Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do??

• 30-10-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice. I have about €250 - €300 to spend on an upgrade and I'm caught between a monitor and new GPU and I can't decide.

My current rig which I built almost exactly 2 yr's ago is ;
    --- i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
    --- ASRock Z77 Pro3
    --- Hyper EVO 212
    --- Club 3D Radeon HD 7870-2GB
    --- 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    --- Asus Xonar DG
    --- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    --- Barracuda 7200 1000GB
    --- BitFenix Shinobi Windowed Black
    --- Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    --- Logitech G400 & MS SideWinder X4

I was on a tight budget so I went without a proper monitor and used a 40" bravia full HD TV as my display. Its great for all the screen space and I have an armchair behind my desk chair which, when paired with an Xbox controller, is amazingly comfy for steam big screen mode. But it is a little too big when playing some keyboard & mouse games.

The GPU is pretty middle of the road but is holding out well once i got the right drivers that suited it. It was crashing to blackscreen a lot on certain games until I used catalyst drivers 14.4. Works perfect on those drivers and I can even get good over-clocking on certain games which would have crashed it before.

I could buy something like this--> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BPL0558/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE, and put the TV I have up high on a bracket, and put monitor underneath on the desk, and just use the TV for steam BS. I'm thinking that 24" would be too small after using 40" for so long, so it would have to be 27". I'm not up to scratch on monitors so maybe my choice is bad, open to suggestions.

Or should I just keep using the TV and blow it on a faster GPU???
    What should I/would you do?

Comments

Advertisement