Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restore my faith in humanity :)

• 30-07-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I lost €200 on the street in my small hometown street on Friday, and it is nowhere to be found. So this is a curiosity thing (I'm fairly sure that someone somewhere is having a fantastic weekend at my expense) - if you found €200 on the street, what would you do?? I can honestly say I'd leave it into the business I found it outside of, or into the gardaí if there was no business where I found it. Be honest ;)

What do you do if you find a large sum of money on the street? 114 votes

Give it to the gardaí
    0% 0 votes
    Hand it in to a nearby business
    29% 34 votes
    Happy christmas to me
    1% 2 votes
    Donate it to a charity
    62% 71 votes
    Something else
    6% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have to say it depends on how much, and what type of money it is. I already have direct debit to UNICEF, so charity's out ... If it's cheques or credit cards, then definitely yes, I'd hand it in. If it's thousands of Euro, then yes, I'd hand it in. If it's 50 Euro, then probably not. I'd see it as providence!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Yeah I'd feel the same. If it was larger than 50 I'd prob hand it in to the Gardaí, supposedly if nobody claims it in a year and a day it's yours.
    Alot of my friends say they'd keep the money but i'd look at it this way- if I lost a considerable ammount of money, I would hope that whoever found it would hand it in... sayin that it'd be pretty good odds that some knacker would find it!
    I dunno, maybe i'm too nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wait a minute, you lost that?... is that not the way they pay you for the Dole nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd probably keep it... I found €50 before, and planned to give it to charity, but ended up... NOT giving it to charity!

I'm a greedy git, what can I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'd hand it in probably*, your faith humanity restored. :)

*to a shopkeeper after buying a heap of sweeties! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i found a wallet outside my house one day. it had €350 in cash and no id.
    i had fun that night.
    that sort of thing regularly happens me.
    one morning i was walking out the door and a €20 note landed at my feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Hmmm...I would hand it in if I found it in a store, but if it blew itself onto my path and was, say, only 50 Euro, then I would keep it, no qualms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

the last time I found money on the street I left it where I found it.. I think it would have been about €50... wished all the way home that I'd picked it up but knew that I wouldn't have handed it in anywhere if I had so left it and hoped that one of the homeless *looking* people nearby wandered past and picked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Hells bells, early christmas! Chances are if you handed it to a cop they would just pocket it themselves..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

What really gets my goat is that my brother lost €150 at Oxegen (careless family) and that fecker found it, 3 seperate 50s in 3 seperate locations after about 15-20 mins, but I lose it in sleepy town with a population of just over 1000 and its gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Id give it to the police. I dont think I could enjoy it feeling that guilty!

Having said that, last time I found a decent amount of money was passing a Catholic church. I went in and put it in one of the charity boxes, only to realise once I had placed it there, that it was actually a cause I have some disagreement with:mad: . Police from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Chances are if you handed it to a cop they would just pocket it themselves..

That's also quite possible! W**kers! Tis a bit of a moral dillema seeing as you dont know who you could trust to hand it in too, Gardaí or Shops/Businesses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Caco wrote:
    That's also quite possible! W**kers! Tis a bit of a moral dillema seeing as you dont know who you could trust to hand it in too, Gardaí or Shops/Businesses!

Trust no one but yourself :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I would definetly hand it to the cops. I have lost wallets, bags and keys over the years and besides the keys have found all of them. One night I was getting into my car with a take-away and put my wallet on the roof while I opened the door. Half hour later got a call from a girl saying she found it. My organ donor card was in it and all my money btw.

I have found a wallet since and handed it in to the cops. What goes around comes around...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Keep it. Pretty much under any circumstanses I'd keep it

700 yen, a wedding ring and 1000 pound my dad once found belonged to a chinese couple, he's a taxi driver and he manged to track them down

they gave my dad a bottle of expensive whiskey and other small presents in gratitude

he's keeps phones he finds on and a couple of people have gotten their phones that they left behind back!

He's a good guy that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Happy christmas to me! :D

Seriously though.. 200, I'd keep. Who manages to lose that much? Although if it was 300 + I'd hand it in more for the fact that I don't want gangsters hunting me down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think at this stage I'd probably keep anything up to a 50 euro note that I found. But if it was a wallet, even if it was only a 20 in it I'd hand it over, dunno why I feel differently. I have several times found wallets/licences/cards and handed them over to the Gardai, only to have their owners get them back and thank me. Would like to think same will happen to me when I lose something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Found €50 in tesco's once. I worked there for a few months (Years ago) and one night i found £5 so i asked the manager who was working in that aisle as they had obviously lost it, he grabs it and goes "oh i lost that" and walks off...
    So feck that went straight to the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This kinda depends on the circumstances. The amount of money, where I found it, whether there was id with it etc.

