Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 3 v's Octavia Elegance?

Options
  • 07-08-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Going for a scrappage deal and have been quoted almost same price for both of these - 20k for octavia, 19,650 for Mazda
    Which would ye buy if either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

My dad got an ovtavia elegance estate a while back

lots of kit. great car feels very solid amd 1.6 tdi is fine.

I think the octavia will have bigger boot than the mazda..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends what you need from the car.

The 3 was only launched this year meaning it is a fresher design, it is also alot easier on the eye than the Octavia imo. The Octavia has been around since 2004 however it still has more room than the 3 and the Elegance spec is probably higher than that of the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 markel

Really just looking for something reliable and economical thats not gonna cost me on repairs etc.
    No family so boot space not too important, big is a bonus.

Liked the DSC in Mazda - bad accident few yrs back after skid on diesel and drive on country roads to work that aren't gritted in winter.

But have heard bad report about Mazda 6 engine - are same problems in Mazda 3?

markel wrote: »
    Really just looking for something reliable and economical thats not gonna cost me on repairs etc.
    No family so boot space not too important, big is a bonus.

Liked the DSC in Mazda - bad accident few yrs back after skid on diesel and drive on country roads to work that aren't gritted in winter.

But have heard bad report about Mazda 6 engine - are same problems in Mazda 3?

Mazda 3 1.6 litre diesel is a Peugeot/Citroen and Ford co-developed engine. It has no connection with the 2.0 litre diesel engine in the 6 which was made inhouse by Mazda. I have the same 1.6 litre diesel engine in my Volvo S40 and my previous Focus. Both covered around 80k miles each and never gave me any grief.

Which would hold value best for resale? Prob change again in 3/4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

markel wrote: »
    Which would hold value best for resale? Prob change again in 3/4 years
    Hard to tell now, probably fairly similiar i imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I had a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI and put 180k on the clock. Never gave me any trouble. All I had to do was service it and change the timing belt twice. Got rid of it before the third time. Very reliable car. Very economical as well. Was getting between 55-60 mpg and I am not the easiest of drivers. They also come with loads extra.
    Don't know much about the Mazda but I would go Skoda

If keeping it for 3 or 4 years then neither is going to have any advantage in resale value. The bonus of the Mazda is that it will have a 3 year warranty as opposed to the Octavia's 2 years.

Think we're swaying more towards Octavia. Only prob is the waiting time. Local garage said at least November. Anyone know of anywhere quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

If you are only keeping the car for a few years then reliability shouldnt be an issue but japanese cars generally tend to be more reliable than European ones.I have driven the mazda 3 and as previously said it is a lovely engine and is very economical as will be the skoda. The mazda will be a better drive as it is based on the focus but the skoda is a solid car with lots of boot space.I would prob go with the Skoda as i have kids and need a large boot.Look at reviews for both on some of the car review websites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Do you do a lot of miles? If not a good deal on a petrol might be wise...

Yes EPM, doing 80kms to and from work and quite a bit of running around otherwise so think diesel mite be better option?

Advertisement