Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fine issued after sale of car

Options
  • 15-08-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I sold my car to a dealership at the end of May and received a parking fine for the car in June (fine issued in July). I sent the fine back to the Gardai with the signed invoice showing that I traded in the car to a dealership and they were responsible for it. The Gardai sent me back the fine and the invoice saying that they needed a cert from the motortax office to say that I was no longer the registered owner. Obviously the car was still registered in my name if I was getting sent the fine! I contacted the motor tax office who confirmed that the car was still in my name and they haven't received any documentation to change it over. I have contacted the garage loads of times and they are very unhelpful.

I can just pay the fine or fill out a declaration form and get it signed by a solicitor both of which are going to cost money. Or I can wait til I get a court summons which will require me taking a day off work to appear in court which will again cost me money. I paid enough for the bloody car and am totally frustrated. Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I would recommend going to the dealership in person, at a time that suits you obviously but also for maximum effect at a time when there will be a few punters around.
    If you enter the showrooms and shout loud enough about it I'm sure it won't be long before they sort something out for you.

Good luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

JCDUB wrote:
    I would recommend going to the dealership in person,

Definitely the place to start.

There was another thread about a similar situation recently but I can't seem to find it..............

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Iona1

I've been in to them already and of course they assured me it would be sorted out. That was two weeks ago. Since I've been calling them. I'll go in again and have a rant. I wonder if it does go to court will I have to pay the fine or will the invoice from the dealership be enough? Seems ridiculous to waste court time for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

there should be a section to name a driver if you the registered owner was not driving the car at the time if it does put the name of the salesman and the address of the dealership on it and that should sort it then log on to dublincity.ie and download and print an rf105 or rf200 and fill it out changing the car from you to the dealer and get the dealer to sign it and post it to shannon yourself

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The dealer is required to change the ownership to themselves using an RF105 when they buy in a vehicle. They havent done this, and to be fair it happens a lot that garages dont bother, but then the car isnt usually used on the road by them. The worst part of your situation is theyve illegally parked the car and are allowing you to take a hit on the fine! Not very good customer relations imo.

You need to go in with your RF105 and insist they sign it (with garage number) and backdate it to the date of your sale. Hopefully this should begin to sort out your problem, although Im not sure if shannon will take into account the back-dating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

shannon will take the date that is given on the form to them they will just think there was a delay in posting it

Advertisement