But a basical rule for me would be; if there's a wallet involved with credit cards, id etc. (i.e a way of identifying/contacting the person) then I would not keep it. But I'm not sure I'd hand it in to cops straight away either. I'd try and make contact with the person myself if at all possible. I just don't trust people much, cops included. Where finding the person myself wasn't possible then I'd go to Garda Station.

If it's just cash, there's no wallet, no credit cards, no id etc, then more than likely I'll just keep it. But I think you have to judge the situation as it happens. If it was in a situation where I figured there would be a decent chance of getting it back to the right person then I'd see what I could do. But if I just found cash on a busy street I would probably keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Money on its own, €50 or less, I'd keep. >€50 and wallets etc. (with or without ID) I'd hand in to the Gardaí - I'd be afraid that if I contacted the owner using their ID, they'd claim that there was x amount of money in the wallet that's now missing and blame me :D Wouldn't hand it into a shop unless I found it in the shop.
    Found €50 in tesco's once. I worked there for a few months (Years ago) and one night i found £5 so i asked the manager who was working in that aisle as they had obviously lost it, he grabs it and goes "oh i lost that" and walks off...
    So feck that went straight to the pub!
    I found a £1 coin in school one day. A teacher walking by saw me picking it up and demanded if I was going to hand it in at the office. The bastard took it off me and headed towards the office. Seconds later he walked by again. I bet he pocketed it, the wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

...I'd be afraid that if I contacted the owner using their ID, they'd claim that there was x amount of money in the wallet that's now missing and blame me :D Wouldn't hand it into a shop unless I found it in the shop.

It wouldn't matter. They could claim what they liked but would have no way of proving anything. In fairness the cops wouldhardly believe them anyway if they tried to make something of it. I mean who would take money out of a wallet and then contact the person to give back the wallet?? :confused:
    It's a pretty unlikely scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Quackles wrote:
    I lose it in sleepy town with a population of just over 1000 and its gone.
    Only 1000? Interrogate them all; you give up too easily.

Oh, and fwiw I'd only keep any sum under €107.46 ... keeping anything over that would be MADness. ¬_¬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I would want it returned to the owner. If in a wallet or purse with ID, no problemo. Call them and return it.

But without ID, how do you do it? It's not as simple as one would think. If you give it to the gardai, what happens? If you give it to a local business, what happens to it? If legitimate, we know what happens to it if given to a charity, but that does not get it back to the person who owns it. If you keep it, you are a thief of sorts, because you are taking something that does not belong to you (If not money, would you take a car left on the streets because someone was foolish enough to leave the keys in the ignition? Same thing as taking the money).

You could put up a note near where it was found, as well as in locale businesses, but then how do you know who it really belonged to? You will probably have several people claim it. You might not disclose the amount in the note, but then again, how many of you know exactly what's in your purse or wallet without looking first? And somebody might make a lucky guess, before the real owner shows up. Then what do you do? Reach in your savings and pay the real owner, or send him/her after the false (you think) claimer?

You could put something in the personals of the locale paper, but that costs money, too. And here we go again, with people calling for the money, and you not knowing who it belongs to. And just think of all the creeps you might attract with this money bait? Not a simple solution.:rolleyes:

I would probably give it to the gardai (and hold my breath), assuming that they will ensure that it's returned to the rightful owner.

"Yeah I'm calling about the €100 you found, I think its mine?"
    "Ok, describe the bill me to me please"
    "Well its green and has 100 euro printed on it"
    "Sounds like your bill alright, come collect it!

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:

Ha ha ha! Very funny Ruu!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Never look a gift Horse in the mouth- (I think the saying goes)

Now and then good things come your way, sometimes in the form of money. When it does TAKE IT, as your next bit of luck might be BAD luck.

Last time I found money was a 50 in Crawdaddy, Sambucas were on me that night, and plenty of laughs were had. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If I found a wallet I'd hand it in.

Now if I just found a wad of 50's like the OP seems to be suggesting, I'd probably keep it unless it was obvious where it had come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

That much I'd definitely hand in to the nearest Garda Station. Anything less than €20 I just leave where it is, it's not mine, not my concern, but €50 upwards I'd probably bring to the Garda Station. €20-50, not sure, not enough that I'd feel motivated to go all the way to a Garda Station, not so little that I'd definitely not pick it up....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

If there was ID with the money I'd look them up in the phone book (I might take a 'reward' though). If there was no ID, then its mine. Unless its a security case full of money or something.

