Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to build

Options
  • 31-10-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

About to build, parts have already started arriving so should be building if not this weekend, next weekend. Just wondering what all tools I'll need (anything outside the norm) and where best to buy them? Also been reading a bit about stuff like static discharge or whatever. What's the best way to prevent anything like that happening, considering my floors are carpet (I'll be building it on the table obviously, but just wondering if there are any particular precautions I need to take).

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'd recommend a grounded anti-static wrist band, especially if you're standing on carpet while working. Cheap enough in Maplins. I also had a nice big rubber mat that I used to put bare components on because there was exposed metal elements on the table that I was afraid would cause short outs.

I guess just be aware of the environment you're working in. Avoid exposure to anything that could cause static including your clothes (carpets, big aran jumpers ;) etc ), make sure the table or bench is properly grounded and try to avoid contact with anything conductive would be my tips.

Is there a non-carpeted area you could move your table to maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I'd recommend a grounded anti-static wrist band, especially if you're standing on carpet while working. Cheap enough in Maplins. I also had a nice big rubber mat that I used to put bare components on because there was exposed metal elements on the table that I was afraid would cause short outs.

I guess just be aware of the environment you're working in. Avoid exposure to anything that could cause static including your clothes (carpets, big aran jumpers ;) etc ), make sure the table or bench is properly grounded and try to avoid contact with anything conductive would be my tips.

Is there a non-carpeted area you could move your table to maybe?

Unfortunately not. I'll grab one of the wristbands and maybe one of the mats if possible. Is it also just a case of touching the case before touching any of the components, or will the strap take care of that?

Also, do I need thermal paste? I haven't opened any of the parts that arrived yet (read that helps with preventing static too, only opening them when you're going to install it).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Should come with paste. Even if you put down a black sack on the ground and touch something metal before placing the parts you will be fine.

Small screw driver and processor/cooler will come with thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

A good tip is to fit the PSU, plug in the mains cable in to the wall socket. If the wal socket is switched, leave the switch off. If its unswitched, make sure the switch at the back of your PSU is off as well. This will ground the metal of the PSU and chassis.

Advertisement