Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My CMOS smoked! Please advise replacement

• 29-10-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

The cmos device on my ASUS P5B deluxe went up in smoke!
    Yes a nice pop.... then blue smoke upon power up.

The actual part number is MX25L8005
    I've ordered a new chip (5 euro) on the off chance that its repairable.

But assuming the MB is fried, what can I get for about €200 to €300?

It will be a new MB and Proessor I assume at the very least.

I'd like to reuse as much of the PC as possible to keep cost down.
    Memory is OCZ PC26400 x 4 Ghz
    Graphics card was PCI GeForce 8800 GTX
    HD's were SATA

Thanks
    Trackerman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

8800's love to kill themselves so I'd replace that while you're at it.

RAM is DDR2, useless now. Drives should be fine.

Is the PSU branded? 80+? If not I'd be suspicious of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No point.

An 8800GTX is a power hungry, clunky and ancient animal that is slower than a €40-50 new card at this stage. No point re-using if, even if only keeping the power consumption in mind.

Drives should be fine, DDR2 can still be sold for alright money so do that.

€50 euro G3220 Intel CPU and a basic €50 euro board will be twice as fast as whatever processor you're using now!

You can use the intel onboard graphics which are fine for everything other than gaming, which I assume you weren't doing with that old GTX anyway.

4GB of DDR3 Ram is €35.

Total cost: €135

If you're budget's €200, throw in a 64GB SSD there too as a primary drive - will make a massive difference guaranteed to blow your socks off.

Total cost €200. And your old 4GB ram and 8800GTX should get you €50 of that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

PSU is a Seasonic 600HT 600w

The PS is ocasionally used for gaming but did struggle on the 8800GTX, it's also been intermittantly failing so time for a new GC.
    What could I get thats reasonably priced but far faster than the 8800GTX? and if it saves power I can keep my PSU right?

PS, could the PSU have caused the flashrom to fail? (MX25L8005) perhsps I need to test the PSU somehow.

Your PSU is fine for even the high end cards, so no fears there, provided it is working OK.

Something like a €130 GTX750Ti 2GB is not only way faster than the 8800GTX, it also uses a mere fraction of the power. It's good for most modern games at high settings at 1080p resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭trackerman

Some more testing and my Seasonic is also blown.... a nice black hole in the PCB!
    It was packed full of dust so I guess it was just a matter of time.

So whats the deal on PSU's these days?
    will I need 600w for the G3220 Intel CPU and new GPU?

• Advertisement

Nowhere close. Even if you bought a GTX750Ti usage still wouldn't surpass 200w-ish. Something for around the €35 euro mark like the Evga 500B, Corsair VS450 or Cx450, Antec VP450, etc would be perfect. 600W is only needed these days for very higher end setups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CX450 is serving me well, would be plenty for you.

Advertisement