Ruu wrote:

:rolleyes: Come on now, don't be ridiculous.. its more like this -

"Yeah, I'm calling about the sum of money you found? I think it might be mine.."
    "Oh ok, how much was it?"
    "€50.."
    "Uhh..."
    "€100!"
    "Mmm..."
    "€150?"
    "Well..."
    "€200!"
    "Bingo!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If it was a wallet with the owners name or ID, I'd do all I could to get it back to them. If it was a loose sum of money that could belong to anyone, I'd pocket it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'd report it. But not hand it in. Then whoever you gave it to would keep it. I'd leave the gardai and the nearest business or shop the details (A sum of money -not the amount), and my phone number. Then they'd have a month to collect it. After that its mine. Conscience free.

Quackles wrote:
    :rolleyes: Come on now, don't be ridiculous.. its more like this -

"Yeah, I'm calling about the sum of money you found? I think it might be mine.."
    "Oh ok, how much was it?"
    "€50.."
    "Uhh..."
    "€100!"
    "Mmm..."
    "€150?"
    "Well..."
    "€200!"
    "Bingo!!"

Excellent, you've done this before then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

aidan24326 wrote:
    This kinda depends on the circumstances. The amount of money, where I found it, whether there was id with it etc.

But a basical rule for me would be; if there's a wallet involved with credit cards, id etc. (i.e a way of identifying/contacting the person) then I would not keep it. But I'm not sure I'd hand it in to cops straight away either. I'd try and make contact with the person myself if at all possible. I just don't trust people much, cops included. Where finding the person myself wasn't possible then I'd go to Garda Station.

If it's just cash, there's no wallet, no credit cards, no id etc, then more than likely I'll just keep it. But I think you have to judge the situation as it happens. If it was in a situation where I figured there would be a decent chance of getting it back to the right person then I'd see what I could do. But if I just found cash on a busy street I would probably keep it.

exactly what i'd do! save me typing it myself!

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    Excellent, you've done this before then! :)

Well, I am pretty careless... After all, the reason I was carrying around that much cash was because I've lost my bank card and I had to lift money to last me for the weekend :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I could be sure who or where had lost it, I'd give it back no hassle. If not, I would keep it. I could just envisage it heading into the garda xmas party fund if nobody claimed it and it may as well be in my pocket as theirs...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Found €300 at a pass machine once, and gave it in. Found €20 on the road once - had a few pints.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I walked past at least forty euro on the ground once. There was defo at least two twenties rolled up together and possibly more. Decided to leave it where it was as the place was surrounded by scangers and i didnt fancy a boxing match with an anto. Surely theres some good karma to come from it???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'd keep it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My loved ones would be getting a lot of gifts/pints!
    That or if it was really a huge amount, hand it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

handing it to the guards or anyone else is a sure way of if being dissappeared.

My grandfather once found a very large sum ..£10 K + in the street outside a bank he duly handed it over to the manager, a week later an ad appeared in the local paper saying "lost sum of money". So he calls the number, confirms it was the same amount and tells him where to get it........... the bank manager denied all knowledge of .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Happy Christmas to Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

It depends on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I'm in a mood where I feel sorry for everyone so if I was in one of them I'd do whatever to hand it back.
    If I was drunk I might keep what I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Quackles wrote:
    I lost €200 on the street in my small hometown street on Friday, and it is nowhere to be found. So this is a curiosity thing (I'm fairly sure that someone somewhere is having a fantastic weekend at my expense) - if you found €200 on the street, what would you do?? I can honestly say I'd leave it into the business I found it outside of, or into the gardaí if there was no business where I found it. Be honest ;)

You have to look on it philosophically. If you lost the money, it was meant to be, and fate needed the money for someone else. Maybe the person that found it desperately needed the cash to survive - who knows.

I found about a hundred punts in a wallet in a bar I worked in years ago (as a poor student). I left it in, and it was a pensioner's. I didn't need it, he earned it. He was happy, I was happy.

Instant karma's gonna get ya etc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Over 20 euro, and i'll leave it with the Gardai.

Found a 50 a few years back, left it with the above. Got a call back like a year later saying nobody collected it, and it was mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

6 year old thread ftw!

I found €150 about 3 years ago in smyth's toy store. it was on the ground at the till. about 5 people in front of me. I was carrying a heavy box and said screw it, it's mine. I dropped the box on it really quick and once everyone had moved I quickly grabbed it.

Sorry, but if your not careful with your money your gonna lose it....

Advertisement