Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real life Terminators!

Options
  • 20-11-2012 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/warning-over-armies-developing--terminator--style-killer-robots-19112012.html
    Human Rights Watch has issued a warning that ‘Terminator’-style killer robots could be developed in decades - and that several governments are working on the technology.

The U.S government in particular has admitted to working towards robotic weapons systems with ‘total autonomy’.

The Human Rights Watch calls on policy-makers to outlaw ‘fully autonomous weapons’ - robots that can decide to kill.

It says such weapons could be feasible “in decades”.

Cool! :cool:

Maybe robocops to follow! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

They will want your Boots your Clothes your Motorcycle and your Sunglasses :cool:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

I'd hope they're not easy to hack ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So now 'Terminator' robots take precedence over hoverboards, hang your craniums in shame scientists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

this is just merica trying to scARE russia into leaving isreal do what it wants

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Porkchop McGee

The future used to be cool, now it's just going to be nothing but hassle from The Man and his robot. I wish I died in the 50s, back when robots knew their place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It says such weapons could be feasible “in decades”.
    I'd have to argue on purely technical grounds: Such weapons would be feasible in months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm overjoyed to live in a time when I could potentially be riding a souped-up Cadillac with a shotgun fighting the Machine Rebellion. I'm even happier it didn't take place in the f*cking 90s. I can't be having with all that "hasta la vista baby" bollocks at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Gurgle wrote: »
    I'd have to argue on purely technical grounds: Such weapons would be feasible in months!

you're probably right...
    One in three U.S. war places is now a drone, and the U.S. has said that it aims for its forces to be 30% robotic by 2020.
    Automatic death: Samsung's machine gun sentry robot, which is already in use in South Korea, can spot unusual activity, challenge intruders and, when authorised by a human controller, open fire

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2235680/Rise-Machines-Autonomous-killer-robots-developed-20-years.html#ixzz2CmCvipyV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

One in three U.S. war planes is now a drone, and the U.S. has said that it aims for its forces to be 30% robotic by 2020.

A whole battalion of robots, unable to hit a barn door, judging by their drone attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

"Do you want to play a game?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Bet the Irish ones get a special 'robot allowance' in their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

The Irish Robocops will have to be programmed especially to say 'Veh - hee - kal'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

They are among us already, Data is now the grandfather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

As long as they still require human operators to re-arm and re-fuel them, we're fine

If that can be done by machines, then humans are bollixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Well on the plus side you can't be done for war crimes if you massacre the ones you capture.

A "junkyard" doesn't have the same sinister connotations as a "mass grave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GeorgeClooney

They will want your Boots your Clothes your Motorcycle and your Sunglasses :cool:

They obviously took away all of your common nouns because you appear to be only left with proper nouns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well on the plus side you can't be done for war crimes if you massacre the ones you capture.

A "junkyard" doesn't have the same sinister connotations as a "mass grave"

You might get sued if you interfere with one. Corporations won't like anyone trying to modify or duplicate the iKiller or the Andronator or whatever the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Battlestar Galactica here we come.

Frack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Battlestar Galactica here we come.

Frack.

Riiiiight..... frack...

http://img.portwallpaper.com/imgcel/Tricia_Helfer/Tricia-Helfer-2.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Shryke wrote: »

You might get sued if you interfere with one. Corporations won't like anyone trying to modify or duplicate the iKiller or the Andronator or whatever the hell.
    Dibs on the iKiller patent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Cungi wrote: »
    As long as they still require human operators to re-arm and re-fuel them, we're fine

If that can be done by machines, then humans are bollixed.
    All easily done with current tech. Its just laws that are stopping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Considering not one complex machine currently made can be ignored for more than a few hours without going wrong in some way without human input/repair, I'd say we're safe enough. I'd reckon more advanced drones with some nerd at a control station will be more close to reality. I may be wrong in which case I will buy an old station wagon and flee westwards - no way are those robots getting through the maze that is Mayo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

davet82 wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/warning-over-armies-developing--terminator--style-killer-robots-19112012.html
    Human Rights Watch has issued a warning that ‘Terminator’-style killer robots could be developed in decades
    http://xkcd.com/652/

We live in a world where there are actual fleets of robot assassins patrolling the skies. At some point there, we left the present and entered the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Now we're going to have to send them back in time to prevent themselves being invented!

Fucking military forcing us to act out paradoxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Pottler wrote: »
    Considering not one complex machine currently made can be ignored for more than a few hours without going wrong in some way without human input/repair, I'd say we're safe enough.

Tell that to the Connor family :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If anyone is interested in building one you can download the code to program it with here http://nengo.ca/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Killer Robots......much debate ensues.....conclusion: Man is the real monster.

Advertisement