Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting newspapers to sell photographs

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some up to date info regarding selling images to the main national newspapers.

Firstly, does anyone have a list of email contact details for the main publications?

Also, using photoshop, what file information should I attach to the image? Name, address etc?

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Best of luck to you in your efforts but the majority of national/local newspapers have their own photographers or will purchase
    stock images. You will have to submit your images for consideration but more than likely you won't get paid for them if they get used.
    If I'm not mistaken you might also need a model release form if you photograph individuals as you need their permission
    for their image to feature in a publication.

You also need to title your images & include your name & telephone number in the e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that if they print one of your photos and you invoice them and then they will still not pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

HighLine wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that if they print one of your photos and you invoice them and then they will still not pay?

What I am 'suggesting' is that they might publish an image on the basis that you submit it free gratis but you will need to talk to a newspaper editor first.
    If your image is used your name will appear with it so at least it's some publicity.

In my view it would want to be a world worthy story/image before any
    newspaper would pay money for it. Unfortunately it's the world we live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Include all your details including phone number and the text "Standard Editorial Rates Accepted" in the IPTC.

If they print the pic you will be paid their standard rates when you invoice them. You will have to contact the picture desk to get their rates as they are all different. You will also have to watch out for the pic being used as they won't tell you and its up to you to see it and invoice them. Stupid, I know but that's the way it is in Ireland.

Also, unless the pic is something that none of their contracted agencies have then there isn't a hope it will be printed.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice guys, I will see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not 100% related to above but in the same neighbourhood- Sports Illustrated DoP Tells You How to Get Your Foot in the Door With Photo Editors link

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

CinSoots wrote: »
    You will also have to watch out for the pic being used as they won't tell you and its up to you to see it and invoice them. Stupid, I know but that's the way it is in Ireland.

This does my nut in. Also prepare for the "send us your VAT number or Tax Clearance cert" and we can process your invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

What I am 'suggesting' is that they might publish an image on the basis that you submit it free gratis but you will need to talk to a newspaper editor first.
    If your image is used your name will appear with it so at least it's some publicity.

In my view it would want to be a world worthy story/image before any
    newspaper would pay money for it. Unfortunately it's the world we live in!

Surely if you watermark the image that would prevent that and then you send them an un-watermarked image once a price has been agreed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

CK73 wrote: »
    Surely if you watermark the image that would prevent that and then you send them an un-watermarked image once a price has been agreed?

Nope, they'll ignore the image, unless it is totally exclusive and exceptional. They don't have time to waste contacting people, back and forth. Papers have rates, normally fairly standard rates. If the image is printed, they pay you the rate, once you invoice and chase them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Farmlife wrote: »
    This does my nut in. Also prepare for the "send us your VAT number or Tax Clearance cert" and we can process your invoice
    This is not my experience. It doesn't matter if you are VAT registered or not, and there is no need for a Tax clearance cert unless you are doing €1,000's worth of business per year and usually with a Government agency.

Filling in the IPTC & Caption information is critical - good information can help sell the picture. Always think: Who, What, When Where? when captioning.
    A good caption will read something like this: "29/08/2014 NEWS Craig Potter with his dog Shannon, his Mum Vickie Halpin and Cliona O'Dea, Director of Training at My Canine Companion, at the press launch for the Service Dogs of Ireland Seminar, Rochestown Park Hotel, Cork.
    Picture: Denis O'Sullivan"

Be sure to Included you Name, Contact number (preferably Mobile) and email address in the Copyright field so you can be contacted.

As mentioned by CinSoots Say if reproduction fees apply or if the picture is "REPRO FREE"

Also as mentioned by PaulW don't waste time with watermarking images or sending low res images (unless it's a world exclusive), or ZIP files, or Dropbox links - Editors won't waste time just to see an image that is unlikely to be of interest anyway!

• Advertisement

Would you guys bill for the following article? No permission was requested to use the images. They did kindly provide a link to facebook etc. so it would probably be a bit petty to request payment?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/relief-for-commuters-as-new-n11-road-to-dublin-opens-months-ahead-of-schedule-31372678.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

HighLine wrote: »
    Would you guys bill for the following article? No permission was requested to use the images. They did kindly provide a link to facebook etc. so it would probably be a bit petty to request payment?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/relief-for-commuters-as-new-n11-road-to-dublin-opens-months-ahead-of-schedule-31372678.html

I would definitely bill them and I wouldn't see it as petty. They stole 7 of your images and the fact that they linked back to your face book page means they know exactly how to contact you. Personally I would send them your standard rate per image plus an unauthorised usage fee (Probably equivalent to your standard image rate). Take some screen shots of the page in case it gets changed when they receive the bill. Also try and find out if they appear in the printed edition, one fee for online one for the printed edition.

They will complain and protest but if they had contacted you beforehand instead of stealing them all of those details could have been worked out and there would be no problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Theft, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Let them pony up the cash for your images for sure, it's not acceptable to steal your photos just because they are on social media, you own the copyright, it's not public domain and free for all.

The UAV and camera kit are not free, so neither are the images. I hope you receive payment.

Definitely take some screen shots, print the pages to PDF, check the hardcopy paper edition, send them an invoice and if not forthcoming time for a solicitors letter

Thanks for the replies and the advice. There has been nothing in the print version as of yet but I'll wait until tomorrow just to be sure. I don't suppose anyone would have an email contact for the relevant billing section for the Independent?

I have taken screenshots of the article and photos as advised above just in case. I presume I will also include the URL in the invoice I send?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

CinSoots wrote: »
    Include all your details including phone number and the text "Standard Editorial Rates Accepted" in the IPTC.

If they print the pic you will be paid their standard rates when you invoice them. You will have to contact the picture desk to get their rates as they are all different. You will also have to watch out for the pic being used as they won't tell you and its up to you to see it and invoice them. Stupid, I know but that's the way it is in Ireland.

Also, unless the pic is something that none of their contracted agencies have then there isn't a hope it will be printed.

Best of luck

This was the advice given to you last year.

If you made contact and they now have you listed as a source then surely the outcome is what you were expecting. I do not like the way you have to detect the image use before invoicing but that seems to be the system.

Advertisement