Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car rental question

Options
  • 15-08-2007 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am looking to rent a car while on Holidays in Portugal but I only have my full licence for 6 months.

Everywhere I have looked you need at least 1 year.

Do anyone know a way around this or a place in Faro which dose not have this restriction.

Many Thanks

S

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just go for it - the majority of them never check how long you have the licence and may not even know the difference between a provisional and full Irish Licence.

However if you have a crash you may be in a bit of bother as they prob will do a good check then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm not sure if they always check the date of issue.

In Italy last month, we were renting a car in my girlfriend's name. I was put down as an extra driver - they didn't even ask to see my licence (just my passport). Only restriction was that she had to be in the car if I was driving - otherwise we would have had to pay extra again for the two of us to drive solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ptashka

last year i managed to hire a car in England on Irish provisional, this year, they wouldn't give me because im not over 25/23 !!! has the law changed?
    or is all a function of who you get behind the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

normally hertz and the rental companies you get at the airport are fairy rigid with their rules, full license for x number of years ect... but all of the local places around the holiday resorts will rent out cars much easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Thanks for the info,
    I'm just a bit wary of doing it on the sly as I will need my licence for my job in September.

Not staying in a major resort just a mate house but I will do a search locally.

S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ptashka wrote:
    last year i managed to hire a car in England on Irish provisional, this year, they wouldn't give me because im not over 25/23 !!! has the law changed?
    or is all a function of who you get behind the counter?

That really should not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's usually the rental company's insurance carrier that demand these restrictions. Most I have rented from in the past take a photo copy of your licence at the desk for their records.

You really are taking a risk by not disclosing this information in the event of a traffic accident/offence from an insurance point of view. You would literally be driving without insurance. Plus you really don't know what sort of laws and penalties the country in question has if found to be driving without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

ptashka wrote:
    last year i managed to hire a car in England on Irish provisional

So you were driving in the UK without a licence? :eek:
    An Irish provisional is just a bit of green paper outside the Republic. You might as well have been carrying a bit of used tissue.

Any rule about holding a licence for a year or whatever is a rental company rule. Sure, you might face contractual difficulties with the rental company if you're caught breaking it, but at least you'd be driving with a valid licence, and would have no trouble if stopped by the Police.

The law about having a full licence in any given country in the first place is just that - a law. A cop would go pretty harshly on you if you were stopped.

Advertisement