Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alasta Autos...

Options
  • 13-10-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Was in around the IFSC for the first time in a while over the weekend and was surprised to see Alasta Autos have a showroom slap-bang in the middle of the IFSC (beside the beer festival going on this week).

When did this happen? Do they still have the garage on the South Lotts Rd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I saw that too, didn't realise it was Alasta, thought it might be an Alfa Ireland showcase.

Very cool location, fair play to them for putting in the investment. Must be a pain in the arse to arrange test-drives though...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I think its not really for selling, more for display, you'll see a lot of shops in that CHQ are there for display and dont tend to sell too much.. they just get peoples interest in the hope they may call in to one of their other stores in town to purchase..

Tis a nice touch though.. something decent to have a look at on my lunchtime stroll.. :D

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

expect they must have got a big sub from Alpha for this. can't imagine any dealer would be too enthusistic about taking on this overhead by themselves the way things are right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I bought a car off them a few years ago, the after sales were second to none. It was an Alfa GTV and they stood over anything that went wrong with the car. If the same thing went wrong with the car after the warranty but they had fixed it... they covered it. Not often you hear the punters praising the garages, but these guys were very very professional. The workmanship was perfect too. (according to the mechanic that checked it out for the girl who bought it off me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

my sister had a alpha and while im not to sure which alpa franchise kept it on the road for her she said it was a like been in a club and they would work on and talk about the car after like it was their own

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Very good garage, bought my first car off them..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I hit a huge pothole once with an alfa 166 I used to own. Alasta were the dealer nearest to where I worked so dropped it to them to see if anything was damaged.
    When dropping off the car I mentioned that I had bent the alloy that hit the pothole but said no more.
    Anyway when I returned they said no damage but yes your alloy is buckled.
    This was a crap as I had changed that wheel for the spare and the one on the car when they inspected it was perfect. They wanted 370 euro for new rim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

I also had a very bad experience with Alasta with my first car.

They diagnosed a cracked head, charged me €85 for the diagnosis and told me they had to take the engine apart to diagnose the problem.

I got a second opinion and the first thing the 2nd mechanic said was that there wasn't a spanner put on the engine by Alasta, and that it was impossible to correctly diagnose a cracked head.

I called Alasta for an explanation and their rep got v agressive, accused me of trying to sell the car with a diagnosed cracked head and admitted no work was done on the engine.

My personal opinion is to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mickdw wrote: »
    I hit a huge pothole once with an alfa 166 I used to own. Alasta were the dealer nearest to where I worked so dropped it to them to see if anything was damaged.
    When dropping off the car I mentioned that I had bent the alloy that hit the pothole but said no more.
    Anyway when I returned they said no damage but yes your alloy is buckled.
    This was a crap as I had changed that wheel for the spare and the one on the car when they inspected it was perfect. They wanted 370 euro for new rim.
    Was the wheel that hit the pothole buckled? And was it in the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anan1 wrote: »
    Was the wheel that hit the pothole buckled? And was it in the boot?

Yes there were lumps missing out of it. It was in the boot but they said I had a warp on the wheel fitted to the corner that I told them to inspect. Believe me there was no misunderstanding. I had 5 alloys and I think perhaps they assumed only 4 and that the dodgy one must be on the car.

I have a real horror story about another dublin Alfa dealer ....

MODEDIT ..if it's another dealer, then why mention it here, in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes there were lumps missing out of it. It was in the boot but they said I had a warp on the wheel fitted to the corner that I told them to inspect. Believe me there was no misunderstanding. I had 5 alloys and I think perhaps they assumed only 4 and that the dodgy one must be on the car.
    Hmmm, that's not good. I was wondering whether they meant the wheel in the boot, but if you say not... Personally, i've always found them good, although <SNIP> can have a bit of an attitude problem, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Folks ...when will ye ever get it into yer heads that this is a public forum and that you just can't "name and shame" and vent at your little hearts content.

Some hearsay story that may or may not be true could seriously harm the reputation of a business.

If you have issues with a particular garage, take it up with them or go down the legal route ...but don't just "vent" here. Not with proof, and particularly not without.

If your case has been proven, then you can come here and tell us about it, but not before.

And Anan1:
    You've been here long enough to know not to throw names around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement