Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics card dead? Upgrade Advice Needed!

• 26-10-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭

Current build:
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black, ohne Netzteil
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 royalKing, 3GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, PCI- Express
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Basic
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W - Replaced: Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS
    Thermalright True Spirit 120 Rev.
    All ordered from Hardwareversand.de except the new PSU which was on Amazon.
    1440p Yamakasi Catleap along with a philips 39" (I think) HD Ready TV

I built the above rig just under two years ago with help from you lovely people in here. Original thread: Here

Last week it just turned off and would not power back up. I made sure everything was plugged in correctly, checked different power cable and socket etc so then I thought it was the power supply so I ordered a new one (see above). Set the new PSU all up but still nothing was happening. Then I thought it might be something to do with the power button its self. Used a screw driver to connect the two power pins and finally I had power! The machine was open, and I saw a bit of a flame starting on the graphics card so I immediately unplugged it again! Could smell the burning afterwards. Happy I had power, but very concerned about the burning!

Then I plugged the power button back in and that started working again. So I have my machine on and working just with the internal graphics, the graphics card still wont boot.

At this stage, I don't know what the initial problem was. The old PSU could still be working fine I guess!

Was it my graphics card all along? Any other way of testing her again? Or is she dead and is it time to buy a new one?

Play some games, but nothing crazy, so would be happy with an upgrade from my old one without going for the top top one as I don't think it's necessary. Happy to do some other upgrades of the rig while I'm at it if worthwhile.

So guys, any help with this would be much appreciated. I don't want to go out and buy something else that I may not even need!

FYI: I have never overclocked anything, and I was watching a film when it happened so shouldn't be any over-heating problems. and the Gfx card does power up, fans working etc, but nothing comes up on my monitor at all. Then once I unplug it and use the internal gfx it's fine.

Thanks,
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Sounds to me like you have a dodgey graphics card indeed!

Is there not a 2 or 3 year warranty on that card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

NakQuada wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you have a dodgey graphics card indeed!

Is there not a 2 or 3 year warranty on that card?

Thanks for your reply. I have emailed Hardwareversand.de regarding warranty, see if I can get a repair/replacement.

Might just order a new one though, could be waiting a while to get a replacement.

Emailed Hardwareversand.de on Tuesday, still no reply, kinda frustrating.

So I went an ordered SAPPHIRE AMD R9 280 Graphics Card (3GB, DDR5) from Amazon. Hoping to get it soon.

Considered the 290 Tri-X OC but for what I'm using it for sounds like the 280 will be perfect.

The bad side of ordering from Hardwareversand I guess is the customer service! Anyone any tips be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You probably should have gone for the 290, for the crazy money it's selling at at the moment, the price to performance ratio is insane and it would last years for someone gaming casually!

R9 280's still good though, just not much of an improvement on the 7950...

And unfortunately if HWV send you a replacement 7950, the 2nd hand price of them has dropped massively. I would have waited it out with the Intel IGP until HWV got back to you.

You probably should have gone for the 290, for the crazy money it's selling at at the moment, the price to performance ratio is insane and it would last years for someone gaming casually!

R9 280's still good though, just not much of an improvement on the 7950...

And unfortunately if HWV send you a replacement 7950, the 2nd hand price of them has dropped massively. I would have waited it out with the Intel IGP until HWV got back to you.

HWV got back to me at lunch time saying:

"please fil in our retur delivery notice and send your return to the following address: ....."

So I've asked them if they cover postage fees, and if I can have a refund. Probably take them another few days to get back to me. I'd be blessed to get a refund I imagine.

I could always cancel the 280 and go for the 290 as you said. Amazon haven't dispatched it yet. This was the one I was looking at, what would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is a spectacular price.

Advertisement