his excitement was usually fairly pedestrian. Extensive Knowledge is what I really want from a pundit, not a commentator.

So nothing personal, its just a preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I like George Hamilton, there, i said it! Probably more nostalgia than anything because our legendary matches were all done under his commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

monkey9 wrote: »
    I like George Hamilton, there, i said it! Probably more nostalgia than anything because our legendary matches were all done under his commentary

HoughTON!!!

Timofte versus Bonner. YEP!

YES WE'RE THERE!

Ahh the memories:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Funny that cause it tells me he's doing nothing but rabble on for the past 20 years.

You know something, I get the impression you aren't even 20 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

SectionF wrote: »
    Best football commentator by some stretch on this island, I think, is the young(ish) chap who does Setanta Ireland (Irish)* matches.

Spot on.

Des Curran is his name. He's a mate of a mate, met him a couple of times. Really nice guy and his knowledge of - and passion for - soccer is truly outstanding. In my opinion, the best commentator in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yeah he is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Cant believe this thread im reading. The man is a legend end of. Given the sad news he got a while back and his quick bounce back into the commentary game is a true mark of the great man in my opinion. He could easily have bowed out then but he choose to forge ahead and doing what he loves best - live sports commentary.

As for the person that said something about bog ball and thats where he should stay - you sir are just an empty tin with a lot of loud rattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Ardent wrote: »
    Spot on.

Des Curran is his name. He's a mate of a mate, met him a couple of times. Really nice guy and his knowledge of - and passion for - soccer is truly outstanding. In my opinion, the best commentator in the country.
    He's the one. Good knowledge all right but also great on-the-spot reactions. Makes such a difference to a game when the commentary is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

glenjamin wrote: »
    Its about time someone had the guts to say it

Ya - real gutsy to destroy someone on the interweb. Ger Canning is much more incompetent than Jimmy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ardent wrote: »
    You know something, I get the impression you aren't even 20 years old.

Guess again.

Didn't realise some people were above criticism :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jimmy is the best octagenerian commentator in these isles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I have nightmares about a commentary team of Jimmy Magee and Ray "Def-fin-aaatly" Houghton with touch line reports from Darragh Maloney.

Advertisement