Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsure regards rent allowance/supplement?

• 31-08-2011 5:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm 19 years old currently living with my parents. I'm currently receiving the dole. I shall be moving to Galway city in the coming weeks where I will be taking an internship as part of the Job Bridge scheme. I'm just wondering then will I be able to claim rent supplement if I get a place there where I live as part of a house share?

If so, how do I know how much I get and what's the story with limits on how much rent the house is etc.?

I would sincerely appreciate any advice anyone can give me as I in a right predicament here.. Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

To qualify for Rent Supplement you have to be either approved by the local authorithy as being in need of social housing or have been renting privately for 6 months, been able to have afforded the rental when you commenced it and only be looking for the Supplement because you have experienced a change in circumstances (income).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.htm

Is your Job Bridge employer aware that you have to relocate to take up this internship? The website states the following:

•Organisations must not pay top up contributions.

•Out of pocket expenses - There is nothing to prevent a host organisation reimbursing an intern for expenses incurred as part of the internship. However, expenses should not be provided for normal activities such as travel to and from the intern's base and normal expenditure incurred on a day to day basis

http://www.jobbridge.ie/InternPayment.aspx

but if the employer is aware that you have to relocate and pay rent etc., perhaps it could be seen as an allowed expense incurred as part of the internship and they would help you with it. Only you will know whether you could chance raising this with your employer.

Advertisement